Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-18-2017, 07:48 PM   #41
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
This is the same Gaudreau who put up 9 Pts in 11 games his first go around... he has 2 through 3 this year which matches his first playoff pace. He had a step back year apparently but was on pace for his same totals from two years ago where he was a Calder finalist. Can't wait to see when Marner struggles for the first time just how leafs nation and their irrational media handle it; it will be hilarious no doubt. I love when fans of other teams come into this forum all high and mighty when their respective teams finally have something to gloat about cough Oilers cough Leafs. Pretty much every leafs fan rooted themselves out of it and are now saying they are 'shocking' the hockey world... it's Washington, this has happened before and getting down to it we lost all 3 1 goal games, could have easily gone the other way just like T.O. Being up 2-1 could easily have been a 3-0 deficit or lead for them. Perspective is something that is increasingly lacking in the sport from the fan and media bases sometimes, Calgary has played good - has in fact dominated at points of this series but when you look at the goals that lead to the demise.. it's just been u fortunate luck at the worst times.

Gaudreau is going no where and has proven to be a major piece to Calgarys already young but impressive core, to trade him would be to take a step back and there is no point to that.

I'm not counting us out yet, right now I know how the Kings felt before storming back against the sharks.

Boom goes the duckomite.
I am a Flames fan, always have been. Grew up in Calgary.

Sure Marner's good too. At no point have I made any mention of Toronto, I'm not trolling.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 07:51 PM   #42
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Misread on my part bro, noted for sure. Must be all the T.O fans at work and how unbearable they've been this first round lol. Still though, I think Johnny is going no where and the thought of dealing him is absurd. He's a special player, the future of this team has him being a big part of it no doubt!
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #43
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Allow them to embrace a rebuild. He's the reason they don't have McEichel and a Matthews or Laine right now.
You would have to offer more than 17th overall pick. That's not close to enough to make it worth their while.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:18 PM   #44
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes, but as stated the Devils will not go for this deal. Sweeten the deal and make it happen.

Struggling team, so nobody is untouchable for the right deal.
iamca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #45
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I would trade every pick in the up coming draft for Schnieder..... still don't think Jersey does it.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:59 PM   #46
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
I would trade every pick in the up coming draft for Schnieder..... still don't think Jersey does it.
You people realize Schneider is older than Bishop right? Sorry but I would sign Bishop before giving up a king's ransom for a goaltender that's a year older and not considerably better.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:02 PM   #47
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You people realize Schneider is older than Bishop right? Sorry but I would sign Bishop before giving up a king's ransom for a goaltender that's a year older and not considerably better.
Agreed.

It looks like a buyers market. We should attempt to keep our assets and sign someone in the off-season.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 PM   #48
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Agreed.

It looks like a buyers market. We should attempt to keep our assets and sign someone in the off-season.

This. Gone seem to be the days when goalies were very difficult to find and top teams (Wings with Osbad, Blues with no one, Flyers and Snow etc) struggled to find consistent goalies. They're much closer grouped now.

Bishop is good enough to win a Cup with.
2macinnis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:08 PM   #49
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd do it. Difference is that I think Schneider is considerably better than Bishop
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:10 PM   #50
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm not a huge fan of Bishop. Hasn't convinced me he's a quality starter in a couple seasons. I've seen more from Schneider. He had a down year, but who wouldn't let off a bit or get discouraged when their team is as incapable of scoring goals as NJ?

There will be a lot of options with the expansion situation. The way MAF is playing at the most important time behind a weakened Pens defence, he's pretty enticing.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:11 PM   #51
tko
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
I'd do it. Difference is that I think Schneider is considerably better than Bishop
agreed
tko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:50 PM   #52
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, big no.

1. We're not drafting 17th. We're drafting 31st.

2. No need to sink huge assets into Schneider when the market will be flush with opportunities. I love Schneider, but landing Bishop as a free agent is a much smarter play.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:56 PM   #53
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd do it for sure. I think Jersey should trade him, he's hurting their tanking.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:58 PM   #54
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
I would trade Jonny for hall without much hesitation.

First of all, if Jonny isn't creating scoring chances, he's not doing anything. He literally brings one thing to the table & that's it. Offence. He's not going to win puck battles, he's not good on the wall, he can't hit, can't fight, can't take face offs. He's the Phil housley of our era.

Hall is a much more complete player and only one year older. Both players would probably welcome a trade closer to home anyway. Plus a motivated Taylor hall going against the Oilers 4-5 times a year would be amazing.

It's not like I don't like Jonny, it's because at some point I think it's highly likely he ends up back is the NE states. Might as well get on with it.
Hall, a complete player? Wait, are we talking about the same Hall?
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:26 PM   #55
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

On our team today, Hall would probably be an upgrade. He's a traditional bread and butter first line winger.

But that's because we are misusing Gaudreau. He should be on the second line. When we can get a first line that draws attention away from Gaudreau. Gaudreau will be more effective than Hall ever could be.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:27 PM   #56
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
It may be very well worth it. But the caveat is that we don't have another pick until the 3rd round (and that's if we don't decide to bring Elliott back). Traded the 2nd for Lazar already and the 3rd was conditional on Elliott.

Also, as a GM you have to seize the unique opportunity that the expansion draft and protection lists are giving you this year, which may make prices on the younger goalies like Korpisalo, Grubauer, Pickard drop dramatically.

Bishop is a proven #1 with a playoff pedigree (but remember so did Elliott last year), but also gets injured way too damn much to warrant the kind of term and salary from the Flames that he'd command as a UFA.
Prior to this year, Bishop had three straight years of starting 60+ games with very solid stats. His playoff stats are outstanding: 21-13 with a 2.09 GAA and a .927 save percentage. Elliott does not have good playoff pedigree. He had one good run last year out of a career of underperforming in the playoffs to the point he has lost the starter's job on several occasions.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #57
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we'd probably need to first trade for one of the younger or 1B goalies available, and package him plus #17 for Schneider. Someone younger might fit for NJ, get their tank on now, add a first, get someone who will peak when they finish rebuilding.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #58
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Devils are in a tough spot. They have a couple good young players, but a very average prospect pool.

Do you trade Schneider so you can get some picks/prospects and fully embrace the tank for the next 2-3 years? Or do you keep him and give your young players more goaltending stability, but likely keeping your team from getting top 3 picks?

Since they've had Schneider, the Devils have ended up 20th, 25th, 20th and 27th. They're stuck in purgatory.
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:29 AM   #59
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes. That won't happen but yes I would make that trade.

I would actually prefer picking up Fleury if he is as cheap as it seems he will be. Fills the gap with a solid goalie until hopefully Gillies/Parson/Whoever can be the goalie we need.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:47 AM   #60
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Schneider is not getting traded for that kind of a return. Nor should the Flames pay the much higher price the Devils would demand. Likely a good young forward with upside (e.g. Bennett) and potentially more - they have him signed up at a great rate and no pressure to deal.

Don't get me wrong, he is an elite goaltender, but the market will be saturated with guys in the couple of tiers below him due to expansion, making them better options. This team is not at the level yet IMO to dump all the picks to push "all-in"
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote