Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2021, 03:31 PM   #141
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Too much dead weight like this is exactly why the Flames are now what they are Leivo, Simon, Ryan, Bennett, Nordstrom, Richie, Rinaldo 7 forwards that do nothing for the team more often than not, plus Monahan who might have the worst compete level of the whole lot of bums above. Somehow half of them are actually in contention to play on the teams top line on any given night as well! Bravo BT for assembling such a serious contender in year 7 of your tenure....

In Ryan we're talking about a 4th line player on any decent, playoff calibre team. At his cap hit he should be a heck of a lot more than what he is too. You can maybe afford to have 2 of these guys on the roster, but certainly not more than half your forwards made up of garbage bin talent like this.
I can understand that, But it may difficult to attract a good player when is your team located in small market in colder place. If the team can't find a talent through draft, you must pay more to sign or to trade for a player.

Anyway these players could be and should be useful if you use them correctly. Unfortunately this management or the coach is not able to do that.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:32 PM   #142
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
That's really unfortunate. I know he played outstanding against Toronto, but his performances against Ottawa after were terrible. Like the rest of the team, you don't know what you're going to get in Rittich.

I'll revise my 3 or 4-0 prediction from before where I assumed Markstrom would start to a 4-2 loss for the Flames.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:34 PM   #143
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
Sam Bennett had the lowest hockey IQ i think that I have ever seen in an NHL player, how this guy went 4th overall amazes me.

He's the single reason for this failed rebuild

I be happy to never see him in a flames jersey again, i wish i could Men in Black zap him from my memory forever
Hockey IQ of a longan fruit.

Treliving should have tried to dump him to the Oilers and his buddy McDavid, last year for Pulljarvi when he was still out of the NHL.

Too late now. We can't even get one of the Giordanos from the oilers for him.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:45 PM   #144
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Hockey IQ of a longan fruit.

Treliving should have tried to dump him to the Oilers and his buddy McDavid, last year for Pulljarvi when he was still out of the NHL.

Too late now. We can't even get one of the Giordanos from the oilers for him.
Its amazing our scouts couldn't see the complete lack of intelligence. I wont lie i was stoked when we got him and i think thats why it hurts even more.

Hes the poster child for the flames organization just complete underachievement and disappointment, completely fitting he's our highest draft pick ever.
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:45 PM   #145
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Sam Bennett had the lowest hockey IQ i think that I have ever seen in an NHL player, how this guy went 4th overall amazes me.

I be happy to never see him in a flames jersey again, i wish i could Men in Black zap him from my memory forever
The Hamonic deal that depleted the flames of the 12th overall in 2018 (1st round), the 43rd overall (2nd round) in the same draft and a 57th overall (2nd round) in 2019 along with the Bennett pick (although it was a bad draft year not a bad pick...Virtanen and Fiala are similar players, and we weren't drafting Nylander or Ehlers...or Pastrnak at #25).

Noah Dobson, Joel Farabee and Ty Smith all went around #12 (and 10 players out of 20 picked at #12 and after are in their NHL rookie seasons this year)...at #43 and after there are 3 players making their NHL debuts this season. The #57 in 2019 has no one playing in the NHL after that pick...yet...next season there should be a few.

When the Flames had great teams, they were a result of getting NHL players through the draft. When other teams rise in the standings it is because they get multiple NHLers in the draft.

Trading three assets for Hamonic was a big step back for this franchise, as was getting unlucky with a weak draft year at #4 and below with Bennett.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 04:23 PM   #146
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What can be said about the Flames' woes that hasn't been said already? The only question for tonight's game is, which player gets the only Flames' goal?

I'm going to say Lucic, again.

Go Flame Go!
ThisIsAnOutrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:57 PM   #147
Flamesforever99
Draft Pick

Leivo getting first line duties tonight all but confirms tonight is an L.
Flamesforever99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:03 PM   #148
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's sad when we've lost hope before playing Ottawa, in any year really.

Just show some life boys.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:05 PM   #149
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

"David Rittich was in starter’s net and is first goaltender off...looks like he’ll get his sixth-straight start and play in his ninth-straight game"

not only an announcement of the starter but also a reminder that the Flames got blown out 3 times and the starting goalie got pulled LOL
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:06 PM   #150
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

75 - 1 for the Flames
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:33 PM   #151
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
75 - 1 for the Flames
Are those the betting odds?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 06:00 PM   #152
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary will win tonight, I can pretty much guarantee it.

But I have been wrong before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:06 PM   #153
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

It has been a while since I watched a game with the frog, time to bring the amphibian back into the fold! GFG.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 06:28 PM   #154
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1367646288334913537
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 06:31 PM   #155
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
The Hamonic deal that depleted the flames of the 12th overall in 2018 (1st round), the 43rd overall (2nd round) in the same draft and a 57th overall (2nd round) in 2019 along with the Bennett pick (although it was a bad draft year not a bad pick...Virtanen and Fiala are similar players, and we weren't drafting Nylander or Ehlers...or Pastrnak at #25).

Noah Dobson, Joel Farabee and Ty Smith all went around #12 (and 10 players out of 20 picked at #12 and after are in their NHL rookie seasons this year)...at #43 and after there are 3 players making their NHL debuts this season. The #57 in 2019 has no one playing in the NHL after that pick...yet...next season there should be a few.

When the Flames had great teams, they were a result of getting NHL players through the draft. When other teams rise in the standings it is because they get multiple NHLers in the draft.

Trading three assets for Hamonic was a big step back for this franchise, as was getting unlucky with a weak draft year at #4 and below with Bennett.
The 89 Flames were built with both drafts and trades. Sutter, MacInnis, Newy, Roberts, Vernon, Loob: draft. Mullen, Gilmour, Hunter, Ramage, McCrimmon: trade. Macon, Patterson, Otto: college UFA. I can’t recall any true UFAs.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:46 PM   #156
motorcrosser
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, bennett is the only reason for the failed rebuild. Sure.
motorcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:48 PM   #157
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a different time. Great drafting to be sure but those trades put the team over the top.

Acquiring two future HHOFers in their prime through trade? Truly mind blowing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:51 PM   #158
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another reverse retro night. Could it feel any more like this team is back in 1998?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 06:54 PM   #159
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcrosser View Post
Yeah, bennett is the only reason for the failed rebuild. Sure.
It’s a pretty major factor IMO. If Bennett becomes a 1C as good as, say Draisaitl, Monahan is a really good 2C, Backlund a terrific 3C. You either don’t go out and get Hanifin and Lindholm so you keep Ferland and Hamilton or you do a similar deal for a stud RW. Or you get Lindholm and he’s a great RW. Let’s even assume you make the same Neal mistake and replace him with Lucic.

Gaudreau-really good Bennett-top RW (maybe Lindholm), or Ferland
Tkachuk-Monahan-Mangiapane
Lucic-Backlund-Dube

This looks pretty good.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 06:55 PM   #160
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don't believe this is what he is doing. He is going back to a top-three configuration that has been used pretty consistently on home ice, and has looked quite good there in every game save for the last one v. the Canucks. In theory, this should work.

What I meant was, I prefer if he is going to go back to those pairs, to change those pairs up for a different look. I am not really insinuating that Ward is just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Tkachuk and Lindholm is not working IMO. Just for a few periods, I would just like to see:
Tkachuk - Monahan - Dube or Mangiapane
Gaudreau - Lindholm - Dube or Mangiapane

I know he is sticking to his pairs, but if the "Lindholm at centre" experiment is going to work, it seems like it will be without Tkachuk.

Tkachuck and Monahan seem too slow together on paper, but it might work. Having Dube or Mangiapane might then give that line a bit more forechecking speed.

Just something different to see if somehow the top two lines can function as the top two lines.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: