Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2020, 04:29 AM   #101
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

If ward becomes the HC full time, the team will be average at best but at least it'll be fun guessing who picked the music at practice, and at the end of the day isn't that good enough?

No? People want the team to do well?? Ya, Ward shouldn't be the Head coach then.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:57 AM   #102
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesforever99 View Post
If Ward somehow gets promoted to full-time head coach, I think I would already accept the teams fate for next season as once again being mediocre. IMO he should go or be demoted back to assistant coach, there are better options available (although management is cheap when it comes to head coaches) that we should look at. I don't think I can see another game of the team being down 1 late in the 3rd and Ward electing not to call TO without putting my flames jersey on the TV then smashing it.
Ward is an ASSOCIATE coach.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #103
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

Does that trigger you or something? I mean you know its serious when you whip out the all caps.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:22 AM   #104
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It's also strange to whip out the all caps over a matter of semantics. An associate coach is functionally an assistant coach.

That said, you really can't go back to that well. If the team opts against making Ward the full time head coach, we pretty much have to walk away entirely and let him try to find a job as an HC somewhere else.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #105
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Assistant TO the Regional Manager!
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #106
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
It's also strange to whip out the all caps over a matter of semantics. An associate coach is functionally an assistant coach...
Functionally, yes. But more to the point I am a proponent of accuracy. The title carries with it a defined seniority and I would assume a higher salary. In other words, if the Flames and Ward both agreed to stay together even with the addition of a new HC, he most definitely would not be demoted all the way down to an assistant. Either the Flames let him go or he would walk away before that were to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 04-06-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:23 PM   #107
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Consistent playoff contender? Ill take it. Sign me up for BB. I dont even care if the Flames win the cup I just want to be a respectable team that is actually mentioned when discussion comes up about winning the the cup. They could be the Sharks of the of the last 10 yrs sans this year and ill take it at this point.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 09:03 AM   #108
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Functionally, yes. But more to the point I am a proponent of accuracy. The title carries with it a defined seniority and I would assume a higher salary. In other words, if the Flames and Ward both agreed to stay together even with the addition of a new HC, he most definitely would not be demoted all the way down to an assistant. Either the Flames let him go or he would walk away before that were to happen.
Seems like a weird thing to care about. People make verabal/typing mistakes all the time, you seem like the type to hammer down on that at every opportunity. To what end I don't really know. I think it probably just pisses people off honestly.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:16 AM   #109
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Consistent playoff contender? Ill take it. Sign me up for BB. I dont even care if the Flames win the cup I just want to be a respectable team that is actually mentioned when discussion comes up about winning the the cup. They could be the Sharks of the of the last 10 yrs sans this year and ill take it at this point.
No kidding. It's like some people haven't been paying attention to just how bad the flames have been for 30 years now. It's why I generally don't post in e=ng. They are like the one team that has had less success. It's like watching the two loser, unemployed brothers in a rich family fight over who is less bad lol. Some funny stuff in there I guess but people in glass houses probably shouldn't throw stones.

Honestly the constant lack of any real success has drained me. I've been watching this team for 30 years and I'm just completely bored by them at this point. Combined with how our ownership acted during arena negotiations and the covid19 thing with its employees, I've lost alot of fandom for this franchise since the BT 'rebuild'. There was so much promise in 2013, a new beginning. Instead it's just the same old flames by 2020 after 7 years of questionable desicion making. We are tapped out, average and have a shallow asset pool to work with still after 7 years worth of time to fix the problem. And apparently have a bunch of a-holes for owners judging by some of their actions. Honestly I'm really curious about Seattle and might try to get in on the ground level there. Good chance they make it to round 3 several times before the flames do and they don't even exist yet lol
Old 04-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #110
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

As if we needed more proof, this is proof positive that Francis has ABSOLUTELY no idea what he is talking about.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:02 PM   #111
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some people realize that BB making the playoffs with stacked Washington and Anaheim teams doesn't mean the Flames would have had similar success with him behind the bench.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:30 PM   #112
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Some people realize that BB making the playoffs with stacked Washington and Anaheim teams doesn't mean the Flames would have had similar success with him behind the bench.
Better hire the guy with no success at any level then. Seriously what was Treliving thinking on those two hires? Lets snag two guys that either no track record or a losing track record. The fact that goofus was his top choice after a thorough search says so much. Then he doesnt even conduct a search at all on the next guy and zeroes in on a guy who is a loser at every level.

I'm thinking Boudreau would have at least made the playoffs each year and probably would have won more than one lousy playoff game in 4 seasons.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:59 PM   #113
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Better hire the guy with no success at any level then. Seriously what was Treliving thinking on those two hires? Lets snag two guys that either no track record or a losing track record. The fact that goofus was his top choice after a thorough search says so much. Then he doesnt even conduct a search at all on the next guy and zeroes in on a guy who is a loser at every level.

I'm thinking Boudreau would have at least made the playoffs each year and probably would have won more than one lousy playoff game in 4 seasons.

Kinda like Craig Berube?
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #114
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Kinda like Craig Berube?
Craig Berube was an assistant head coach for the Blues who was moved to interim head coach exactly how it played out for Ward. Not exactly sure what point you are making.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:35 PM   #115
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its a valid point the reigning Stanley Cup winning coach had no previous head coaching experience in the NHL
Old 04-07-2020, 09:44 PM   #116
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

He coached the Flyers.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 09:54 PM   #117
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Craig Berube was an assistant head coach for the Blues who was moved to interim head coach exactly how it played out for Ward. Not exactly sure what point you are making.
Exactly the point you are making.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:01 PM   #118
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
He coached the Flyers.
I stand corrected but looking at his numbers it makes his point more valid

Berube had a terrible record with the Flyers (.429 winning %) so he took over the Blues with limited head coaching experience and ZERO success.

And then won the cup

Last edited by dino7c; 04-07-2020 at 10:04 PM.
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:38 PM   #119
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I stand corrected but looking at his numbers it makes his point more valid

Berube had a terrible record with the Flyers (.429 winning %) so he took over the Blues with limited head coaching experience and ZERO success.

And then won the cup
When you have an okay but not top 10 roster like the Flames, you should probably hire the best coach available. The guy with the most extensive record of success in the NHL. I'm happy it worked out for berube and the blues but that doesn't mean promoting Ward here is a good idea or that goofus and racist were good hires.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:54 PM   #120
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
When you have an okay but not top 10 roster like the Flames, you should probably hire the best coach available. The guy with the most extensive record of success in the NHL. I'm happy it worked out for berube and the blues but that doesn't mean promoting Ward here is a good idea or that goofus and racist were good hires.

Look I'm not 100% on Ward either I just think BB is way over rated and has only done well in the regular season with top 3 type rosters.

You say the Flames don't have a top 10 roster yet since Ward took over the Flames have the 8th best record in the NHL.

So which is it? Did ward get more out of his roster (good coaching job) or do the Flames have a better than top 8 roster?

Last edited by dino7c; 04-07-2020 at 10:57 PM.
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote