Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 06:13 AM   #8281
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I don't see any world where the Flames see that centre depth as sustainable for a whole season. I don't think they view Ruzicka as NHL-ready just yet.

They'd probably look at guys like Nate Thompson or Johan Larsson on the cheap in UFA before they let that happen for an extended period of time.
I hope the Flames have a player in Ruzicka but it’s silly to give him a permanent spot based on hope.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:39 AM   #8282
flamesfan55
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Gaudreau sent home for Voracek, Gostisbehere + Tanner Laczynski (future Captain)
Hanifin to Devils for 18th & 20th - not in long term plans
Bennett will be happier in TO
Jankowski can be had for future considerations
Ryan sent away, not in coaches plans, relegated to 4th line
Rittich leaves too, time for Zagidulin
Kylington is the deal sweetener, not in coaches plans either

Hall (7.0) - Monahan - Voracek
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Dubé - Laczynski - Mangiapane (2.25)
Lucic - Ruzicka - Reider (.700)

Giordano - Andersson
Gostisbehere - Vatanen (4.875)
Välimäki - Mackey

Markstrom (4.5)
Zagidulin

Cap Hit: $79,890,832
Buyouts: $2,666,667
Bonuses: $947,500
Cap Space: $1,609,168
The Johnny trade is AWFUL, Ryan has been a great signing and isnt going anywhere, you aren't getting 2 top 20 first round picks for Hanifin and Markstrom isn't signing for 4.5M.
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfan55 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 07:06 AM   #8283
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan55 View Post
The Johnny trade is AWFUL, Ryan has been a great signing and isnt going anywhere, you aren't getting 2 top 20 first round picks for Hanifin and Markstrom isn't signing for 4.5M.
But other than those 4 insignificant points, how do you like it LOL.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
KPJ
Old 09-28-2020, 07:36 AM   #8284
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan55 View Post
While I agree most of it is bad, I'm not sure why Markstrom taking 500k less than Lehner is egregious enough to even bring up. If someone give Markstrom 6 years a 500k lower AAV is far from inconceivable
Old 09-28-2020, 07:48 AM   #8285
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
While I agree most of it is bad, I'm not sure why Markstrom taking 500k less than Lehner is egregious enough to even bring up. If someone give Markstrom 6 years a 500k lower AAV is far from inconceivable
With the cap being what it is this year and many teams handcuffed by it, you may be right.

In a normal off season though, I suspect Markstrom would get much much more than 5 M a year, nevermind less.

The G market this next couple weeks is absolutely fascinating to me.

Who blinks first? A GM scared of missing out on one of the plethora of upper tier UFA G's or one of the top tier UFA G's who want some sense of security and to secure a job moving forward.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:01 AM   #8286
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Likely because the Canucks have likely offered him more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2020, 08:19 AM   #8287
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think people also need to realize that a lot of this trade talk is just that, talk and rumours. I think some insiders take a fair bit of liberty or leaps that just snowball. Same sort of thing happened last off season where apparently Flames were shopping Bennett hard, which Treliving denied and was a little pissed because he had to call up Sam and talk to him.

I still think that Gaudreau plays another year unless an over-payment comes at the draft. I don't think Trelving can afford to trade Gaudreau and miss out on Hall, if that is the plan. If the team guts itself for draft picks and prospects, that probably doesn't send the message you want to a UFA looking to sign.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:19 AM   #8288
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Likely because the Canucks have likely offered him more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure how likely that is with a flat cap and also trying to re-sign Toffoli and Tanev. Even if they have offered him more, with the expansion draft coming up, Markstrom is looking at potentially being exposed by the Canucks; so it is very likely he is seeking an NMC to protect him from that scenario. If the Canucks aren't willing to give in to that demand, they will have to offer him more money. And that doesn't even factor in next summer when Demko, Pettersson & Quinn are all up for new deals and will pretty easily go from sub-3m combined to 15m combined, so I'm not even sure the Canucks will be willing to offer him term and a higher AAV.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:25 AM   #8289
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
With the cap being what it is this year and many teams handcuffed by it, you may be right.

In a normal off season though, I suspect Markstrom would get much much more than 5 M a year, nevermind less.

The G market this next couple weeks is absolutely fascinating to me.

Who blinks first? A GM scared of missing out on one of the plethora of upper tier UFA G's or one of the top tier UFA G's who want some sense of security and to secure a job moving forward.
There really isn't a plethora of top tier FA goalies though. There is Markstrom and.......? I know Lehner is still technically a pending UFA but the only reason his deal isn't official is because it would put the Knights over the cap for next season; for all intents and purposes, it is completed. Everyone else is at least a tier below, and two top tier guys are rumored to be available via trade, one making 4.5m for two more years while the cap is flat. So I feel like teams will look at that number too and say 4.5m+1st is better than signing for more than 5.5m
Old 09-28-2020, 08:51 AM   #8290
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

there are few teams that don't need to add at least one goalie, and the few that have two seem to want to trade one
Old 09-28-2020, 08:59 AM   #8291
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
there are few teams that don't need to add at least one goalie, and the few that have two seem to want to trade one
and some, well one anyways, with 2, that are rumored to want a 3rd
Old 09-28-2020, 09:46 AM   #8292
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
Sounds like there has indeed been significant interest in teams trading for Torey Krug's rights (@RearAdBsBlog on the case). My belief is last offer from #NHLBruins to Krug's camp was 6 years x $6.5 million.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:00 AM   #8293
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I s'pose. Anything can happen. FWIW he's nowhere to be found on Corey Pronman's rankings either (https://theathletic.com/2034929/2020...elphia-flyers/, 17 players ranked)

He's an honourable mention on Scott Wheeler's (https://theathletic.com/1581033/2020...elphia-flyers/) with 20 guys ahead of him.

You can diss SB if you want but those guys probably actually watch the Flyers' kids way more than we do. I know Wheeler and Pronman do.

Anywho. I think a deal like this makes a fair amount of sense.

Gaudreau for the Flyers' 2020 1st, Frost, Zamula, Aube-Kubel, and Gostisbehere.

Gives the Flames another pick in a deep draft, a really good C and D prospect each, a young RHS winger with grit and decent scoring, and a D who has been really good in the past. Tons of upside there.

Going for Matt Strome would be another Hanowski-esque mistake, IMO. The Flames got Hanowski and Agostino for Iginla when neither guy was considered a top-10 guy in Pitt's prospect pool.
To me Gostisbehere has negative value, especially at that contract and that term. He is Marc Andre Bergeron in his prime without the defensive presence.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #8294
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
He is Marc Andre Bergeron in his prime without the defensive presence.
So he's Marc Andre Bergeron....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 10:04 AM   #8295
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
Sounds like there has indeed been significant interest in teams trading for Torey Krug's rights (@RearAdBsBlog on the case). My belief is last offer from #NHLBruins to Krug's camp was 6 years x $6.5 million.
Hopefully Vegas lands him. Then Toronto trades for Dumba. Then because those destinations are gone we land Pietro.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:08 AM   #8296
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lehner giving Vegas a bargain has nothing to do with Markstrom...he is the top UFA goalie you aren't going to get him for a bargain in Calgary
Old 09-28-2020, 10:10 AM   #8297
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Lehner giving Vegas a bargain has nothing to do with Markstrom...he is the top UFA goalie you aren't going to get him for a bargain in Calgary
Until other contracts are signed this off-season, we have no idea whether Lehner is a bargain or not due to the flat cap.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:15 AM   #8298
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
At this point in his career, Dube on the 4th line is a waste of his ability and development. He would be way better off playing wing on the third line than 4C and losing half his ice-time.

But I do want to try and add the winger depth to make Lindholm 2C and Backlund 3C.
Oh, I agree, but he’d be a better centre than those two options. And I do like Ryan but it seems like a lot to spend on a 4C when the likes of Gagner just signed for $850K.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:19 AM   #8299
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Ryan is way, way better than Gagner. He's not a 4C.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 10:22 AM   #8300
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Until other contracts are signed this off-season, we have no idea whether Lehner is a bargain or not due to the flat cap.
We already know that Vegas pays less for free agents than Calgary plus Lehner never actually tested the market. If Markstrom was willing to take 4.5 he would already be signed.