Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-01-2020, 04:18 PM   #121
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

You can also argue that the NBA has become an illegitimate sport in it's quest to be more entertaining (which is I guess kind of what you were saying).
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:42 PM   #122
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
You can also argue that the NBA has become an illegitimate sport in it's quest to be more entertaining (which is I guess kind of what you were saying).
while officiating can be controversial, these takes are brutal. People take it as legitimate. It's probably the second most popular/profitable sport in the world.

That is largely on Stern and his direction.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:53 AM   #123
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
while officiating can be controversial, these takes are brutal. People take it as legitimate. It's probably the second most popular/profitable sport in the world.

That is largely on Stern and his direction.

I think there are two things at play here. 1) the corporate success which Stern engineered, and 2) the sport legitimacy itself, which is questionable because of the direction Stern took. It's pretty evident among other things he did, was that he wanted a star driven league at all costs, and that has been driven by preferential calls for those players and teams. Anyone who watches a game can see this, and I'm sure there's statistical evidence of it. In comparison to other leagues it's so much more obvious. Stern is the guy at the top who could've changed this over the years but has not, because it benefited his vision. So yes, you have corporate success, but the legitimacy of fairness, has been as fair as watching the WWE.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #124
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I think there are two things at play here. 1) the corporate success which Stern engineered, and 2) the sport legitimacy itself, which is questionable because of the direction Stern took. It's pretty evident among other things he did, was that he wanted a star driven league at all costs, and that has been driven by preferential calls for those players and teams. Anyone who watches a game can see this, and I'm sure there's statistical evidence of it. In comparison to other leagues it's so much more obvious. Stern is the guy at the top who could've changed this over the years but has not, because it benefited his vision. So yes, you have corporate success, but the legitimacy of fairness, has been as fair as watching the WWE.
Star players get preferential treatment. Full stop. I think the reason why it seems so ridiculous in the NBA is because star players are nearly always on the court and often are on the ball. IMO officiating will always be held to an impossible standard, especially with slow-mo replays and a million camera angles.

What bothers me the most about the NBA is the salary structure. The parity in the league is very poor, and if you are not a have team, it is difficult to bring in, or retain talent. What we are left with is 4 or 5 super teams in any given year, Some times even less then that. It makes the regular season appear to be meaningless.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 11:03 PM   #125
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The Raptors are somehow managing to tread water with all these injuries. FVV out now, along with Gasol, Siakam and Powell. I've always had a soft spot for bench players so it was fun to see Terrence Davis have a big night tonight with 23 points and 11 boards. That was a good post game interview with him too getting the little mini gatorade shower from Powell.

I maintain that this is a very fun team to watch and they really do play like a team.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 09:45 AM   #126
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
The Raptors are somehow managing to tread water with all these injuries. FVV out now, along with Gasol, Siakam and Powell. I've always had a soft spot for bench players so it was fun to see Terrence Davis have a big night tonight with 23 points and 11 boards. That was a good post game interview with him too getting the little mini gatorade shower from Powell.

I maintain that this is a very fun team to watch and they really do play like a team.

Nice come back for TD2 after disparaging comments from the coach after previous game (his 8 minutes “probably being 5 minutes too many”)
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #127
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Nice come back for TD2 after disparaging comments from the coach after previous game (his 8 minutes “probably being 5 minutes too many”)
Nurse said that? I missed that one. Seems a bit harsh, but I do love how Nurse has set his expectations so high. I haven't seen him take to the media before to send a message though.

These injuries could eff off soon. Missing three starters and your first guy off the bench is pretty tough to manage.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:06 PM   #128
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Nurse said that? I missed that one. Seems a bit harsh, but I do love how Nurse has set his expectations so high. I haven't seen him take to the media before to send a message though.

These injuries could eff off soon. Missing three starters and your first guy off the bench is pretty tough to manage.
I agree, was surprising but seems like it worked.

Quote:

“Obviously, my play was terrible the last few games,” Davis said. “I take that as a challenge. What he said there, I loved it. All of my coaches throughout my career have been like that, straightforward, no sugar-coating. And that’s the way you want when you’re a player. And the great thing about it is in this league you have games after games. So we had another game the next day which was a blessing in my eyes.

“So I just wanted to come out and show Nick Nurse and the Raptors I can play a little bit.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...-career-night/
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #129
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The key is he didn't make those comments and the staple him to the bench.

He made those comments, then he started the next game, and pretty much let Davis prove him wrong.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 04:25 PM   #130
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Ya Davis mentioned in his postgame comments that he agreed with Nurse that he didn't play well during the game in question and he likes having coaches that challenge him, so maybe Nurse knows what makes certain players tick, and like it was mentioned he started Davis the next game to prove himself.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #131
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Finally getting some bodies back.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1216488979014520833
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 06:42 PM   #132
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't believe the Raps lost tonights game. I turned it off when they were ahead by about 20 points. I don't know what happened but these games can be a confidence killer.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #133
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

How about Norman Powell lately. Even before his injury he was playing absolutely lights out.

27 points tonight in only 25 minutes. He has scored 20 or more points in all but one game since Dec. 11.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #134
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chandler Parsons says he suffered potentially career-ending injuries in a car crash.

The driver who allegedly caused the crash was arrested for DUI. Awful.

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/sta...072585216?s=09

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:11 PM   #135
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
How about Norman Powell lately. Even before his injury he was playing absolutely lights out.

27 points tonight in only 25 minutes. He has scored 20 or more points in all but one game since Dec. 11.

I thought Powell's career was on it's last legs as a potential guy, and this past month he's turned it on. I still think he doesn't have the head for the game (my theory is he can't focus), but it's now become an interesting conundrum - keep or trade? I'm sure Uriji would dangle him in a heartbeat in any deal, but this certainly brings up his value substantially if he can keep it up. I wonder what a Gasol and Powell deal can bring back in return?
Old 01-25-2020, 01:36 PM   #136
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to guess that Vince Carter may be a target this year. I think they're mentally strong enough to bring him in where they won't rely or be too gaga over him.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:43 AM   #137
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Big win for my Jazz yesterday against the Mavs. Rudy Gobert is such a beast. Will be criminal if he doesnt end up on the allstar team. Had one of the most incredible shot blocks I've ever seen to win the game.
doozwimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:39 PM   #138
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by chummer; 01-26-2020 at 12:48 PM.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #139
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kobe Bryant killed in a helicopter crash per TMZ
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:01 PM   #140
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unbelievable.. horrible news