Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Leagues and Games > Calgarypuck Hockey League
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2020, 05:22 AM   #1
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:
Default Who Ellis is gone?

Buffalo continues restructuring its roster with an eye to the future.

To Chicago
Ryan Ellis, Nazim Kadri, Trevor Daley and cheese

To Buffalo
Mike Matheson, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Jason Robertson, Shane Pinto and Josh Mahura

Obviously another deal to get younger in Buffalo. Chicago gets our best player this season in Ellis. He led the team in offense and defense. Kadri has been hurt for two months but should be ready to go in Chicago in a couple more weeks.

Thanks to Tilley for this deal.

Buffalo is now right up against the cheese cap so you won’t be hearing from us for awhile.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 09:09 AM   #2
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love this deal for Chicago...wow
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 11:12 AM   #3
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think it's good for Buffalo too... Pinto and Mahura are darn good prospects.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:21 PM   #4
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

First, thanks to SportsJunky for the civil trade negotiations.

From the Hawks' perspective, this is a trade that addresses the present and the future. For the present, the addition of Kadri and Ellis are potential core pieces. Kadri provides a decent 2nd line centre option and solidifies the top 6. Ellis immediately becomes the best dman on the team and will be relied on to provide offense from the back line. I don't think we are a legitimate threat for the title this year, but these additions will hopefully make us more competitive.

It definitely hurts to lose good prospects like Robertson, Mahura, and Pinto, but it was the price to pay to get good players. I don't have enough roster space for everyone next year and this trade allowed me to keep Chytil and my first two picks for the 2020 draft. Also, Kadri is on a good deal and hopefully becomes a value slot for next year.

The part that sealed the deal for me was the inclusion of Vlasic, who is expensive for a 68ov and signed for next year as well. From a cap perspective I am essentially trading Vlasic and Matheson for Ellis and Daley. Daley will be much cheaper to buy out if he doesn't retire next year or doesn't rerate well.

Overall, I think both teams got what they needed. I just hope I don't look back at this trade in a couple years and curse myself for losing multiple top 6 players and top 4 dmen.
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tilley For This Useful Post: