Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2020, 02:39 PM   #501
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
I don't imagine there's a single poster on this board who is working with their own personal knowledge or memory of the Vincennes incident, and who is not simply relying on stuff they're finding online. From what I can see, and as I referenced earlier in this thread, it seems the general consensus among online sources is that the US response to the Vincennes incident was entirely unsatisfactory, at least initially.

Here's a bit from Slate generated after Russia shot down the Malaysian airlines plane:

Iran's initial response, much like that of the US 30 years ago, is understandable. The protests that have taken place in Iran after its admission of fault show the type of considerations the regime likely has to balance in handling incidents like this.
No one is supporting the US in the Vincennes incident. However, anyone who is stating that it's totally equivalent to the current incident in Iran is purposely being obtuse.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 02:46 PM   #502
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The flight was going to Dubai, so the airliner was never supposed to reach full altitude. It was to climb to 14,000 feet, cruise, and then begin descent. So it was the normal flight from Tehran to Dubai, but climbed much lower than most commercial flights would (31-38,000 feet). It did not help that the Iranian government was using the airport that 655 came out of as a military airport as well, and launched both commercial and military aircraft from the same site.
That's what I'm saying..
The altitude was normal for that short flight path on that route. It didn't deviate from that.
14000ft was full altitude for that particular flight path. It was nothing extraordinary.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:50 PM   #503
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No one is supporting the US in the Vincennes incident. However, anyone who is stating that it's totally equivalent to the current incident in Iran is purposely being obtuse.
I am not sure what you mean by totally equivalent, but in both cases an airliner was shot down and the respective Governments initially tried to deny they had screwed up, all I was trying to point out was that it was wholly believable, and beyond that most likely that, as in the Vincennes, the Iranians had shot the airliner down by mistake, mostly because the Iranians, like the US before, had nothing to gain by shooting down an airliner.

Beyond that there was a lot of indignation that Iran took a day longer to fess up than the americans, personally I suspect either side would have covered it up if they could.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 03:54 PM   #504
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

and bulldozed the site

and arrested people who released videos.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #505
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
and bulldozed the site

and arrested people who released videos.
they do all kinds of ####ty things, I wasn't argueing moral equivalency between the US and Iran, just that they shot the plane down by accident
Old 01-16-2020, 04:46 PM   #506
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
they do all kinds of ####ty things, I wasn't argueing moral equivalency between the US and Iran, just that they shot the plane down by accident
Actually you were doing this.

Quote:
Beyond that there was a lot of indignation that Iran took a day longer to fess up than the americans
Which is false, and there was a lot of other reasons tied into the discussion here, and I think you know that. So why are you doing this? We all get it. The US shot down an Iranian airliner and initially denied it. It's ####ty.

Last edited by nik-; 01-16-2020 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:31 PM   #507
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Actually you were doing this.

Which is false, and there was a lot of other reasons tied into the discussion here, and I think you know that. So why are you doing this? We all get it. The US shot down an Iranian airliner and initially denied it. It's ####ty.
Yes, that's my point, all countries at times do ####ty things, it doesn't make them totally evil, by painting Iran as an evil regime it makes any stupid thing done against them ok.

By painting Iran as evil it excuses all kinds of dumb arse actions which will make things worse, in just the same way as if you just assume the US is always good it also excuses all kinds of bad things, in truth like everything else in the world there are shades of grey.

To be clear I am not a fan of the Iranian regime, but I find our ally Saudi Arabia even worse
Old 01-16-2020, 05:40 PM   #508
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, that's my point, all countries at times do ####ty things, it doesn't make them totally evil, by painting Iran as an evil regime it makes any stupid thing done against them ok.

By painting Iran as evil it excuses all kinds of dumb arse actions which will make things worse, in just the same way as if you just assume the US is always good it also excuses all kinds of bad things, in truth like everything else in the world there are shades of grey.

To be clear I am not a fan of the Iranian regime, but I find our ally Saudi Arabia even worse
Ok now you're just straight up being dishonest. It's clear that's not my position, you just have a hard time understanding positions that aren't black and white. Stop weaseling this stuff into posts.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #509
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

in just the same way as if you just assume the US is always good
Old 01-16-2020, 06:43 PM   #510
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Actually I think you'll find that, if you harken back to roughly posts 160-171 in this thread, you'll see an exchange I had with Peter12 where he does appear to explicitly support the US response to Vincennes, presumably on the understanding the US immediately took responsibility and apologized (which, based on sources I've researched including a Wapo article I quoted, the US did not).

The argument therefore has been made on this basis that the two incidents are not equivalent which, at least in the early stages, they appear to have been. Interestingly, Rouhani's admission and expression of remorse - which came 3 days after the incident and followed initial denials and misrepresentations - notably did not include an express apology, which again seems directly equivalent to the US approach.

If Iran either issues a formal apology or, within the next 8 years, pays compensation to the families of the victims, the argument could be made that their response to this tragedy has actually been better than the US response to the Vincennes incident.

All that to say there's a fair debate to be had around the equivalency of the two situations, and judgment will have to await the second response fully playing out.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:08 PM   #511
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
in just the same way as if you just assume the US is always good
!!

Apologies, missed those two critical letters.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 09:49 AM   #512
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Families of victims are getting compensation? That's pretty crazy.

Did the Humboldt families get any federal compensation?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 10:18 AM   #513
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post

They got a significantly more from donations, but you do have a point. The government is kind of setting a standard. If a Canadian dies out of country due to an accident then the families should all receive $25000 from the government.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:35 AM   #514
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I assume the idea behind this compensation is that it's being provided as an advance on or in lieu of a settlement from Iran. If a victim of negligence's family can be effectively compensated through a traditional lawsuit, then similar aid is not required.

Last edited by SebC; 01-19-2020 at 10:38 AM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 11:44 AM   #515
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I assume the idea behind this compensation is that it's being provided as an advance on or in lieu of a settlement from Iran. If a victim of negligence's family can be effectively compensated through a traditional lawsuit, then similar aid is not required.
The government said any compensation from Iran would be going to the families and not to pay back the government.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 12:13 PM   #516
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:

How can you even remotely compare that to Humboldt. Once involves an international incident mired in politics, the other doesn't. One occurred far outside of the country which has large expense, one did not. One has no direct recourse for families, one does.

Another great whataboutism.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:16 PM   #517
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nope sorry you are not allowed to help anyone unless you help the homeless first,the vets first, the pensioners first, or at least that is what Facebook tells me.
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Potato Standing By For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 07:42 PM   #518
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Be a better person than this please.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 07:46 PM   #519
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Potato Standing By View Post
Nope sorry you are not allowed to help anyone unless you help the homeless first,the vets first, the pensioners first, or at least that is what Facebook tells me.
I have a couple of friends who post the one about pensioners and I detest it.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:48 PM   #520
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I have a couple of friends who post the one about pensioners and I detest it.
I dislike every time someone posts the Vet one.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote