Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 04:47 PM   #4541
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Tough to resurface the ice in a minute and a half.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:50 PM   #4542
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Tough to resurface the ice in a minute and a half.
There wouldn't be one in my scenario. Would the ice be too ****ty after 30 minutes? I guess it may be, then that kind of kills that idea.

Maybe a dry scrape like they do for OT?
Old 12-30-2017, 04:59 PM   #4543
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Half of the intermission is spent playing sumo hockey or some such other entertainment gag. Is that necessary? Can't the zambonis just get it done and get the game going again? Also, are the new arenas outfitted with better ice freezing technology? Is it still necessary to have two looooong intermissions per game?

I would love it if NHL games were 2 hours flat. If they would simply ditch the shootout and call it a tie after 5 minutes of OT, there's no reason why they couldn't do this, and still keep 90% of their TV timeouts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2017, 05:03 PM   #4544
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Half of the intermission is spent playing sumo hockey or some such other entertainment gag. Is that necessary? Can't the zambonis just get it done and get the game going again? Also, are the new arenas outfitted with better ice freezing technology? Is it still necessary to have two looooong intermissions per game?

I would love it if NHL games were 2 hours flat. If they would simply ditch the shootout and call it a tie after 5 minutes of OT, there's no reason why they couldn't do this, and still keep 90% of their TV timeouts.
Yeah, and isn't the entertainment in the intermissions before the Zamboni? And wouldn't that kind of dispel the poster who stated that the NHL requires 18 minute intermissions for ice quality concerns?
Old 12-30-2017, 05:12 PM   #4545
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whether it’s one intermission or shortening games, I think all sports need to look at this. Hockey has the advantage in that they have the most amount of dead time (36 minutes) to cut. You have to wonder if someone is thinking about a technology solution to change the 3 period format.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:16 PM   #4546
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They'd need more toilets and concessions to push people through quicker...sounds like an idea that would only work with new arenas for everyone!
Old 12-31-2017, 12:06 AM   #4547
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
A good article on the uncertain future of pro sports. For some context on the business of sports and arenas.
Very good points. I wonder if the 2020 lockout will finally be the one that actually greatly reduces fan interest.

Though with that said, I think that Canadian fans/teams (except maybe Ottawa) would be more immune to this since hockey is so much more a way of life up here than in the USA.

All the more reason why it's very unlikely that the Flames move.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #4548
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
They'd need more toilets and concessions to push people through quicker...sounds like an idea that would only work with new arenas for everyone!
Rogers Place kind of busted this myth, didn't it? Or have they solved their bathroom lineup issues?
Old 12-31-2017, 11:17 AM   #4549
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

How do you cut time down without sacrificing advertising revenues? This is why there’s sumo hockey at intermission and what (I’d imagine) Rogers Sportsnet would have a massive problem with, especially with how much they spent on the contract.

But I agree, way too long and too much entertainment competition now. Pro sports needs to adjust to keep revenue growth profiles.

I did my best to try and watch NFL this year but the amount of commercials is beyond ridiculous now. Up to 6-8 more commercials today than just a few years ago and continues to increase. It’s awful.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:31 AM   #4550
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rogers Place kind of busted this myth, didn't it? Or have they solved their bathroom lineup issues?
Oh, they'd need a new arena too.

I think their issue is they put them in the wrong spots, lots of toilets for the rich who don't drink as much, not enough for the regular boozers.

Still, if you are going to cut breaks to 5 minutes, you are going to need pee pipes at every seat.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #4551
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The inverted bowl concept was supposed to solve this.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:05 PM   #4552
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I was there in November and they tripled the size of the upper level bathrooms. But the new space is blocked from view by a corner so they had to hire someone to stand and direct people and watch them urinate all game.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:28 AM   #4553
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Nenshi says Calgary could look to Seattle, New York for arena solutions

Talks between the city and the Flames remain stalled

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rena-1.4502749

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi says the city is not working with any partners on a possible new arena in Victoria Park.

Reports have suggested that the city could work with the Calgary Municipal Land Corporation or private-sector companies to build a new arena, with the private companies acting as anchor tenants, but Nenshi said Wednesday that those plans are not being discussed at present.

However, he said Calgary could look to other cities for solutions.

The city said the master plan to turn Victoria Park into an entertainment district is set to be released in a few weeks and there will be opportunities for public engagement.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:22 AM   #4554
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The CBC has acquired the draft report from CMLC for the future of East Victoria Park: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/c...cmlc-1.4504422

Not surprisingly, it includes space for the replacement of the Saddledome. It sees the Saddledome being demolished and replaced with new parking. It also has the current Saddledome parkade being removed in favour of additional park space next to the river.

This is a 20 year vision for the full buildout of the area and includes the full expansion of the BMO Centre (including the replacement of the Corral), and the extension of 17th Ave through the Stampede grounds, connecting with both 4th and 5th Streets.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:43 AM   #4555
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Nenshi says Calgary could look to Seattle for arena solutions

So could the Flames
Old 01-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #4556
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Pfft.....

Ken King and co won't even look at this thing, it's not rendered in MS Paint 2003.

If they really want to catch CSECs eye....

The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #4557
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
"It'll be a 20-year-plan to turn what's currently a bizarre jumble of skyscrapers, empty lots, an aging Saddledome and several rail lines into Calgary's entertainment district of the future, and a cool place to live," writes CBC Calgary's Scott Dippel after obtaining an early draft of plans to redesign Victoria Park.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...cmlc-1.4504422
Old 01-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #4558
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Call me crazy, but despite Edwards and Nenshi I'm still optimistic they'll figure this out. Seattle will have a team, but it won't be ours.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:22 PM   #4559
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Call me crazy, but despite Edwards and Nenshi I'm still optimistic they'll figure this out. Seattle will have a team, but it won't be ours.
You're crazy.

Although I agree with you. Theres lots of room to move on both sides here but the rulers have to get put away.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #4560
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who will show some leadership and reach out?

Given the repeated public stance of the Calgary (we closed that file and destroyed the cabinet) Flames, I guess (hope) it will be the City although of course logically it should be CSEC.
Closed Thread