Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2020, 04:27 PM   #2481
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Truth just caused me to blow a snot bubble.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 05:12 PM   #2482
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
The Women's tag title match is apparently off due to Covid too.

The story is a bunch of the NXT workers had a house party two of them being Mia and Shayna and then spread it to the main roster.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:22 PM   #2483
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
At the end of the day, having an inexperienced head writer and booker and combining it with a just wing your matches and promo's Is probably why things seem so disjointed on the show and at time nonsensical.
Yeah, AEW needs more experienced booking and writers so that they can come up with more coherent stories such as the company kayfabe offering contracts to Antifa knockoffs who straight up said they're there to destroy the company.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 06:03 PM   #2484
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Hey I never said the writing was good in WWE at all, in fact for the most part on stories like Retribution, its utter nonesense and crap.

Miro has had a tremendously bad start in AEW maybe its because they let him go out and do his own thing, and maybe he's not good at it.

You look at every WWE wrestler that has come out of WWE and the one thing that they talked about appreciating was the producers because they could also act like a filter against bad ideas.

Do I believe that WWE should allow more free style promos, sure, but again there are a lot of wrestlers that should absolutely not be allowed free range or free control.

AEW does a lot of things that just don't make sense in terms of their match construction and story lines, and that's on Kahn who has named himself the head booker and writer.

They are also way to reliant on big spots in every match or holy shyte moments in every match when its not needed.

Its like the old promote a first blood match in a card and then have every other match end up with wrestlers bleeding like stuck pigs. You eventually burn out your audience, or they demand more and more that you can't produce.

WWE is not a good product right now, its far from it. AEW is not a great well put together product right now, both are suffering from more bad writing and booking for different reasons .

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 06:05 PM   #2485
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Back to Clash of Champions.

The three way ladder match was really physical and the three performers were good. Interesting ending using handcuffs for Sammi to get the ring. Though I'm getting tired of people doing weird things with Hardy's ear holes.

The Zelina vs Asuka wasn't great at all. Really short. Zelina is just not ready for a title shot.

Old 09-27-2020, 08:43 PM   #2486
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That last match between Reigns and Uso was a great old school match with great story telling.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:04 PM   #2487
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That Broken Skull Session with Kurt Angle is a definite 5 star must watch. The level of drug problems he had are off the chart.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:51 PM   #2488
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Back to Clash of Champions.

The three way ladder match was really physical and the three performers were good. Interesting ending using handcuffs for Sammi to get the ring. Though I'm getting tired of people doing weird things with Hardy's ear holes.

The Zelina vs Asuka wasn't great at all. Really short. Zelina is just not ready for a title shot.
I loved the handcuffs through the earlobe, usually I hate the ear stuff because it's just cruel, and violence for the sake of violence, but this wasn't meant to cause pain, it was to make it so Jeff couldn't do much without hurting himself.

AND STILL YOUR INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION, THE GREAT LIBERATOR, SAMI ZAYN!!!
Old 09-28-2020, 01:52 AM   #2489
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

WHen Drew pulled out the red steel chair with the white cross, I started to crack up. Then with Joe saying "what kind of ambulance is this", I just lost it and laughed until I cried.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 04:04 AM   #2490
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hope Roman keeps wrestling shirtless, he has a really fantastic look and that stupid vest did him no favors. Just that small change makes him look like considerably more of a bad ass. This attitude change has also been very needed, he is a natural heel and his stoic demeanor really makes him look like a million bucks as a heel.

Also, Jey really just oozes charisma and is just awesome in the ring. He could be a star in the singles division, but the Usos are one of the greatest tag teams in history, so it is really hard to want to see them split up.

I should have waited until the match was over before posting. That end to the match was perfect IMO.

Last edited by Crown Royal; 09-28-2020 at 04:22 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 08:32 AM   #2491
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
WHen Drew pulled out the red steel chair with the white cross, I started to crack up. Then with Joe saying "what kind of ambulance is this", I just lost it and laughed until I cried.
I also laughed way too hard at this.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:09 AM   #2492
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I hope Roman keeps wrestling shirtless, he has a really fantastic look and that stupid vest did him no favors. Just that small change makes him look like considerably more of a bad ass. This attitude change has also been very needed, he is a natural heel and his stoic demeanor really makes him look like a million bucks as a heel.

Also, Jey really just oozes charisma and is just awesome in the ring. He could be a star in the singles division, but the Usos are one of the greatest tag teams in history, so it is really hard to want to see them split up.

I should have waited until the match was over before posting. That end to the match was perfect IMO.

The story telling in that match was amazingly good, and it can go in lots of different directions, though I believe we're heading towards a Reigns Rock match at Wrestlemania. But who does Reigns fight in HIAC, I think this story line needs to continue because frankly there aren't many other stand out contenders right now.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:12 AM   #2493
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a moment last night I thought maybe Edge would make an appearance to put the final nail in Randy's coffin but unless he's making a miraculous recovery they'll probably save it until he's fully recovered and can go straight into a feud.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:31 AM   #2494
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The story telling in that match was amazingly good, and it can go in lots of different directions, though I believe we're heading towards a Reigns Rock match at Wrestlemania. But who does Reigns fight in HIAC, I think this story line needs to continue because frankly there aren't many other stand out contenders right now.
I agree, especially since Uce didn't quit, big bro tossed in the towel for him. I think we need to see Roman/Jey 2 in HiaC.

That said, with how Alexa was glaring at Roman on Friday night, we know The Fiend/Roman isn't done yet; but I suspect that might be a Royal Rumble match.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:33 AM   #2495
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm really digging on the Alexa character change, just because of how well she's sold this thing. Normally I'd go ah BS, this is Kevin Sullivan territory, and while I'm not a fan of the overall story so far, Alexa has made this really interesting. I'm still convinced that she's probably one of the best workers in the company in terms of presentation, and selling it. Plus she's so damn strong on the mic.

The problem with this story is it can't be a long lasting one, they can't put her in a mask (But giving her broken doll makeup would be cool). Its clear that she will probably feud with Nicki and will be deprogrammed (Probably knowing the WWE they'll bring back a face Pappa Shango or Boogey man to do the whammy on her).

But Alexa has been stale for a while as a face, and though her work in the ring is ok, it feels like after her multiple concussions that the WWE has throttled her back on what she can do in the ring in terms of high impact.

But for this story line to work, she has to change her style and be absolutely brutal in the ring and have most of her fighting outside of the ring.

But yeah, Reigns and Fiend is going to be a thing again, though I'm really not a fan of the Fiend anymore, too many losses and doofus moments have wrecked him for me.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:11 AM   #2496
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'm really digging on the Alexa character change, just because of how well she's sold this thing. Normally I'd go ah BS, this is Kevin Sullivan territory, and while I'm not a fan of the overall story so far, Alexa has made this really interesting. I'm still convinced that she's probably one of the best workers in the company in terms of presentation, and selling it. Plus she's so damn strong on the mic.

The problem with this story is it can't be a long lasting one, they can't put her in a mask (But giving her broken doll makeup would be cool). Its clear that she will probably feud with Nicki and will be deprogrammed (Probably knowing the WWE they'll bring back a face Pappa Shango or Boogey man to do the whammy on her).

But Alexa has been stale for a while as a face, and though her work in the ring is ok, it feels like after her multiple concussions that the WWE has throttled her back on what she can do in the ring in terms of high impact.

But for this story line to work, she has to change her style and be absolutely brutal in the ring and have most of her fighting outside of the ring.

But yeah, Reigns and Fiend is going to be a thing again, though I'm really not a fan of the Fiend anymore, too many losses and doofus moments have wrecked him for me.
I've loved everything with The Fiend from day 1, except Goldberg. But Alexa has ushered this into even another tier for me. My favorite male and female characters working together in this angle has me so damn happy
Old 09-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #2497
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm a big fan of Bliss, just because she literally came from nowhere in the wrestling industry and showed a ton of determination, and improved every time I watched her. From a story standpoint, her story is a real cautionary tale of the dangers of things like mental health and eating disorders, she also seems to be a genuinely grounded person.

I've said I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up being the female version of Cena and finds her way into movies or TV. Her character work, facial work and just selling stuff is better then any other woman, save Bayley who's done an amazing job as a heel.

Just some random thoughts.

From the BSS with Angle last night, the amount of respect those guys have for Lesnar was amazing to hear. Especially the part that if Lesnar likes you as a wrestler there's nothing he won't do to get you over. As well they talked about the shooting star press that Lesnar nearly killed himself with and Angle took some of the blame for that decision.

Watching the best of Baszler in the background while I work today. She is in my mind the Bret Hart of the woman's division. Her stuff looks devastating real. But at the same time you can see where she protects people. She's not great on the mic but she just executes in the ring.

Out of the two main events last night, really the Reigns match was just so much better then the McIntyre match. I normally hate goofy gimmick matches like ambulance matches or casket matches, but even thought I thought the Orton McIntyre match was solid, it was so constrained by the ambulance as a prop.

Overall I thought last nights card was a step in the right direction for the WWE as far as PPV's go it was fairly solid from top to bottom, and pretty simple.

Bayley is one of the best heels in the business right now. I never thought she'd be a great heel in the Banks and Bayley partnership, but she became a far better heel then Sasha who's a natural heel. Now we need to see if Banks can be anything more then a mid card face.

In NXT Candice LaRae and Johnny Wrestling have done an amazing job as a heel team. LaRae though has found herself in going from the bland 2d face to the Poison Pixie. Dakota Kai is another one that's become a really good vicious heel. I do think though that Nox is ready to be elevated.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:42 PM   #2498
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mentioned it earlier in the thread but the WWE's booking (especially Smackdown) is getting much better.

More patient and letting stories grow organically instead of forcing things. Plus leaning into more long term booking.

Little stuff like Alexa staring at Roman menacingly when she's "possessed" by The Fiend is what can make storylines really pop.

And heel Roman is perfect. This is what the guy was born to be. Not the "Big Dog" that was forced into a face role, but the heel bruiser that he was when he first debuted with the Shield.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:26 PM   #2499
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The best thing that they did for Reigns was getting rid of the tactical vest and finally putting the Shield to rest. I mean I'd find it hilarious if some wrestler pulled out a gun and shot him in the chest and pinned him because he'd lost the bullet proof vest.

The thing that's made Roman's heel character work simply is less talking by him in promo's and Paul Heyman being added to the mix. If the goal when Lesnar departed was to put Heyman with Reigns then Vince really deserves a standing O for that move.

Oh and the reason why Reigns had to wear the tactical vest originally was that he wasn't much of a fitness buff, so it was to hide his beer belly. It was also a look that let Seth look bigger.

Smackdown's booking right now is getting really good. From the Alexa storyline to Banks and Bayley and all of the other ones, the stories are making sense.

Raw is still behind and Retribution is crap unless they have Batman show up and take on Bane or T-Bar or whatever his name is. Putting Mia in a mask was just stupid.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #2500
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'm a big fan of Bliss, just because she literally came from nowhere in the wrestling industry and showed a ton of determination, and improved every time I watched her. From a story standpoint, her story is a real cautionary tale of the dangers of things like mental health and eating disorders, she also seems to be a genuinely grounded person.

I've said I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up being the female version of Cena and finds her way into movies or TV. Her character work, facial work and just selling stuff is better then any other woman, save Bayley who's done an amazing job as a heel.

Just some random thoughts.

From the BSS with Angle last night, the amount of respect those guys have for Lesnar was amazing to hear. Especially the part that if Lesnar likes you as a wrestler there's nothing he won't do to get you over. As well they talked about the shooting star press that Lesnar nearly killed himself with and Angle took some of the blame for that decision.

Watching the best of Baszler in the background while I work today. She is in my mind the Bret Hart of the woman's division. Her stuff looks devastating real. But at the same time you can see where she protects people. She's not great on the mic but she just executes in the ring.

Out of the two main events last night, really the Reigns match was just so much better then the McIntyre match. I normally hate goofy gimmick matches like ambulance matches or casket matches, but even thought I thought the Orton McIntyre match was solid, it was so constrained by the ambulance as a prop.

Overall I thought last nights card was a step in the right direction for the WWE as far as PPV's go it was fairly solid from top to bottom, and pretty simple.

Bayley is one of the best heels in the business right now. I never thought she'd be a great heel in the Banks and Bayley partnership, but she became a far better heel then Sasha who's a natural heel. Now we need to see if Banks can be anything more then a mid card face.

In NXT Candice LaRae and Johnny Wrestling have done an amazing job as a heel team. LaRae though has found herself in going from the bland 2d face to the Poison Pixie. Dakota Kai is another one that's become a really good vicious heel. I do think though that Nox is ready to be elevated.
I think Bliss is the best woman at character/mic work ever in WWE, she killed it no matter what they ask of her. She has always been such an amazing heel and the way she can control a crowd is second to none in that division. I always loved how she'd sound so genuine and the moment the crowd starts to think she's changing, BOOM. I think her being a genuine good person is why it works because when she starts doing that, we think it's the real her coming out.

I really liked the PPV last night, it was an excellent B PPV.