Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 09:18 AM   #5141
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
And the fact you think me calling a racist a racist, is worse than the racist being racist, says a hell of alot about you
Leaving aside that I don't agree with any of your premises... what are you suggesting? Are you now accusing me of being a racist too? Does that label apply to anyone who challenges you for acting like this, in your mind?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 09:18 AM   #5142
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Well, this just got interesting!
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #5143
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
This thread is complete ####ing tire fire.
Honest question: How many times are you going to come into this thread, say something you know is going to get a reaction, and play the victim when you get that reaction from someone?

I don't think the reaction is deserved because I read your follow-up posts, but you've done this repeatedly and then come in acting surprised it went the way it went.

At a certain point you have to know that type of reaction is coming when you make that type of post. That's not to say you should just take it, but why act surprised?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #5144
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Leaving aside that I don't agree with any of your premises... what are you suggesting? Are you now accusing me of being a racist too? Does that label apply to anyone who challenges you for acting like this, in your mind?
What am I suggesting? I'm not suggesting anything, I am am stating outright, you are defending racism.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:52 AM   #5145
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Honest question: How many times are you going to come into this thread, say something you know is going to get a reaction, and play the victim when you get that reaction from someone?

I don't think the reaction is deserved because I read your follow-up posts, but you've done this repeatedly and then come in acting surprised it went the way it went.

At a certain point you have to know that type of reaction is coming when you make that type of post. That's not to say you should just take it, but why act surprised?
If this is where we are on the forum, that I have to justify a perfectly reasonable post so as not to trigger somebody from screaming at me that I'm a racist, then what's the point? I'm not going to go down that rabbit hole with you. What I wrote requires zero justification.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:03 AM   #5146
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
If this is where we are on the forum, that I have to justify a perfectly reasonable post so as not to trigger somebody from screaming at me that I'm a racist, then what's the point? I'm not going to go down that rabbit hole with you. What I wrote requires zero justification.
Then it's weird that you used three separate posts to justify, explain, and clarify it.

I don't need to explain to you why your post wasn't reasonable, you know why it wasn't, that's why you corrected it. So, again, why pretend and play the victim over it?
Old 09-28-2020, 10:05 AM   #5147
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

This is all getting a little too meta for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 10:50 AM   #5148
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Hey man, seriously go #### yourself. It was kind of funny the first couple times to see you flip out and spew verbal diarrhea over the foum, but just because I don't agree with your hysterical interpretation of the Breonna Taylor killing doesn't make me racist. Shut the #### up.
The truth hurts I guess
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 10:52 AM   #5149
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think everyone needs to calm the f*** down
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Envitro For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 11:03 AM   #5150
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like all arguments, I think this could be solved by watching South Park. In particular the racist flag episode where Stan and Kyle don't see a flag of a bunch of white dudes lynching a Black dude as racist because they just see dudes lynching another dude. Everyone ends up happy when the flag is changed to a bunch of different races lynching the man.

White Out 403 doesn't see this as "innocent Black couple shot at by police" but "known drug-dealing affiliate has warrant executed at residence."

White Out 403 did confuse the boyfriend (Walker, innocent shooter) and the ex-boyfriend (Glover, known drug dealer) earlier, but to him he's just seeing what the "law" is seeing; officers conducting warrant got shot at and fired back.

He's placing the blame on Taylor but it's not because of her race. She was involved in a homicide when she lent her rental car to her boyfriend-at-the-time (Glover) and someone ended up shot 8 times and killed, so she knew the risks. She herself expressed concerns to Glover in the leaked transcripts that she worried for him because of his drug-dealing and Walker was afraid it was either Glover or someone associated with him breaking into the house that night. She lived with him to the point that Glover still listed his home address as Taylor's residence. But despite the clear bad-apple (to say the least) in Glover, Taylor kept close ties with him including, according to Glover, holding onto $15,000 of his that night she was killed.

Rightfully or wrongfully, I think it's extremely likely White Out 403 would have the same opinion on this case if Taylor was white.

But then I think he's missing some of the bigger issues. Would a judge sign five warrants in two minutes if this was an affluential or even just whiter neighbourhood? Would they have fought for the no-knock warrant if she was white? Would the police even be investigating her at all if they weren't Black? Would they be executing the warrant at night and in streetwear if Breonna was a white woman? Where are all the pro-gun second-amendment loving NRA nuts who should be making Walker a hero? And of course would the cops have been charged if it was a white couple? We can't really know the answer to these (well except the NRA one, it's cause racists) but they need to be asked - and that's before getting into what systemic racism exists to keep Black people living in these less-affluential neighbourhoods dealing drugs and so on.

Most of the same figures in this raid had another botched raid in 2018 when they stormed a house (breaking into it despite not having a no-knock warrant) because they were investigating a complaint that a house was selling drugs. They saw a Black man and "smelled" weed, so that gave them enough to obtain a warrant. Only issue was that the complaint was made four months prior and the residents of the house had changed, so they literally broke into a house of some random family because they saw a Black man standing outside. Two of the three shooters were involved in that raid as well.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:19 AM   #5151
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
White Out 403 doesn't see this as "innocent Black couple shot at by police" but "known drug-dealing affiliate has warrant executed at residence."
I mean, I probably see this more as "the pointless war on drugs claims another victim". But I agree with your first part as I don't view this as a racial execution.

Quote:
White Out 403 did confuse the boyfriend (Walker, innocent shooter) and the ex-boyfriend (Glover, known drug dealer) earlier, but to him he's just seeing what the "law" is seeing; officers conducting warrant got shot at and fired back.
No, I am definitely aware of the difference between the 2 men. Her current BF is just a regular dude, with no criminal involvement. The reason the police were there, however, was they had Breonna on tape talking to her ex about using her residence as a trap house (slang for drug house) and they saw people coming and going who were known drug dealers.

Quote:
He's placing the blame on Taylor but it's not because of her race. She was involved in a homicide when she lent her rental car to her boyfriend-at-the-time (Glover) and someone ended up shot 8 times and killed, so she knew the risks. She herself expressed concerns to Glover in the leaked transcripts that she worried for him because of his drug-dealing and Walker was afraid it was either Glover or someone associated with him breaking into the house that night. She lived with him to the point that Glover still listed his home address as Taylor's residence. But despite the clear bad-apple (to say the least) in Glover, Taylor kept close ties with him including, according to Glover, holding onto $15,000 of his that night she was killed.
I definitely don't place *the* blame on Breonna, and this is unfair to suggest so. I'm making the point that there is no singular person or entity to blame here. It's a confluence of a lot of bad decisions, policies, and enforcement. Does Breonna share some blame? Of course, and I'm not going to pretend otherwise. The police were at her home because she was letting someone use it as a drug house. Does that mean its MOSTLY her fault? Or that she deserved to die? ####, of course not. But her decisions were a part of a really bad chain of events that precipitated the police showing up.
Quote:
Rightfully or wrongfully, I think it's extremely likely White Out 403 would have the same opinion on this case if Taylor was white.
Yeah, this is true.

Quote:
But then I think he's missing some of the bigger issues. Would a judge sign five warrants in two minutes if this was an affluential or even just whiter neighbourhood? Would they have fought for the no-knock warrant if she was white? Would the police even be investigating her at all if they weren't Black? Would they be executing the warrant at night and in streetwear if Breonna was a white woman? Where are all the pro-gun second-amendment loving NRA nuts who should be making Walker a hero? And of course would the cops have been charged if it was a white couple? We can't really know the answer to these (well except the NRA one, it's cause racists) but they need to be asked - and that's before getting into what systemic racism exists to keep Black people living in these less-affluential neighbourhoods dealing drugs and so on.
I had mentioned earlier in the thread, before someone started screaming at me that I was a racist, that I think the war on drugs is awful and needs to go, and does harm the black community more than any other. Full agreement here that the war on drugs is awful, needs to end, and is causing unneeded misery.

Last edited by White Out 403; 09-28-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:27 AM   #5152
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, I probably see this more as "the pointless war on drugs claims another victim". But I agree with your first part as I don't view this as a racial execution.
Sure, but do you ask which races/classes are being most affected by the war on drugs? A lot of the very same prosecutors putting in some young Black teen in jail for marijuana is going partying that night with a bunch of coke.

Quote:
No, I am definitely aware of the difference between the 2 men. Her current BF is just a regular dude, with no criminal involvement. The reason the police were there, however, was they had Breonna on tape talking to her ex about using her residence as a trap house (slang for drug house) and they saw people coming and going who were known drug dealers.
Yes, after being told a bunch of times. You were still saying her drug-dealing boyfriend shot at police last week, over six months after her death:
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...postcount=5071
Old 09-28-2020, 11:28 AM   #5153
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Hey man, seriously go #### yourself. It was kind of funny the first couple times to see you flip out and spew verbal diarrhea over the foum, but just because I don't agree with your hysterical interpretation of the Breonna Taylor killing doesn't make me racist. Shut the #### up.
I didn't even comment on Breonna Taylor, so I would love to know why my "hysterical interpretation" is.

You literally pull the same crap with every incident and find a way to manipulate things to defend it. You always blame the victim. You always deny systemic racism is a thing. You get called out for being what you are and you hide for a while. Then you come back and do it all over again. The pattern is pretty damn clear.

Maybe if you take your own advice and shut the #### up and stop making excuses for the genocide of black men in America maybe you won't be called a racist.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:30 AM   #5154
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, but do you ask which races/classes are being most affected by the war on drugs? A lot of the very same prosecutors putting in some young Black teen in jail for marijuana is going partying that night with a bunch of coke.
Poverty. Lack of social mobility. These are the problems that need addressing. Because guess what? When you end the warn on drugs, if you do, those other issues don't just go away. People turn to crime because there isn't social mobility available to them or a way to earn money.

Quote:
Yes, after being told a bunch of times. You were still saying her drug-dealing boyfriend shot at police last week, over six months after her death:
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...postcount=5071
Eh yeah ok that's a sloppy edit on my part of someone else's post. No one "told me" I was well informed already thanks. A thousand pardons.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:34 AM   #5155
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Eh yeah ok that's a sloppy edit on my part of someone else's post. No one "told me" I was well informed already thanks. A thousand pardons.
Well if you were "well informed" and knew he was innocent but were still framing him to be a drug-dealer, well that's a lot worse than just being wrong. That's alt-right level of "sloppy" misinformation.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #5156
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well if you were "well informed" and knew he was innocent but were still framing him to be a drug-dealer, well that's a lot worse than just being wrong. That's alt-right level of "sloppy" misinformation.
I wasn't framing anyone, good lord, I was doing a snappy "FYP" and didn't do it in a very good way. I've corrected that post and throw myself to the mercy of the court.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:46 AM   #5157
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

For me, this is the point. White Out knows exactly what he is doing. For him to get up in arms over Crown Royal's reaction (yikes btw) is at best disingenuous in my opinion. Is anyone else surprised by how this is going? Besides White Out I mean.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #5158
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
What am I suggesting? I'm not suggesting anything, I am am stating outright, you are defending racism.
Oh? What racism am I defending by suggesting that you shouldn't be allowed to personally attack other posters in violation of the forum rules? Please specifically quote where I have "defended racism". That's a horrible thing to accuse someone of, so I want you to be clear if you're accusing me of it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 12:14 PM   #5159
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
For me, this is the point. White Out knows exactly what he is doing. For him to get up in arms over Crown Royal's reaction (yikes btw) is at best disingenuous in my opinion. Is anyone else surprised by how this is going? Besides White Out I mean.
Is there a specific post you’re referring to? Genuine question. I’ve not followed this entire debacle.

Is it baiting to share a dissenting opinion? Is WO403 specifically quoting Crown Royal and trying to piss him off? Or is simply posting a differing opinion count?

It’s easy to share an opinion but it’s a lot of effort to defend it. Not everyone has the time or inclination to back up every post the way some people do.

I guess the question is whether or not it’s just sharing an opinion or intentionally posting inflammatory opinions with the sole purpose of pissing people off?

Having only followed this for the last page or two, it’s clear to me who is posting well thought out responses and who is looking for a fight. Perhaps that’s unfair without the full context.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-28-2020 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:45 PM   #5160
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

These are my views and do not necessarily reflect those of other moderators. I’m speaking as Jiri/Grant not as a moderator of this site.

Clearly these are uncomfortable and tense discussions. It is easy to come over the top and start to moderate by handing out infractions and suspensions. But is that what we need right now? Or do we need to allow ourselves and demand ourselves to actually sit with the discomfort and tension?

Far be it for me to speak on behalf of members of our community that are black or part of other minorities, but it seems like those people have been subjected to racist/discriminatory language for their entire lives….but as soon as someone is accused of being a racist now the line has been crossed? I don’t know – but it reeks a little of white fragility to me.

If someone is saying your are a racist…I would ask yourself why they have come to that conclusions. What behaviors, patterns and things have you said or done that have led them to saying that? Self-reflect instead of react. Because, in my experience, people don’t toss that stuff around for no reason.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread