Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2019, 12:56 AM   #81
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't look good in any colour.

I thought I should expand on my comments of promoting a western stereotype. Yes I know the Calgary area does have a history of ranching and the Stampede, despite the not so authentic beginnings, is a big part of the city. It just seems really lazy and almost cliché to me to resort to a western theme when there is so much else going on in a vibrant modern city.

I like the team name Flames because it has a modern feel of industry and speed. I also loved that recent shoulder patch because it reminded me of my favourite parts of Calgary, the brilliant local geography and sun sets.

At least we can say that Blasty isn't the worst attempt to produce a logo combining a team nickname with a western theme:

Spoiler!
Old 08-23-2019, 02:26 AM   #82
stamps
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It started in 1912 as a marketing gimic to celebrate cowboy culture and a fading way of life by a guy from New York

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/calgaryh...on-earth-2/amp

It’s always been faux nostalgia for a time passed by that never existed. That was the whole concept. It was offered to Winnipeg. It’s based off of wedicks experience with Buffalo Bills Wild West show.
https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia....icle/john-ware
stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:04 AM   #83
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
At least we can say that Blasty isn't the worst attempt to produce a logo combining a team nickname with a western theme:

Spoiler!
Ah yes, the old Texas Uterus.

I can still vividly remember seeing this in Jersey City. One of the worst jerseys ever made.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 07:38 AM   #84
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

The '04 reds were the best jerseys this team has ever worn and they featured, although less prominently, "Blasty's" face on them, so he's okay by my books.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't get the overwhelming love for the "retros". They were okay. Nothing more. But to each their own.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #85
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Winnipeg, Saskatchewan and even Edmonton have the same agricultural and ranching heritage yet don’t slap a cowboy hat and a horse on everything.
But they all wish they could... and that's the point. How many times has Edmonton tried to reproduce their own annual fair that is as big and successful as the Calgary Stampede (Klondike Days and various other names) with little to no success. You have to understand Calgary and understand the history between Calgary and Edmonton and the starting of this province to truly understand the animosity between the two cities. The big four had many reasons to start "the Calgary Stampede" and I'm certain that the rivalry between the two cities was one of the primary reasons. Buffalo, the province, was recently passed over in the early 1900s for two provinces instead in 1905 with the birth of Alberta and Saskatchewan. Before this however, both cities were given the choice, to host the University of the new province (U of A) now (with construction beginning immediately) or become the capital of Alberta (or Buffalo) later when Alberta became a province - Edmonton picked the University, so Calgary was set to become the capital. This however changed when the Liberal Canadian Government stepped in and rigged the first provincial election by drawing riding boundaries beneficial to Liberal Edmonton (more seats, wagon wheel sort of division, with Edmonton the hub, this also lessened the conservative rural vote in the Edmonton area) and detrimental to Conservative Calgary (square ridings) and the first government of Alberta was therefore a Liberal one (they would NEVER again form the government after they were voted out). They would play political patronage and give the capital to Liberal Edmonton over Conservative Calgary and on September 1, 1905 when parties were happening in Edmonton after Alberta became a province, Calgary (the real capital) was quiet.

From that day on... people in Calgary, and the big four and other prominent power individuals in the city chose to make Calgary the business capital of Alberta and to succeed and make Calgary greater and better than the government dependent Edmonton - and from the prospective of a fifth generation Calgarian - I think they and us have succeeded.

** note: this is from stories passed down over the years from my family... just remember, while these stories are true, many details get lost and changed as the stories pass through the lens of time and family recollection - it's not meant to be 100 accurate historical fact.

Last edited by JackIsBack; 08-23-2019 at 09:33 AM.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JackIsBack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 09:29 AM   #86
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
It doesn't look good in any colour.

I thought I should expand on my comments of promoting a western stereotype. Yes I know the Calgary area does have a history of ranching and the Stampede, despite the not so authentic beginnings, is a big part of the city. It just seems really lazy and almost cliché to me to resort to a western theme when there is so much else going on in a vibrant modern city.

I like the team name Flames because it has a modern feel of industry and speed. I also loved that recent shoulder patch because it reminded me of my favourite parts of Calgary, the brilliant local geography and sun sets.

Spoiler!
I admit that I don't get this - flames = modern industry? Which one - blacksmithing, or sour gas venting.

Last edited by GioforPM; 08-23-2019 at 09:31 AM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 04:18 PM   #87
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Every FanAttic is already sold out of these hats. Jeez.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:32 PM   #88
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Every FanAttic is already sold out of these hats. Jeez.
http://www.flamesport.com/product/34...rse-cap-black/
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:44 PM   #89
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Yeah, but I prefer to buy things in-person if I can.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:01 PM   #90
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, but I prefer to buy things in-person if I can.
But you said it yourself, you can't. They're sold out.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 05:37 PM   #91
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting, because that seems to contradict a previous tweet from Popowich:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1106982885280477187
Well let’s just call it a hot take.
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:10 PM   #92
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

I got mine.

Y'all can be philistines all you want, that hat is lit.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 12:10 PM   #93
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Has anyone ever seen a good re-colour of Blasty?

I could see the black jerseys selling like hot-cakes but I'd love to see a design where he returns to the shoulder. Without re-introducing black, he's always looked odd re-coloured in what I've tried.
I have this ol' blasty metal cut all red logo which I recieved as a gift. I always thought the simple all red looked good.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 12:17 PM   #94
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
I have this ol' blasty metal cut all red logo which I recieved as a gift. I always thought the simple all red looked good.
One thing that has always seemed off is him in red in the first place - this gives him hope!

Helluva sweet gift btw!
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #95
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i've got blasty on the legs of my pool table...

IMG_2792 by bc-chris, on Flickr

IMG_4846 by bc-chris, on Flickr
Old 08-25-2019, 03:58 PM   #96
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve wanted that exact hat forever. I bought one online but I agree that Zephyr hats are typically terrible. Really wish these were new era.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:10 PM   #97
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's like putting a booger on the Mona Lisa, bcChris
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #98
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I love the blasty logo. Wish they had something than SnapBack with it on it. I find it’s getting harder and harder to get nice Flames hats since Adidas took over unless it’s a SnapBack.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 08-25-2019 at 04:27 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:24 PM   #99
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
It's like putting a booger on the Mona Lisa, bcChris

ha! ha!

everyone has to sneeze sometime!
Old 08-25-2019, 05:53 PM   #100
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I love the blasty logo. Wish they had something than SnapBack with it on it. I find it’s getting harder and harder to get nice Flames hats since Adidas took over unless it’s a SnapBack.
For some godawful reason SnapBack hats seem to be making a comeback.

New era 39thirty hats are the best. I have one for almost every team I cheer for. But they’re getting harder to find.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote