Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2023, 12:55 PM   #5061
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I had no idea that movie was even released... lol
Warner Disco saving money on advertising.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 01:27 PM   #5062
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I had no idea that movie was even released... lol
Your not the only one sadly, it's on track to make $30 mi opening weekend which is about half what the first one did.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:16 PM   #5063
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
A fair number of bad reviews from the critics, although it now seems like it's a trend for critics to leave bad reviews for anything superheroes related.

I really don’t find this surprising but I couldn’t stand the first one. A couple funny moments then if turned into the power rangers, which I also hated. If I was forced to pick between Shazam and Black Adam, while sober… I really don’t know. I watched Shazam twice just to see if it would grow on me, but it didn’t, and I’m sure not going to try a 3rd time. I can’t imagine watching Black Adam a 2nd time, so I guess that means Shazam wins?
Brendone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:31 AM   #5064
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I couldn't make it through the first Shazam as I was expecting a breezy fun movie and the first half hour was just depressing as hell and a real downer.

Probably skipping the second one as a result.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 01:24 PM   #5065
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Interestingly this movie rates actually higher than Antman 3 on RT (so far) in both categories, but is tanking at the box office.

I remember a time when this board held that site up as the golden standard for a movie being good or not, but have noticed since they started poo pooing on Marvel movies "who cares what the critics think".
Old 03-19-2023, 03:25 PM   #5066
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still check Rotten Tomatoes just to get a general sense of how critics are enjoying a movie just for curiosity. But honestly after loving Batman V Superman and seeing it at 27% I stopped really caring about it.

I think Shazam 2 is a victim of how poorly the trailers were and how poorly WB marketed the film & the fact they announced that the DCEU was rebooting. Audiences checked out of anything related to the DCEU, while other DC films like The Batman and Joker crush it at the box office. Will be interesting to see how The Flash performs because I keep hearing it's a great movie, but will audiences show up.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 03:34 PM   #5067
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Interestingly this movie rates actually higher than Antman 3 on RT (so far) in both categories, but is tanking at the box office.

I remember a time when this board held that site up as the golden standard for a movie being good or not, but have noticed since they started poo pooing on Marvel movies "who cares what the critics think".
I don’t think any of that is true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I still check Rotten Tomatoes just to get a general sense of how critics are enjoying a movie just for curiosity. But honestly after loving Batman V Superman and seeing it at 27% I stopped really caring about it.

I think Shazam 2 is a victim of how poorly the trailers were and how poorly WB marketed the film & the fact they announced that the DCEU was rebooting. Audiences checked out of anything related to the DCEU, while other DC films like The Batman and Joker crush it at the box office. Will be interesting to see how The Flash performs because I keep hearing it's a great movie, but will audiences show up.
Except RT isn’t how good a movie is, just how many people liked it. BvS absolutely should be at 27 because you are very clearly in the minority of people who thought it was good. You’re confusing RT with metacritic scores.

I don’t think anyone cares at all about the d ei being rebooted. I know I don’t. That’s not why no one went to see Shazam. They didn’t go for the same reason I didn’t go, it looks terrible and appears to have none of the charm of the first movie.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 04:21 PM   #5068
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That must have been a long, long time ago. RT has been pretty unreliable for quite some time, roundabout when the Star Wars movies were coming out and it seemed like certain critics were getting either paid, grifted or threatened to give glowing reviews.

I think Shazam is a victim of whatever the hell WBD is doing right now. They seem to have fallen to a thought-process where they think their movies are going to market themselves or something?

Like you said earlier, and I agreed with you, I didnt even know it was out. Now, that doesnt matter because I was never going to see it in theaters regardless, but I do think thats a prevailing sentiment.

People hardly even knew Shazam 2 was released yet. If it wasnt because of this thread I wouldnt even have noticed until it popped up on-demand.

Which is a shame because I really enjoyed the first one, I thought it was really good, possibly even one of DC's best offerings.

It does feel like WBD is letting their Corporate mess bleed into their product.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 10:55 PM   #5069
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

For some reason both my older kids have taken to the DC universe. They’ve been seeing ads for Shazam on YouTube and both asking to go so I took them today. It was decent - none of us had even seen the first one. Not a ton of laughs for what I think is supposed to be more a comedy hero but it was entertaining throughout. Both boys loved it, especially the dragon fight.

After all the trailers (including GOTG3) guess what they both want to see most? The Flash! Guess I’m a DCEU guy now…
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 11:13 PM   #5070
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Anyone else just tired of this genre altogether (superhero movies)?

Feels like something fresh and original is needed here, from any studio.

Just… not the same stuff. A 30 minute CGI huge battle fest just isn’t that interesting. Good stories always will be.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:16 AM   #5071
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Anyone else just tired of this genre altogether (superhero movies)?

Feels like something fresh and original is needed here, from any studio.

Just… not the same stuff. A 30 minute CGI huge battle fest just isn’t that interesting. Good stories always will be.
Yup. I'm so sick of the oversaturation.

They're all entirely forgettable for the most part.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 08:39 AM   #5072
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I kind of felt that way after End Game. I thought, ok.. I just don't see how you ever top that. Time to hang up the skates and call it quits.

Then Spider-Man 3 came out and I was blown away yet again. Then Dr. Strange 2 was very fun and unique with the Raimi touch on it.

That got my hopes up again, but they were quickly dashed by Thor 4 and then ground into dust by that atrocity BP2. Fool me once shame on you..
Old 03-20-2023, 10:27 AM   #5073
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The comedy/superhero genre was never really that appealing to me to begin with. I just never got that into the MCU stuff. Loved GotG, Iron Man, and a few others but for the most part I found them average at best. I never really got why people would go over the top to either praise or trash some movies. The vast majority were all on the same level.

I was always a bigger fan of Superhero stuff that was either more on the hard sci-fi edge or more story driven. I really liked "The Batman". I also preferred some of the oddball stuff to the play it safe stuff. For example, I though Kick Ass (the 1st one), Scott Pilgrim, Dredd, Unbreakable/Split, Brightburn, etc... were always more entertaining and stuck with me longer than the play it by numbers mainstream superhero flicks.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:42 PM   #5074
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hope they make those sequels to Brightburn. There's a lot to explore there.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 02:34 PM   #5075
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I don't think I'll ever tire of the genre just like I don't tire of other genres.. Romance, comedy, sci-fi, drama, action, fantasy, comedy... But like every other genre it can go through a phase of saturation which makes me be a lot more selective..

Or rather the novelty of the genre is wearing off so I'm as picky about those movies now as I am with other genres.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 04:08 PM   #5076
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've definitely become less interested in the last couple years, haven't even seen Black Panther 2 or Ant-Man 3 yet. But now my boys are starting to get older and interested in live action movies (the two I mentioned are 6 and 8) so they have totally missed the whole Infinity Saga and Snyder-verse and whatever else has been going on. So it's all new / fun to them which kind of gets me back into it a little bit.

It would be a good thing for Marvel / DC to bank on, that all of us Millenials who were 19/ 20-something when Iron Man 1 came out and obsessed with the whole saga are now starting to have kids and/or have kids getting old enough to be interested in these movies as well that aren't already burnt out on them. It's a good time for DC to be trying some new things.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:00 PM   #5077
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I enjoy superhero movies but the sheer quantity the past few years is overwhelming, particularly when they try to have connections where you're expected to watch them all or something in the next one won't make sense.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:26 AM   #5078
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys all should have stopped at Dr. Strange where it was just blatant rip of off Batman Begins.

There was some guy on here saying that there were fans who cheer during the theme songs and credits for Marvel movies.... bonkers man! hahahah

CG crapfest is no good.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:44 AM   #5079
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

DC expanding with this new "DCU" is just overkill.

Branch out when you've earned a branching out.

Their batting rate is atrocious as is.

No one is too excited for more multiverse superhero stuff outside of the multi generational batman stuff

Their video game-y quality and poor scripts aren't worth shelling money out to see with how close to a guarantee it is that the final product will be subpar.

They need to trim the branches and just put love and care into the very few projects that have something going for them.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 01:01 AM   #5080
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
DC expanding with this new "DCU" is just overkill.

Branch out when you've earned a branching out.

Their batting rate is atrocious as is.

No one is too excited for more multiverse superhero stuff outside of the multi generational batman stuff

Their video game-y quality and poor scripts aren't worth shelling money out to see with how close to a guarantee it is that the final product will be subpar.

They need to trim the branches and just put love and care into the very few projects that have something going for them.
Need more one liners and corny jokes for 12 year olds like the MCU...