Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Flames @ Wild - 6:00 MST

Flames take on the Wild tonight at Xcel Energy Center -- the two teams met back on October 21 with Minnesota winning 4-2 in Calgary. In that game, the Flames scored the go-ahead goal early in the third period, but the Wild came back with three unanswered in the final 10 minutes of the game to take the two points.

Only one point separates them in the wildcard race, with Minnesota having one game in hand. Both teams are also riding two game winning streaks; the Wild have also won four out of their last five, with three of them coming in overtime.

Who's hot: Sam Bennett continues to pile up points, including the GWG against Vancouver.

Who's not: Flames powerplay looked putrid against Vancouver, especially the first unit. Mark Jankowski, come on down.

Prediction: Flames win 3-2 in OT.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 10:18 AM   #2
OminousFlames
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I agree with the powerplay.. it was so bad, I wanted to turn my TV off. How can so many other teams have a threatening PP, and ours looks like trash?
OminousFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OminousFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #3
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Flames owe the Wild after letting them off the hook in October. Or something like that.

Flames return the favor, win it 4-2

Goals from Monahan, Gaudreau, Hamilton & Bennett
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett: 0 points in his first 15 games. 11 points in 15 games since.

If he could consistently product in the 0.5-0.7 PPG range for this team in a third line role it will be huge for them.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #5
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

A winning streak right before Christmas would be wonderful.

Go Flames!
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #6
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The special teams will be an interesting match up. The Wild have quite a good power play having scored 19 times during their 83 opportunities this season.
The Flames have scored 20 times on the PP, however, they had 103 opportunities.

On the reverse the Wild are a middle of the road penalty killing team, having allowed 20 goals this season on 110 occasions. this ranks them around 12th.
The Flames, although much improved as of late, are ranked 28th on the PK, Having allowed 23 goals in 98 kills.

Discipline, again, will be an important story for the Flames, the special teams match up is in favour of the Wild. Every goal will be crucial since neither team scores a lot, both being tied for 17th with 86 goals on the season. That being said, the Wild have played fewer games.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #7
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Bennett: 0 points in his first 15 games. 11 points in 15 games since.

If he could consistently product in the 0.5-0.7 PPG range for this team in a third line role it will be huge for them.
A lot of credit goes to Jankowski. Seems like a good fit. After seeing last game, I want Hathaway sticking with those two too. Jagr should play 4th line, and a few shifts with JG and Monahan too.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #8
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OminousFlames View Post
I agree with the powerplay.. it was so bad, I wanted to turn my TV off. How can so many other teams have a threatening PP, and ours looks like trash?
These things are cyclical. Through the month of November the Flames had the #4 power play in the League, which scored 12 goals on 42 opportunities equalling a 28.6% clip.

Clearly, they miss Versteeg more than any of us imagined, and making the adjustment is proving to be slow and difficult. However, the power play will not look anemic for the remainder of the season. As with all teams, the Flames man advantage will again get red hot and produce goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #9
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Isn't the Flames PP in the top half of the league?

It can certainly improve but I think it's overblown...it was top 10 when Versteeg went down and people were still complaining.

Last edited by dino7c; 12-12-2017 at 10:49 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:52 AM   #10
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe the GM should throw out a prank email to all the players and staff saying the NHL contacted him and moved the start time up by 45:00 minutes due to TV scheduling conflict.

Maybe that way they'll ACTUALLY be ready when the puck drops instead of finally waking up near the end of the 2nd.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #11
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please put Jankowski back on the first unit PP, the only time he was on it was the only time it looked decent last game. Can't say this will be a fun game, Wild will clog the neutral zone and trap the hell out of the Flames. Low scoring game, Flames win 2-1 in OT. Monahan OT winner for no.10
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:30 AM   #12
Stillman16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Happy Birthday to me Wild 3- Flames 9!!! (Just win!!!)
Stillman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stillman16 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #13
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, the elder statesman of the site is among us.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #14
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
These things are cyclical. Through the month of November the Flames had the #4 power play in the League, which scored 12 goals on 42 opportunities equalling a 28.6% clip.

Clearly, they miss Versteeg more than any of us imagined, and making the adjustment is proving to be slow and difficult. However, the power play will not look anemic for the remainder of the season. As with all teams, the Flames man advantage will again get red hot and produce goals.
For me as a fan the Versteeg angle is what frustrates me to no end and I’m sure others to an extent.

Versteeg was meh on the PP in my opinion.. and more often than not, he either made a weak shot, poor pass, or just simply underwhelming in general.
With that level of play the Flames were very good on the PP?... The fact that the coaching has failed to find a replacement within the room to fill that void is really disappointing. It’s not like the PP was structured around Versteeg.. was it? I hope not.. it tells me, and I’m sure you’ll correct me if I’m wrong, but it says the PP structure is wrong and needs to be revamped. The only adjustment I see is that they put Brouwer and Ferly on the PP(Ferly I love on the PP), and they went to a down low overload type setup rather than an umbrella type funnel everything to the net off Johnny an Versteeg’s shots. Either system does not scream deadly nor give confidence for what they will need come the spring.

It’s sadly familiar to last season, no? PP struggled through the first 2 months, picked up some steam for a couple months and people stopped criticizing the structure and then the Playoffs roll around and the PP suddenly sucks again.

I just don’t like the PP and the implementation of personnel. And if Versteeg was such a huge factor in the PP’s success, it shouldn’t be too hard to find someone with some puck skill who can maintain control of the puck and get some floaters to the net..
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #15
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was my birthday yesterday so today I want the Flames to win 9-3 too! I guess I could say I hope the wild lose 3-9 but I'm more about a Flames win. I guess an oiler loss of 3-9 would be good too.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:56 AM   #16
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

State of Hockey, meet State of Insanity:

Spoiler!

Go Flames

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #17
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
For me as a fan the Versteeg angle is what frustrates me to no end and I’m sure others to an extent.

Versteeg was meh on the PP in my opinion.. and more often than not, he either made a weak shot, poor pass, or just simply underwhelming in general.
With that level of play the Flames were very good on the PP?... The fact that the coaching has failed to find a replacement within the room to fill that void is really disappointing. It’s not like the PP was structured around Versteeg.. was it? I hope not.. it tells me, and I’m sure you’ll correct me if I’m wrong, but it says the PP structure is wrong and needs to be revamped. The only adjustment I see is that they put Brouwer and Ferly on the PP(Ferly I love on the PP), and they went to a down low overload type setup rather than an umbrella type funnel everything to the net off Johnny an Versteeg’s shots. Either system does not scream deadly nor give confidence for what they will need come the spring.

It’s sadly familiar to last season, no? PP struggled through the first 2 months, picked up some steam for a couple months and people stopped criticizing the structure and then the Playoffs roll around and the PP suddenly sucks again.

I just don’t like the PP and the implementation of personnel. And if Versteeg was such a huge factor in the PP’s success, it shouldn’t be too hard to find someone with some puck skill who can maintain control of the puck and get some floaters to the net..
Not that I'm disagreeing that the PP is inconsistent, but didn't Monahan score 4 power play goals in the playoffs last year?
Old 12-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #18
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Watch for lots of slashes at Gaudreau's hands.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #19
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
...It’s sadly familiar to last season, no? PP struggled through the first 2 months, picked up some steam for a couple months and people stopped criticizing the structure and then the Playoffs roll around and the PP suddenly sucks again...
"Sadly familiar"? If anything, I think the takeaway from last year is that the team has the requisite personnel to construct a lethal power play, which strongly suggests that it will get much better sooner than later.

The power play was in the NHL top-ten from December to the end of the season last year, and was successful at an eye popping 37.5% rate in the post season. Yeah, it sure "sucked" in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #20
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Start with getting rid of 2 goal scorer, Troy Brouwer off of the PP. Ferlie can stand in front of the net and we can put Bennett or Janko on the point if they don't want to put another defenseman on the point.

The PP hasn't been completely terrible. It got better once they got Brouwer off of the top unit, but it suffered a bit once Versteeg was injured and Brouwer found his way back on... like, isn't there a better option that Brouwer? Somebody who has offensive talent isn't getting a shot on the PP, why use Brouwer?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post: