Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-26-2019, 03:57 PM   #241
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

LeBrun notebook https://theathletic.com/1048597/2019...the-blue-line/

Ben Hutton has received interest from Montreal and possibly Toronto

Nyquist linked to Edmonton and Detroit, San Jose hasn't closed the door on bringing him back

Several teams, including Edmonton, interested in Connolly

Edmonton, Colorado, and Buffalo all interested in Joonas Donskoi, but close to half the league has inquired

Allen staying in St Louis

Anton Stralman has six teams on his radar, LeBrun notes interest from Florida

Brian Boyle likely not to return to Nashville or New Jersey, has interest from a couple of teams

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:57 PM   #242
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hope Hath gets a nice payday. He's been a good soldier for the organization but is absolutely the type of player you walk away from once they hit UFA.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 04:06 PM   #243
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lebrun tweeted that teams have reached out to Kyle Connor on day 1 of the RFA talking period.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:09 PM   #244
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Marner signs an offer sheet with the Isles.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 04:15 PM   #245
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Lebrun tweeted that teams have reached out to Kyle Connor on day 1 of the RFA talking period.
Connor is a guy that has kind of flown under the radar in all the offe sheet speculation, but he's a fantastic player.
Winnipeg has $23 million in cap space though, and Connor and Laine are the two big signings on the to-do list (unless they're considering trying to bring Myers back), so it seems like they'll probably be able to match unless it's a crazy offer.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #246
CrazyCaper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Connor is a guy that has kind of flown under the radar in all the offe sheet speculation, but he's a fantastic player.
Winnipeg has $23 million in cap space though, and Connor and Laine are the two big signings on the to-do list (unless they're considering trying to bring Myers back), so it seems like they'll probably be able to match unless it's a crazy offer.
The problem Winnipeg has though is that they're not a cap team. Never have been. If another team makes an offer to Connor north of 8.5mil/yr, I could see them taking the picks instead of matching.
CrazyCaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:34 PM   #247
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I love Hath, and think he's taken some huge strides offensively the last 2 seasons (in the AHL then in the NHL), but he's someone the Flames should have a hard max salary for, and he'll probably get a better offer elsewhere.

His NHL career isn't likely to last too long, so he should absolutely chase the money while he can.
I agree his cap should be $1.5m, it's dangerous to pay more than that for a 4th line player, especially one that can't really elevate up the lineup if needed. He is a 4th liner and that's about all he is, a very good one mind you.

I wonder how much Ryan Carpenter would cost, he has a very similar skill set.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:48 PM   #248
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
I agree his cap should be $1.5m, it's dangerous to pay more than that for a 4th line player, especially one that can't really elevate up the lineup if needed. He is a 4th liner and that's about all he is, a very good one mind you.

I wonder how much Ryan Carpenter would cost, he has a very similar skill set.
Ryan Carpenter is a UFA this season. Scored just five goals but threw 126 hits while putting up a 3.9 CF% relative and a Game Score/60 of 2.06, which would rank 11th on the Flames (Hathaway put up a 1.78).

I don't think he'd cost much more than a million bucks. Could be an interesting add.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:57 PM   #249
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
LeBrun notebook https://theathletic.com/1048597/2019...the-blue-line/

Ben Hutton has received interest from Montreal and possibly Toronto

Nyquist linked to Edmonton and Detroit, San Jose hasn't closed the door on bringing him back

Several teams, including Edmonton, interested in Connolly

Edmonton, Colorado, and Buffalo all interested in Joonas Donskoi, but close to half the league has inquired

Allen staying in St Louis

Anton Stralman has six teams on his radar, LeBrun notes interest from Florida

Brian Boyle likely not to return to Nashville or New Jersey, has interest from a couple of teams
Oilers interested in everybody, can afford nobody lol.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 04:58 PM   #250
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I will miss Hathaway if he goes elsewhere. It’s too bad we didn’t get any salary cleared at the draft - we may have been able to avoid losing him. I think this team will miss his “jam” if he goes. Fingers crossed...
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:59 PM   #251
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
Goaltending market remains fluid. #Oilers have connected with Mike Smith during interview period. Petr Mrazek still believed to be an option in EDM, as Smith would also be to replace Mrazek in Carolina.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:59 PM   #252
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Oilers are hoping FAs will take a discount to play with McDavid
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:00 PM   #253
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Staples wrote an article today on the Oilers just needing a couple small pieces. A top 6 winger and a backup goalie. He posted the depth chart down to 9 or 10 of every position to make it look impressive. It is amazing that McDavid and this steaming pile of garbage is a cap team. I expect the trade request rumblings to start around the deadline this year.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:02 PM   #254
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1144017531700731905

Old 06-26-2019, 05:14 PM   #255
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Staples wrote an article today on the Oilers just needing a couple small pieces. A top 6 winger and a backup goalie. He posted the depth chart down to 9 or 10 of every position to make it look impressive. It is amazing that McDavid and this steaming pile of garbage is a cap team. I expect the trade request rumblings to start around the deadline this year.
Staples has Joakim Nygard pencilled in as the Oilers second line left winger. I have never even heard of this player before, but upon inspection of his hockeydb page it says that he is 26-years-old, and has played six years in the second-tier SweHL. Nygard finished second in the League last year in goals just ahead of Oscar Moller. Derek Roy was second in League scoring; Nygard did not make the top-ten.

Staples also has someone named Gaetan Haas pencilled in as the Oilers #3 centre. This guy is also 26-years-old, and has told the past decade in the Swiss-A League. Last year he was second in scoring on his team in Bern, behind famous former NHLer Mark Arcobello. He also did not rank among the top-ten scorers in the Swiss-A League.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 06-26-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 05:16 PM   #256
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Staples has Joakim Nygard pencilled in as the Oilers second line left winger. I have never even heard of this player before, but upon inspection of his hockeydb page it says that he is 26-years-old, and has played six years in the second-tier SweHL. Nygard finished second in the League last year in goals just ahead of Oscar Moller. Derek Roy was second in League scoring; Nygard did not make the top-ten.
He's the speedy Carl Hagelin type player the Flames were heavily chasing, and were runners up for when he chose Edmonton.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 05:19 PM   #257
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It really is too bad Pavelski has no desire to play here.

With rumors he's open to a discount for the chance to win. He would be a great short term option to shore up the centre depth.

Monahan/Pavelski/Backlund would be pretty nice.

Tampa makes sense as a chance to win. But on that criteria alone, if Dallas is in the mix, surely Calgary is. But I bet he has no desire to play here.

Dump Brodie and Frolik. Sign Tkachuk to 6 x 7.5.

Sign Pavelski to 3 x 4.85

Profit.

For the record, I couldn't be bothered to look up if those numbers even work.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:20 PM   #258
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Nygard will fit right in up there. Fans will turn on him so fast his head is going to spin.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:28 PM   #259
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Oilers are hoping to get 15 to 20 goals out of the guy.

David Staples

"Nygard sounds promising and is a good fit here. He immediately slots in on the Oilers second line, with a centre like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins or Leon Draisaitl. He has a chance to do something with the opportunity handed to Tobias Rieder, Ryan Spooner, Drake Caggiula, Jesse Puljujarvi, Kailer Yamamoto and others last season. It won’t be difficult to accomplish more than they did, but the Oilers will be hoping for much more, not 0 to ten goals but 15 to 20."
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:30 PM   #260
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Staples is as big of a moron as Spector.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote