Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-16-2019, 07:28 PM   #1
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default WiFi Speaker - Airplay and Chromecast

Does anyone have a recommendation for a wifi speaker that can play both AirPlay and Chromecast? AirPlay only is a non starter since you can't stream anything from Android. Chromecast only is half way there with app support (Netflix, YouTube,etc.) but you can't stream Apple music which is a bummer. I've found high end speakers (Naim Audio) that play both but I'm really struggling to find one at a reasonable price point. Any suggestions?
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I use Sonos, it has both.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

I use Sonos as well. You can set it up for everything through their app. You can also purchase one from Shoppers Drugmart. It's a great item to utilize their rewards points on.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe that Sonos supports Chromecast directly. I know that you can stream Google Music (plus a bunch of other services) to Sonos speakers via the Sonos app. I also know that Sonos now supports AirPlay2 directly. But I'm not seeing any options to stream audio from an app like Youtube, Netflix, etc. directly to Sonos.

I have a mostly-Apple environment, but I'll admit that I don't have an Android device. But the iOS apps that typically allow me to Chromecast when one is present on the network are not showing that option on the network that my Sonos is on.

That being said, I do like Sonos. But from what I can tell, Android users have to use the Sonos app and the associated services to control everything and you can't Chromecast directly.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:07 PM   #5
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Your right it doesn’t support Chromecast. You could use the google assistant built in to ask to play but casting no.

Kind of wierd but I have read it is because Google makes a competing speaker product.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:30 PM   #6
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use Sonos but I do it on the cheap, Craigslist and Ikea, I have the Ikea speaker in the bathroom, a second hand connect hooked to my bedroom system and an older ZP100 sonos amp in the dinning room which runs speakers in there and also has an RCA output to my main stereo in the living room.

Whole set up about 500 bucks
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote