Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 08:41 AM   #2441
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
That Foot Soldiers' Tetris Shuffle was awesome, just sayin'
It's a lot harder to coordinate than it looks!

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #2442
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a reminder for season ticket holders that the window to purchase tickets to the final is now open!
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 02:21 PM   #2443
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

A couple tidbits from yesterday.

- The club has stopped playing "I Wanna be in the Cavalry," and I am rather disappointed. I like that song, and I think it works well as an unofficial anthem.

- The seats in the north end (red chairs) were reversed in order from past games. (#1 in a row ended up on the opposite end of a section from before). I wonder if that was a mistake, or if it was intentional for some reason.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:58 PM   #2444
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

One tidbit I meant to mention was prior to kickoff. A couple Pacific fans hung their flags from the railing (which I thought should have been in the away section anyway). A beside me got up and just unhooked them from the railing. One fell right down and the other was close, until a Pacific fan ran up and grabbed it.

Regardless, it was hilarious. I was surprised that the stewards didn't put a stop to that sooner though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 05:12 PM   #2445
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Just bought my Finals ticket! Pricing is similar to Canadian Championship games! I am surprised- I thought they would be more expensive.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:14 PM   #2446
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just picked up my ticket to the CPL Championship. Total costs: $15.85. An absolute steal. I will likely drink 4-5 that amount in beer that day.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:14 PM   #2447
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

How can us non-season ticket holders get tickets right now? C'mon, help a future fellow season ticket holder out!
Old 09-23-2019, 07:04 PM   #2448
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How can us non-season ticket holders get tickets right now? C'mon, help a future fellow season ticket holder out!
Still trying to figure that out! I assume they'll go on sale to the public soon.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #2449
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good article on Saskatoon's approach to launching a CPL club in 2021. Looks like they're going to do a bunch of friendlies next year while ramping up the infrastructure needed t get a pro team in place.

https://www.northernstartingeleven.c...-saskatchewan/

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #2450
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
General sales Sept. 27 10am.
With previous ticket purchase presale offer Sept. 26.

https://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/game-day-tickets
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #2451
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

The suspense of not knowing the actual date is difficult for my brain to process. But because I'll be watching the away leg regardless, I should just be patient because it could come down to the wire.

It was mentioned previously, but the Tiger Cats have a home game on November 2nd at 7pm Eastern. Should Forge earn the choice (let's hope not so this becomes moot) and opt for being at home that day, then a few scenarios exist:

1. Forge plays early in the afternoon and the football lines get added in time for CFL.
2. Forge plays on football lines.
3. The CFL moves their November 2nd game to Sunday the 3rd.
4. Forge moves their game to Sunday the 3rd (but the league seems pretty confident in November 2nd being the day).
5. Forge "choose" to play their home leg first.

Option 1 could be ideal, but I'm not sure if that's even possible. Option 2 would be an embarrassment to the league. Options 3 and 4 would be tricky, particularly at fairly short notice. Option 5 would benefit Cavalry and us as supporters, so I'm not sure if Forge would even entertain this.

Like I said - it will hopefully be moot and Cavalry will have the choice (and naturally choose to play the second leg at home), but I do wonder what scenarios the league and Forge have privately ruled out already.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #2452
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1176288005293858816
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #2453
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ That's why I wonder. The CFL is heavily dependent on TV, so it would really be up to TSN. And why would TSN even entertain the idea of moving it? And CanPL obviously thinks that they'll get more eyeballs on the game if they play it on a Saturday.

That being said, Bob Young has his fingers deep into both the CFL and CanPL pies, so if anyone could do it, it would be him.

Anyway - just some speculation to tide us over until we know for sure. My brain thinks of logistics continuously, whether I want it to or not!
Old 09-24-2019, 12:36 PM   #2454
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
The suspense of not knowing the actual date is difficult for my brain to process. But because I'll be watching the away leg regardless, I should just be patient because it could come down to the wire.

It was mentioned previously, but the Tiger Cats have a home game on November 2nd at 7pm Eastern. Should Forge earn the choice (let's hope not so this becomes moot) and opt for being at home that day, then a few scenarios exist:

1. Forge plays early in the afternoon and the football lines get added in time for CFL.
2. Forge plays on football lines.
3. The CFL moves their November 2nd game to Sunday the 3rd.
4. Forge moves their game to Sunday the 3rd (but the league seems pretty confident in November 2nd being the day).
5. Forge "choose" to play their home leg first.

Option 1 could be ideal, but I'm not sure if that's even possible. Option 2 would be an embarrassment to the league. Options 3 and 4 would be tricky, particularly at fairly short notice. Option 5 would benefit Cavalry and us as supporters, so I'm not sure if Forge would even entertain this.

Like I said - it will hopefully be moot and Cavalry will have the choice (and naturally choose to play the second leg at home), but I do wonder what scenarios the league and Forge have privately ruled out already.
Options 1 and 3 simply are not going to happen. The CPL is worth a fraction of the CFL, and there is no way they negatively impact the Tiger Cats game.

Option 4 is not going to happen either, since the CPL has already announced November 2 as a game date. Since they already knew that it was almost certainly going to be Calgary-Hamilton for the championship, they made this announcement with full knowledge of this possibility.

And the above point dovetails into why it will be option 5: They already know Hamilton will host the first leg. Additionally, it could very well be a moot point. We're tied with them on points, and +6 on goal differential. There's an excellent chance Forge doesn't get the choice. Though it would be kind of funny if we won the fall title too, then opted to host the first game, just to F with Bob Young.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #2455
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ You didn't mention my worst fear: playing it anyway football lines. Nobody would want that though, right? It would be soooo bush, especially for a championship final.

Personally, I think that you're right about it already having been decided that the first leg will be in Hamilton, even if Forge is effectively forced into the choice. If they even earn the right to choose.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #2456
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah, I kind of ignored that one. I don't see it happening either. The CPL kind of screwed itself by making the whole "fall winner gets to choose" thing a carrot after the spring season had concluded without Hamilton winning the title. The clearly were aiming to give Forge an advantage, and it blew up in their faces a little.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #2457
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
^ You didn't mention my worst fear: playing it anyway football lines. Nobody would want that though, right? It would be soooo bush, especially for a championship final.

Personally, I think that you're right about it already having been decided that the first leg will be in Hamilton, even if Forge is effectively forced into the choice. If they even earn the right to choose.
The fact that two teams play in cavernously empty stadiums is bad enough. I would take a pop up stadium like Clarke over an over sized CFL stadium any day of the week.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #2458
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yep, and with Winnipeg's attendance flatlining, it's starting to look a lot like the old Calgary Mustangs/Storm in McMahon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #2459
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
The fact that two teams play in cavernously empty stadiums is bad enough. I would take a pop up stadium like Clarke over an over sized CFL stadium any day of the week.
I agree with this, but I don't think Clarke is the best example to juxtapose the massive CFL stadiums.

With Clarke Field, you're getting the drawbacks of a pop up stadium such as shady stands that feel like they're going to fall over and port-a-potties, along with the drawbacks of a modern CFL stadium such as lack of intimacy and atmosphere, since it's largely empty most games.

Spruce Meadows, Westhills or the Wanderers Grounds on the other hand are pretty good for CPL.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 08:15 PM   #2460
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I agree with this, but I don't think Clarke is the best example to juxtapose the massive CFL stadiums.

With Clarke Field, you're getting the drawbacks of a pop up stadium such as shady stands that feel like they're going to fall over and port-a-potties, along with the drawbacks of a modern CFL stadium such as lack of intimacy and atmosphere, since it's largely empty most games.

Spruce Meadows, Westhills or the Wanderers Grounds on the other hand are pretty good for CPL.
Wanderers Grounds does indeed have a great atmosphere, but it is still shady stands that look like they might fall down in a storm (although they fared well in the hurricane that recently battered Nova Scotia) & port-a-potties...
The Following User Says Thank You to Howie_16 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge