Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Skiing 2019-2020

I've had a few texts and PM's shot my way asking about Sports Rent ski tune special so I figured I'd start up this years thread. Mods if this is too promotional let me know and I'll remove or edit as needed.

As per usual we have our $30 complete tune special on now at Sports Rent, I know a bunch of users in the past have used this so feel free to drop off your skis if you need any work done to start the season.

I will also mention we do JR seasonal ski packages (boots and skis) for $170. Pickup anytime now and return by June 1st, skis sizes go from 70cm-140cm.

Costco Prices...

Lake Louise
2 adult tickets for $197.99

Sunshine
2 adult for $179.99

Fernie
2 adult for $179.99

Revelstoke
2 adult for $189.99

Nakiska/Kimberley
2 adult for $142.99

Norquay
2 adult for $124.99

Castle Mountain
2 adult for $149.99

Whitefish

This one isn't as clear but it says 2 adult for $166 USD, no clue how the convert or charge this one out.

Pretty much all of these will also include discounts for kids as well.

Last edited by fleuryisgod; 10-23-2019 at 02:26 PM.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fleuryisgod For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Looks like Nakiska is going to open super early this year and will be running 6 runs October 26/27th. Probably not worth the $60 ticket but if your desperate to start the season you can.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #3
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Louise cards are out now, too. $99 until December 24. Opening day is November 8.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:44 PM   #4
slots881
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Calgary Ski sale starts tomorrow at MaxBell:
http://www.skisale.ca/

It's usually pretty busy, but sometimes if you're patient and know what you're looking for, there are some good deals.
slots881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:04 PM   #5
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Louise cards are out now, too. $99 until December 24. Opening day is November 8.
Prices are getting out of hand. Even with a card discount it's still $100. For crappy lifts that may or may not break down. I get half price tickets and it is still dubious value, I'm not going to bother unless it's really looking good. I would imagine most families have been priced out of SS/LL.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:16 PM   #6
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Prices are getting out of hand. Even with a card discount it's still $100. For crappy lifts that may or may not break down. I get half price tickets and it is still dubious value, I'm not going to bother unless it's really looking good. I would imagine most families have been priced out of SS/LL.
Yeah, although I remember in the 90s my dad saying skiing has become a rich man's sport. I think it has always been expensive.

Overhead at these places is bananas and they can only be open half the year (if that), obviously, so it's no wonder they're expensive. IDK, I think it's totally worth it still. It makes winter something to look forward to and enjoy. The views are always spectacular and being there with your family is pretty much the best. It does suck it's so pricey, but I imagine hockey families put a lot of money into hockey and tournaments and stuff. For my family, our winter fun money goes 100% to snowboarding and we get a lot from it.

Too bad Fortress wasn't still open. That was awesome value and so close to home. Personally, I can't be bothered with Nakiska. It's the actual worst.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #7
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are open in summer, too, milking the hell out of the foreign tourists. Which I'm cool with if it subsidizes winter! It just seems like it has gone up 15% a year for the past 5 years. I agree that when it is great, it's great. But there are also crap days.

I've done the snow check before when Glacier and the 6 pack were both broken, and the line was over an hour for the gondola. For that kind of money, it's pretty inexcusable. Sure, I got my ticket back, but it is still a few hours of driving, gas money, and half a day wasted.

I totally miss Fortress as well, that was great value. I don't need a fancy lodge, terrain parks, overpriced food etc. Just give me lifts that work. If they want to charge Whistler prices, they better provide Whistler services.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #8
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Personally I always get the power of 4 pass from Norquay, costs $135 per person when you buy them during the summer (have to buy them in 4's) and you can ski Monday-Friday. With my schedule it works out perfect and the skiing is good enough for the cost.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #9
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doing a trip to Whitefish and a trip to Canmore (for a bachelor party) this year. Those 4 days of skiing will probably cover all my resort skiing for the year. Totally not worth the money IMO. I'll go out and tour here and there instead.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:58 PM   #10
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
They are open in summer, too, milking the hell out of the foreign tourists. Which I'm cool with if it subsidizes winter! It just seems like it has gone up 15% a year for the past 5 years. I agree that when it is great, it's great. But there are also crap days.

I've done the snow check before when Glacier and the 6 pack were both broken, and the line was over an hour for the gondola. For that kind of money, it's pretty inexcusable. Sure, I got my ticket back, but it is still a few hours of driving, gas money, and half a day wasted.

I totally miss Fortress as well, that was great value. I don't need a fancy lodge, terrain parks, overpriced food etc. Just give me lifts that work. If they want to charge Whistler prices, they better provide Whistler services.
Whistlers isn't always great, either. I was there last December and it was the shats. Terrible conditions and most of the lifts weren't open.

Agree so much on everything you said about not needing a fancy lodge and terrain parks, though. An ATCO trailer for a lodge works for me and detachable high-speed quads are just fine, too. I don't even like gondolas, in fact. If I'm all bundled up for a cold day, I don't want to stuff myself in a box with seven of my closest strangers with everyone disrobing to cool down, only to dress back up at the top. I like chairs way more than gondolas.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 04:01 PM   #11
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

BTW, have you been to Fairmont? That's a fun little hill and totally has Fortress vibes. The lodge is basically Nick's Steakhouse, too. You'll feel like you're in an 80s ski movie there. Burger, pop and a bag of chips or whatever the combo they have is really cheap. You also get a free pass to the hot springs for when you're done if you like swimming in warm human soup and band-aids.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:29 PM   #12
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds good, no haven't been there. The wife tried skiing for a few years, but wasn't really her thing. I might be able to convince her for a weekend of sitting in hot tubs and spas though. She does cross country, so if there are some easy trails she can tool around on that would give me a good excuse!
Old 10-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #13
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the cross-country side of things - is the Max Bell sale any good for x-country items?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:56 PM   #14
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Last couple of days for anyone who wants to get the ski tune special at Sports Rent. $30 special ends on Thursday.
The Following User Says Thank You to fleuryisgod For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2019, 02:52 PM   #15
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Lake Louise is now opening on November 1, not November 8. Lift tickets will be 50% off.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #16
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lake Louise is now opening on November 1, not November 8. Lift tickets will be 50% off.
$62.50 for the Wiwaxy 500???? Sign me up! Wait, no, don't do that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2019, 03:02 PM   #17
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Glacier Express Chair will open at 9:00am providing access to three runs - Wiwaxy, Bald Eagle and Easy Street."

Uh, that's one run guys, not 3. Unless you know a way to access any of them without using any of the others. Nakiska appears to have 29 runs open, so probably the better bet right now.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:57 PM   #18
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hah, yeah. I don't think I'll bother with that. Good for a season pass holder maybe to go out there and mess around a bit.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #19
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
BTW, have you been to Fairmont? That's a fun little hill and totally has Fortress vibes.
Nowhere close to the terrain or snow of Fortress though unfortunately.

I miss when they used to do $2 a run. On our 'off day' of our annual trip out there we'd head up around lunch and buy like 5-8 run passes for $2 each. The lifties would usually stop asking for the tickets halfway through and we'd end up skiing all day for like $10-15.

I'd love for Fortress to re-open. Their 20 year plan looks freaking amazing. I doubt they ever do anything other than CAT there though.

Quote:
$62.50 for the Wiwaxy 500???? Sign me up! Wait, no, don't do that.
I have a buddy jonesing to go. Screw it I'm going. Mind you I was at Nakiska last weekend too.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #20
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has there been an update on Fortress. agreed, that was a great place to go back in the day.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote