Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2020, 12:02 PM   #21
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Episode 1 with Ryan and Eric is out, go give it a listen. If you only want to listen to the hockey stuff skip ahead to about the 1:20 mark of the episode.

iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcas...s/id1510534073

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/47fVP1...2sgMrfyuK9qSg4

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-58289563...sWUEiGjtig5hts

Google Play: https://play.google.com/music/m/Ir53...bDO_HSAVOjmbUw

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #22
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excellent work mike . I agree with many points from Leslie and Francis . I agree with the ward take, lucid take, battle of Alberta take. The only take I couldn’t agree with was Leslie on harmonic. Yes he brings a different style but I don’t think you can pay him term and money to come back. It would end up a horrible contract within 2 years. Thanks for touching in the hall question. I still think flame s should get him. They have no 1st line talent in the pipeline . Leslie and Francis both believe Johnny won’t re-sign so he could be the replacement a full year from now when they deal Johnny. Yes I know there is cap constraints but Hall won’t be able to get what he wants on his wish list in this off season. What contending team is giving huge money and term? Maybe bottom feeders would but contending teams won’t be able to fit that kind of contract in. I know I rather they give Hall his money over re-signing Harmonic.
Also you have a great voice for radio.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2020, 12:40 PM   #23
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

^ Thank you very much. Glad you enjoyed the episode.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:54 PM   #24
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey Scorp, I've subscribed! Kevin Woodley or David Hutchison of InGoal Magazine might be an interesting discussion to bring more detail of the art of goaltending to the more knowledgeable hockey fan.

Last edited by GrrlGoalie33; 05-11-2020 at 01:10 PM. Reason: fixed spelling errors
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrrlGoalie33 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2020, 01:01 PM   #25
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

^ That sounds like it would be awesome. Maybe I'll look into it.

Old 05-11-2020, 02:16 PM   #26
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Guys I have a really awesome guest coming for Episode 2 next week. I'm working to confirm the details right now but... it's gonna be lit.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2020, 02:36 PM   #27
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great job Scorp! I didn't agree with very much either guy said but it was an excellent listen. I don't think either guy has a clue what JG is looking to do regarding his playing future. I don't think Ward is a good head coach either. I agree with Leslie that if we can finish this season we should. I actually agree with both that Lucic was a good trade for us but think Francis is out to lunch if he doesn't think both the Oilers and Flames would use compliance buyouts on those two guys.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2020, 03:02 PM   #28
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great little chat. It was nice to hear people talk flames again and you asked some good questions.

It drives me crazy that these guys both think Hamonic is the obvious choice given the options of re-signing Brodie or Hamonic. Francis said he thought Hamonic would be looking for a bigger pay-day because he feels like he's been giving a discount the last 3 years. And even with that they both said they would and should do the Hamonic deal. What?

Hamonic is fine and all, would be happy if he still had a year left on his deal, but there are so many reasons you don't give this guy a big money deal with term. I don't even know where to start. And to hear two guys who supposedly have Flames contacts talk it about like that. Bonkers.

I do put stock in Ryan Leslie's definitive statement that Gaudreau will not re-sign. Those 2 actually seem like they're buddies based on their intermission interviews. He said it like he was 100% sure, then of course qualified it with, in my opinion. It's almost a good thing that there is that level of certainty surrounding it. You must trade him if they know he won't re-sign.

I really like listening to these guys and I hope you get them again. I do find it odd when there is a subject (like the Hamonic one) where I just can't get on board with what they're saying.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #29
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I would love to have them back. They're both terrific guys.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:56 PM   #30
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dude. I'm very impressed. What a coup to get Ryan Leslie and Eric Francis at any time for an amateur podcast, but to do it for your very first (proper) edition is mind bottling. At least to me. Well done!

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2020, 06:56 PM   #31
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good job Scorp! Look forward to checking out your future episodes as well.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2020, 07:05 PM   #32
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your theme music sucks, though.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #33
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Your theme music sucks, though.
I dunno I found it one night at 3AM and I thought it was a jam. Plus it's CC protected so I can use it all I want with attribution. But I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:01 PM   #34
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, 33 posts in and nobody has slagged on Francis. Seems that coved has made CP a more gentle place
Old 05-11-2020, 08:09 PM   #35
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

^ Eric definitely has his #Takes but he's the nicest guy I've ever met in hockey (no exaggeration). He is such a kind man especially towards guys like me trying to get a foot in the door. He's the kind of guy who buys you a cup of tea before you even have a chance to get a word in edgewise. I quarrel with his hockey opinions more than perhaps any other Flames journalist (although, to be fair, Flames journalists are, on the whole, fantastic, Francis included) but he has a heart of gold and is downright hilarious. And I would say all the same things about Ryan Leslie – can't wait to get the chance to talk to him more. Can't thank them both enough for coming on the show and giving me a chance.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2020, 10:05 PM   #36
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
^ Eric definitely has his #Takes but he's the nicest guy I've ever met in hockey (no exaggeration). He is such a kind man especially towards guys like me trying to get a foot in the door. He's the kind of guy who buys you a cup of tea before you even have a chance to get a word in edgewise. I quarrel with his hockey opinions more than perhaps any other Flames journalist (although, to be fair, Flames journalists are, on the whole, fantastic, Francis included) but he has a heart of gold and is downright hilarious. And I would say all the same things about Ryan Leslie – can't wait to get the chance to talk to him more. Can't thank them both enough for coming on the show and giving me a chance.
I'm not a fan of Francis but I enjoyed your podcast with him and Leslie.

It was great hearing some hockey, especially when we are all biting our nails waiting to hear what the NHL is going to do.

Again, thanks so much for doing this! Keep on doing stuff like this and I really think you can move on to bigger and better things involving journalism/interviewing/podcasts.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 12:57 AM   #37
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I admittedly skipped the majority of the movie segment as I wanted to get the whole hockey part in while I was still at work, but it was legitimately excellent. Your questions were good, you handled multiple guests well (quality guests at that) giving each their equal share of time to answer questions or make their points without anyone sitting around for too long, plus it felt like you kept them engaged and interested the whole time. You were clear and concise with your own points, and your audio setup seemed pretty solid too. There were just the couple minor technical hiccups like connection issues on the guests' end, but you kept it flowing really smoothly. If I hadn't been told, I would have never known it was your first show. I'd listen again any time.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jetfire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 01:00 AM   #38
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

^ Awesome, that's great to hear! Yeah I think I've identified the cause of the reverb/feedback issue in the latter part of the interview and I'll try to tackle it in the future.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:01 AM   #39
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any chance you'd put it on Podbean too? Might just be me, but that's where I listen to most podcasts including Spittin' Chiclets and stuff. Who knows, could reach a few more ears as well.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:14 AM   #40
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Sure, let me look into it.