Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2022, 08:59 AM   #181
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like dogs, but I don't own one. The grossness being the single biggest reason, but the work that is involved is close second.

One of my favorite things is a perfectly trained dog completely loyal to its master. The master just walks around doing their thing and the dog keeps up. No commands, no hassle. The dog just knows what to do.

The problem is the level of commitment required to get to that point is too much for me. And even if you got to that point, you simply can't get around the grossness part any way you slice it.

Therefore I just let me friends have dogs and I enjoy them in small doses.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 09:03 AM   #182
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
No he doesn't. You're misinterpreting his posting style as personal when it isn't.

He's one of my top five favourites on this board and I like to think we're kind of forum bros; however, that doesn't stop him from calling me out in the way you're describing if my perspective is off base/wrong/in need of reflection.

The way he calls somebody out is by astutely extracting the core of somebody's meaning from the extraneous fluff/misleads in their argument. He boils it down to a simple point, but he does it with a bit of humour that can border on snarky, but that's a perfectly reasonable style of humour. Then he turns the mirror on you and if you don't like what you see, perhaps it's not him and perhaps it's you. Is he infallible? Of course not. He can disagree with you and be wrong, but he's definitely earned - and deserves - the respect of your consideration of his perspective if he's taken the time and interest to work with you on seeing things from a different point of view.

It's a shame you have him on ignore. You're missing an opportunity to enjoy and benefit from a unique poster with a perspective most of us need.
Yeah I think it's exactly as you said, "You're misinterpreting his posting style as personal when it isn't."

I've had a lot of disagreements with him, he's certainly left snide remarks on my posts and I've absolutely done it back at times. We've also had several very good discussions on things as well.

That Sliver guy on the other hand
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 09:03 AM   #183
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Haha, whatever... pretty sure I can make my own assessments of patterns of interaction with somebody without relying on your relationship with them as 'forum bros'
Oh sorry. You just did a really bad job on that one so I thought maybe it was a pattern. All good if it was just a one off.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:12 AM   #184
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post

That Sliver guy on the other hand
Bit of a Silly Bunt if you ask me.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 09:24 AM   #185
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I do get annoyed that some people have this attitude where if you don't enjoy being around their dog, there's something wrong with you. Not everyone's a dog lover. I'm firmly in that camp. I get that they can be loyal creatures, and see why some people love them, but I have like zero interest in them.
I fully get this opinion, I am an animal lover, we have dogs, have fostered dogs and everyone in my immediate family (40+ year old sister, brother, parents, etc) all have their own dog. Anyway, I am not a fan of the pet owners who push their pets onto others, like everyone should love them. That isn't okay.

I can see it is very obvious when people are near a dog and they do not like dogs, we do our best to avoid and walk away, because our dog can sense their feelings as well, and we don't need negative energy around them.

Also, those festivals that are public and dogs are welcome, but there are loads of people and things like fireworks, most people are right in this thread, dogs hate that. Dogs want peace and relaxed environments and that isn't what is happening at these events.

I think some of you are over the top with how gross dogs are, you can get groomers to clean the anal glands so they don't smell and you should wash your dog based on how dirty it gets. We have multiple dogs with different grooming needs, one that is a non-shedder but needs to bathed more often as everything sticks to him, our other dog who doesn't need professional groomer (hair cuts), doesn't need to be bathed as often as she swims in fresh water more often and brushed every other day.

Bathing dogs often doesn't help them, it actually makes it worse for them. Brushing them daily will really help get the dirt out of their fur.

I 100% agree that having a dog lick our faces is gross, they lick their nether regions all the time, I don't need that on my face.

Some dog owners aren't bad dog owners, you just don't notice those ones as much as you notice the bad ones.

Same goes for humans, I'd rather spend my time with a bunch of good dog owners and their dogs, then a bunch of stupid humans.

Last edited by foshizzle11; 07-04-2022 at 09:31 AM.
foshizzle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foshizzle11 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 09:26 AM   #186
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
No. This attitude is the problem. We're not deficient because we don't like dogs. It's perfectly reasonable to not like dogs. Unfortunately, too many dog owners impose their interest in dogs onto people.
ya, you are not wrong here Sliver, that isn't okay and people need to stop.

If you have an opinion about something someone else is interested in or not interested in, maybe keep it to yourself.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:40 AM   #187
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

What percentage of folks who have dogs can be considered, "good dog owners?"

60%?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:45 AM   #188
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
What percentage of folks who have dogs can be considered, "good dog owners?"

60%?
Not even close.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 09:46 AM   #189
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
No he doesn't. You're misinterpreting his posting style as personal when it isn't.
It's admittedly pretty funny that the posters who think they're getting special treatment are the types I usually find least memorable. I could not even tell you what disagreement Johnny is talking about without looking through my posting history.

So many great posters here (including my forum bro) that are genuinely fun to interact with (even those who hate my style) that I can't imagine wasting my time following around boring ones. I'll probably remember him now though, since I always find the public "I've discovered the IGNORE feature!" song and dance exceedingly cringeworthy.

But anyways, back on the topic, I'll just re-iterate how insane it is given we're in a thread where there's been mention of liking dogs better than people, French kissing a dog, dogs being members of society, babies being as bad as dogs, and marrying a dog, that people are trying to paint people who don't like dogs as the anti-social ones. "I feel more connected and comfortable with dogs than people and that makes all of you anti-social" is a perfectly wild thing to say that should be laughed at.

Sure there are anti-social people who don't like dogs, but if we're picking a starting point for anti-social behavior, I'm going with "has more difficulty being social with human beings than animals of lesser intelligence that can't speak."

Alternatively, we could just save the discount psychoanalysis and talk about the gross weirdness vs. overwhelming joy of dog ownership.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 07-04-2022 at 09:48 AM.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 09:51 AM   #190
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Old 07-04-2022, 10:12 AM   #191
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Anybody who suggests to a large group of people that they should use a weapon like a sling shot to hurl ice at a dog might need to seek professional help. Imagine wanting to inflict that kind of pain and abuse on a living creature because you don't like the sound it's making.
Yeah, I don't think I'm better than non dog people, that's weird... but I sure as hell am better than some dude fantasizing about animal abuse. And then trying to justify it, I mean I realize it's all a parody thread, but kind of sick and twisted.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:17 AM   #192
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I like dogs, but I don't own one. The grossness being the single biggest reason, but the work that is involved is close second.

One of my favorite things is a perfectly trained dog completely loyal to its master. The master just walks around doing their thing and the dog keeps up. No commands, no hassle. The dog just knows what to do.

The problem is the level of commitment required to get to that point is too much for me. And even if you got to that point, you simply can't get around the grossness part any way you slice it.

This is how I feel too. I have a friend who had the most well trained dog I've ever seen, and she was a blast to be around. She was always clean, and just sat beside you letting you pet her. She didn't go all bananas at the sight of people, and just overall was the most well behaved and chilled dog I've ever seen. My friend said she spent a lot of money on obedience school, plus her dog also had the temperament to be able to be trained so effectively.

But like you said, the time commitment, money, and patience required is way more than what I'd be willing to put into, so like you, I only enjoy other people's dogs. I would never own one myself.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:27 AM   #193
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is a growing number of animals looking to find new homes in Toronto as owners who bought pandemic pets at the height of COVID-19 return to work — or struggle with the rising cost of looking after them, city officials warn.

According to Toronto Animal Services, a city-run agency, there has been a 63 per cent increase in the number of pets landing in shelters this year compared to the same period in 2021.

"We're getting a ton of calls of people calling in, needing to surrender their animals. It's all day, every day since our phone lines opened," said animal health technician Anneke Miedima.
Quote:
The increase is due to the change in lifestyle for pet owners following the lifting of pandemic measures, along with the rising cost of living, says Esther Attard, the director of Toronto Animal Services.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...507394?cmp=rss

A truly shocking turn of events that no one could have predicted. Now there are loads of unwanted poorly trained neglected animals...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 10:30 AM   #194
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...507394?cmp=rss

A truly shocking turn of events that no one could have predicted. Now there are loads of unwanted poorly trained neglected animals...
During the height of the pandemic when all we could really do was go on family walks, the dog shirt all over sidewalks and pathways was disgusting. Plus, my two-year-old at the time couldn't tell the difference between a bomb and a pinecone.

Just lovely.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 10:36 AM   #195
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you think dogs are gross, wait until you look at humans.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 10:53 AM   #196
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Yes. You summed it up nicely. I have more or less the same position on it. Dogs are fine, the commitment and gross factors are a lot to take on though.

Smaller doses are easier to take with any kind of pet. Even my cat who has the best cat personality you could imagine can wear me out between being needy and the hair and saliva.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:56 AM   #197
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
If you think dogs are gross, wait until you look at humans.
Humans who shower every day? Wash their clothes? Wash their sheets? Don't eat their feces off the ground? Relieve themselves into toilets and then bidet their backsides? Brush their teeth? Don't shove their noses into each other's buttholes as a standard greeting? Don't walk around drooling onto furniture and the floor? Don't walk in dirt, urine and feces in their bare feet and then walk into a house? Don't barf wherever they happen to be sitting regardless of whether or not it's on carpet/furniture/etc.? Don't eat said barf off the ground?

Not sure who you hang around with, but the humans I spend time with aren't nearly as nasty as dogs.

Almost forget, humans also don't release anus smells from their butthole glands and then walk around fanning it for others to inhale. Next time you see a dog wagging its tail, run the fata away from it unless you want those ####### germs flying into your respiratory system.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:58 AM   #198
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I was sitting in a condo lobby yesterday, and an off leash dog came up to me for pets and licked my knee.

As a large dog owner myself I was personally fine with it but I 100% agree that is terrible dog ownership and it shouldn't be assumed everyone else wants to meet your dog, or isn't afraid of dogs, allergic etc.
Elevators are a terrible place for this too, some dog owners just let their dog go up to everyone.

We are very careful to keep our dog back from people unless they ask to come pet her.
She's for our enjoyment, not to put onto others.

At the end of the day a certain % of people are morons, so a certain % of dog owners are morons
This person gets it.

Amazing. If only all dog owners had this level of awareness.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:58 AM   #199
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Humans who shower every day? Wash their clothes? Wash their sheets? Don't eat their feces off the ground? Relieve themselves into toilets and then bidet their backsides? Brush their teeth? Don't shove their noses into each other's buttholes as a standard greeting? Don't walk around drooling onto furniture and the floor? Don't walk in dirt, urine and feces in their bare feet and then walk into a house? Don't barf wherever they happen to be sitting regardless of whether or not it's on carpet/furniture/etc.? Don't eat said barf off the ground?

Not sure who you hang around with, but the humans I spend time with aren't nearly as nasty as dogs.

Almost forget, humans also don't release anus smells from their butthole glands and then walk around fanning it for others to inhale. Next time you see a dog wagging its tail, run the fata away from it unless you want those ####### germs flying into your respiratory system.
I don't know, based on what I've seen on reddit that's EXACTLY what young kids on dating apps are doing these days

Your point stands though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 10:59 AM   #200
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

hmm Maybe your should get a dog or 2 so their anus odors can combat the human feces odor coming from Lake Bonivista...