Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-22-2020, 11:57 AM   #2801
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weekends are tough enough for me to get out but I have pretty much completely given up on anything but late afternoon or twilight tee times if I am going. Seems to be better chance of finding something and rates can be better too.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #2802
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Played Shaganappi this morning, absolutely gorgeous day for golf
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #2803
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to say, I think I like golf better with the Covid rules. I try to avoid the sand, but not having to take is pretty nice! I have also found the pace of play to be really good.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:42 PM   #2804
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Ya, not having to rake is lovely. And I’ll agree that the pace has been good, I finished in about 3:35 today, which for a city course on a Sunday is pretty good.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:18 PM   #2805
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Sunday is looking nice and there is not a tee time available in the city before 1:00 pm that I can find. Sometimes I wish I had a membership.
Ended up booking sundre golf club for 9:50 this morning.

Beautiful day for a drive and a beautiful day for golf!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:22 PM   #2806
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I have to say, I think I like golf better with the Covid rules. I try to avoid the sand, but not having to take is pretty nice! I have also found the pace of play to be really good.

So is the rule that you play from beside the sand or that you play out of the sand but don't rake?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:24 PM   #2807
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
So is the rule that you play from beside the sand or that you play out of the sand but don't rake?
We’ve been playing in the sand but you can move your ball if in a foot print. Haven’t had issues yet. Some people just pull the ball out.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:38 PM   #2808
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I got paired up with an older member from my course. She's 70 years old and plays pretty decent golf for her age. Anyhow we get to hole #8 and there these 4 guys in their late teens teeing off. She watches them tee off and then proceeds to ask why they are playing from the blues when they don't hit it that far. They told her to #### off and mind her own business!

I'm watching the above in disbelief. I told her later that you can't lecture people on what tee box they should be playing from. She didn't listen to me an phoned the pro to complain. Pro comes out in a cart and tells her much the same thing I told her.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:48 PM   #2809
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I got paired up with an older member from my course. She's 70 years old and plays pretty decent golf for her age. Anyhow we get to hole #8 and there these 4 guys in their late teens teeing off. She watches them tee off and then proceeds to ask why they are playing from the blues when they don't hit it that far. They told her to #### off and mind her own business!

I'm watching the above in disbelief. I told her later that you can't lecture people on what tee box they should be playing from. She didn't listen to me an phoned the pro to complain. Pro comes out in a cart and tells her much the same thing I told her.
I agree it's not good etiquette, necessarily, But someone has to tell them. It is so frustrating watching 20-handicap tough guys bunt it around from the tips, especially when you're playing behind them.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:49 PM   #2810
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The question is were they keeping pace? Doesn’t matter where they play if they keep pace.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:51 PM   #2811
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The question is were they keeping pace? Doesn’t matter where they play if they keep pace.
That's right. If they're keeping pace, I couldn't care less. When I say it's frustrating I mean watching them struggle their way around the course.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:19 PM   #2812
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Playing my first round of the year tomorrow at Hamptons. Anyone else get Crush Covid tee times?
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:02 PM   #2813
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Preferred lies in the bunkers.

Waste areas no change.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:16 PM   #2814
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
They fell a hole behind on the last 4 holes. My problem is they took forever to tee off and when they were on the green, they had to analyze every putt.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:23 PM   #2815
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I agree it's not good etiquette, necessarily, But someone has to tell them. It is so frustrating watching 20-handicap tough guys bunt it around from the tips, especially when you're playing behind them.
You don't know how they're going to react, so telling them isn't that simple. It would be better if the starter asked the group what their handicaps were and suggested the proper tee box to play from.

I could be wrong but I think it's an ego thing for a lot of golfers. I get questioned sometimes from different people I play with as to why I play from the whites. I simply tell people what my handicap is.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:53 AM   #2816
ryeguy252
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I was able to get heritage. Hopefully the mosquitos aren't too bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
Playing my first round of the year tomorrow at Hamptons. Anyone else get Crush Covid tee times?
ryeguy252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:41 AM   #2817
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
You'll have to let us know what The Hamptons are like. I have a round at Bearspaw this afternoon with my buddies. I thought about Hamptons but I've never had a strong desire to go play there despite it being only a few minutes from my house. I might check it out later this year but I'm hoping Mickelson National will be open for next month and I'd like to go to Heritage as well.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:00 AM   #2818
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Depends on the course but most I see seem to give the option of playing it or moving it out of the trap.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:03 AM   #2819
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Depends on the course but most I see seem to give the option of playing it or moving it out of the trap.
Are you penalized for moving it out of the trap? We're currently playing with the following:

(i) if it's in the bunker (and not in a footprint) you play your ball as you would normally
(ii) if it's in a footprint you can move it (within the bunker) with no penalty
(iii) if you want to move it out of the bunker you can do so but are assessed a one stroke penalty

Also with respect to the previous comment about the group lining up every putt, I get that can be frustrating when they're looking at a double or triple bogey and still lining things up, however, we've been getting increasingly frustrated with people playing too quickly on the greens. Increasingly, we're seeing groups just hit one putt without lining anything up, call it good and pick up their balls (no matter how far out they were) and come and wait on the tee box behind us. I get not holding things up when you're already way over par but what exactly of the point of playing golf if you're not even going to attempt to putt properly (i.e. in what world is a 15 footer for birdie/par a gimme)?

And before I get roasted for playing slow, we're still able to putt properly and keep any round at 4 hours +/- 15 minutes.
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:22 AM   #2820
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgflamesfan View Post
Are you penalized for moving it out of the trap? We're currently playing with the following:

(i) if it's in the bunker (and not in a footprint) you play your ball as you would normally
(ii) if it's in a footprint you can move it (within the bunker) with no penalty
(iii) if you want to move it out of the bunker you can do so but are assessed a one stroke penalty

Also with respect to the previous comment about the group lining up every putt, I get that can be frustrating when they're looking at a double or triple bogey and still lining things up, however, we've been getting increasingly frustrated with people playing too quickly on the greens. Increasingly, we're seeing groups just hit one putt without lining anything up, call it good and pick up their balls (no matter how far out they were) and come and wait on the tee box behind us. I get not holding things up when you're already way over par but what exactly of the point of playing golf if you're not even going to attempt to putt properly (i.e. in what world is a 15 footer for birdie/par a gimme)?

And before I get roasted for playing slow, we're still able to putt properly and keep any round at 4 hours +/- 15 minutes.
People take way longer on the green than they should. Everyone should be lining up their putt right when they get there. Even if you have marked your ball you can still read it while out of the way. I can't stand the people who won't look to line up their shot until its 'their' turn to putt.

Also 4 hours 15 minutes is too long IMO. Anything over 4 hours and you are playing slow.

Your bunkers rules are how it should be played IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow