Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #861
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
Agree that Knack seems to be getting bad scores, which is dissapointing, but I would not call scores of 7-8 for Killzone mediocre.
Well, I think that is kinda how people see review scores these days (7 being total crap an 8 being okay and a 9 being good). Probably why a lot of people scream against scoring reviews and especially metacritic scores.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #862
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A little disappointed about Knack. I was hoping it would be a great platform game. I'll probably just return it and get Assassin's Creed 4. The PS4 launch titles don't seem that great. Hopefully there are some fun indie games coming out shortly.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #863
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a lot of these reviews are rushed and am taking with a grain of salt.

A lot of the review units were just provided on Monday. Can you really properly review 6 launch titles in only 3 days?

The guys at Giant Bomb tweeted that even though it may not be best for business, they are going to take the time to review the game and system. I will wait and see what they have to say first.

Still think Killzone's review scores are good for a launch title though. the range seems to be from 7-9 with one outlier from Polygon who gave it a 5.

Plus the thing with reviews is to find a site you trust and go with what they say. I tend to look at IGN, GameTrailers, GiantBomb, and Destructoid since in the past the games they recommend more closely align with my tastes.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 11-13-2013 at 09:21 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #864
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Knack's scores are disappointing. I didn't think it'd knock it out of the park but I was hoping for a 7-8 type game.

Killzone sounds good though!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #865
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Generally I don't buy games rated under an 8 because I simply don't have time to waste on mediocre games and I've yet to find a game that doesn't get at least universal 8+ scores as very good. That said I have Killone preordered and will still play it because really there aren't any other great launch titles for the PS4.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #866
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah launch games of any sort will always be a little funky. We're also going to be talking about two consoles with multiple year life cycles with features not even available at launch. I kinda wonder how might performance on the games be adjusted after launch with day one patches and such.

There is always going to be a spread of opinions and review scores and I don't normally subscribe to conspiracy theories and such. But I give the Polygon website a wide berth or avoid it entirely.

A good portion of the gaming community accuse it of being way too friendly with Microsoft (on the record as taking cash from them) or just being down right incompetent. Their reviews tend be the furthest negative outliers on Sony exclusive games (The Last of Us, Ni No Kuni, Dragon's Crown) that consistently scored very highly everywhere else.

And really, I have a hard time believing any website that scored the recent SimCity as a 9.5. It was universally mocked and rightly called out as blatant shenanigans - so they subsequently revised it down to a 8.0, and then revised it again to a 4.0 and finally revised it for a FOURTH time to 6.5

At best, they seem to be click-bait a lot of time.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #867
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Kijiji price for PS4 ranging from $550 to $800, a few posts offering $500, average is about $630. Only $200 profit??
Old 11-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #868
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you guys think about Resogun? I can't help but think "Defender" every time I see it.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #869
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
What do you guys think about Resogun? I can't help but think "Defender" every time I see it.
Free and looks fun, great reviews. Don't know why anyone WOULDN'T get it?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #870
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Killzone/AC4/COD will be my launch titles. That should get me to the new Mario and Zelda the following week
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #871
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had pre-ordered Knack, Killzone, and Fifa from the E3 sale and figured those would be my launch titles.

However the Future Shop sale changed that and I traded up (for $10 each) to the PS4 versions of AC: IV, COD, and Battlefield at EB Games last night.

Still looking hard at NBA 2K14 too since I have heard such good things about it and have some games that qualify for the Future Shop "Trade 2 Get $60" that I likely won't play now that next gen has started.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #872
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Live in less than an hour:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/11/1...e-launch-party

To celebrate the launch, come join IGN Wednesday as we live stream the complete console experience. Hosts Daemon Hatfield and Colin Moriarty will boot up the console at 10am Pacific Time, showing off the hardware, the UI, and all the various services that you want to know about.

After that, they'll be joined by the rest of the staff at IGN as we walk through loads of launch titles. We'll be playing Killzone and Knack, Assassin's Creed 4 and NBA 2K14, Contrast and Need for Speed, and many others. We'll also be taking your questions about the games and the system and might even have time to share some of our own favorite launch day memories.

The stream will run through 4pm that day,
Old 11-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #873
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hmm...thinking of returning Knack. I got it for $40, so I may keep it though and just trade it in later. I did enjoy the demo.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #874
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Hmm...thinking of returning Knack. I got it for $40, so I may keep it though and just trade it in later. I did enjoy the demo.
If Future Shop and Best Buy stand by their guaranteed $40 trade in value for next gen games until Jan. 7th you may as well play it and then trade it in for the same value it cost you.

That is my plan, and then I will likely trade it in closer to Christmas for a credit to use on the boxing day sales.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #875
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
If Future Shop and Best Buy stand by their guaranteed $40 trade in value for next gen games until Jan. 7th you may as well play it and then trade it in for the same value it cost you.

That is my plan, and then I will likely trade it in closer to Christmas for a credit to use on the boxing day sales.
Thanks! I hadn't heard of this deal before - that's awesome!
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #876
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Can you trade in games at FS/BestBuy and use the credit towards non-gaming related things?
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #877
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

IGN has a running summary of the launch game reviews to date. Pretty decent all told, only just Contrast (7.5) and Knack (5.9) below an 8.

http://ca.ign.com/games/reviews?plat...4&sortBy=score
Old 11-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #878
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Come on Future Shop, ship my game and PS4 already!
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #879
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Can you trade in games at FS/BestBuy and use the credit towards non-gaming related things?
You get a gift card that can be used for anything in the store.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #880
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL!

Apparently it "wobbles" if you purposely push down on the edge. It has 3 feet rather than 4 - probably for aesthetic reasons if placed in a vertical position. Good thing the heavy power supply is on the "bottom" and will probably keep it firmly on the 3 feet.