Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #141
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Powered through all of Jack Ryan's 2 seasons this weekend. It was great, up until about the end of episode 6. After that it really seemed to take a bad turn in quality and I really didn't care at all for the second season.

It's a good action escapist type of show if you're into it, but the writing could have been tighter.

So far I've watched The Boys (outstanding), American Gods (pretty good...bit disjointed and meandering), Good Omens (fun fantasy), and most of Man in the High Castle (good, but could go WAY deeper than just Sci Fi). Also re-watched Community.

Next up going to try The Tick, Fleabag, and Bosch.
Bosch is outstanding, I would start with that. Titus Welliver is awesome.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #142
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Bosch is great. Nothing particularly revolutionary about it, just a well done and well-acted police procedural. Has a bit of a Wire feel to it (especially with all the actor overlap).
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #143
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bosch, Mrs. Maisel and Sneaky Pete are all worth checking out.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:28 PM   #144
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Patriot is the best show on Prime.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 04:04 PM   #145
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Started to watch Treadway, but unwatchable as subtitles not working for me (seens in Korean, German, etc). Anyone else have issues? A quick search seems like it's a common thing with Prime. Was watching from Mac laptop through Chromecast. Never had a problem previously. Tried different shows and neither working with subtitles.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:40 PM   #146
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Started to watch Treadway, but unwatchable as subtitles not working for me (seens in Korean, German, etc). Anyone else have issues? A quick search seems like it's a common thing with Prime. Was watching from Mac laptop through Chromecast. Never had a problem previously. Tried different shows and neither working with subtitles.

I have that problem (with other shows, haven't watched Treadstone yet) when I watch on my Roku, but they work fine on my Samsung TV or a fire stick. So seems to be an issue with some of their apps.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 07:23 PM   #147
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Patriot is the best show on Prime.
It's absolutely outstanding! So freaking funny.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:14 PM   #148
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, had major problems on Apple TV. Sometimes subtitles came up when they were turned off, sometimes only when turned on in Auto, and sometimes when in English. Then sometimes not at all. Frustrating, especially when so much is not in English.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 09:14 PM   #149
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Seems like a really common problem with Prime (I have too) to which they direct you to your provider or streaming device. Here's a hint Amazon, if other streaming services don't have this issue than the problem likely lies with you.

EDIT: One fix the internet suggests is to attempt to switch closed captioning to English in the actual show menu that you're about to watch instead of the menu of your streaming device or cable provider.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 09:32 PM   #150
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I had this too, on my Apple TV, I just exited the app and came back in and the subs worked perfectly.

Have watched 4 episodes now and worked every time.

On the first episode I did switch to from Auto to English and that worked but then on Ep2 it ended up being full subs and Then accidentally discovered the other solution.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:46 PM   #151
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This only happened for the first few episodes for, granted I didn't test it thoroughly. By episode 4 I just turned off CC and the foreign languages were properly subtitled by that point.

As for the show? It's not "good", but it's better than Jack Ryan and there are a lot of quality aspects to it. The sheer number of fight scenes is actually hilarious. A few every episode.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:14 PM   #152
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Troop Zero is adorable if pretty much by-the-numbers.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:27 PM   #153
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a Top Gear fan I'm trying to watch James May in Japan but it's a little slow at times (pardon the pun...)
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:33 PM   #154
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Midsommar was one of the best films for me in 2019
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:27 AM   #155
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
As a Top Gear fan I'm trying to watch James May in Japan but it's a little slow at times (pardon the pun...)
I like the pedantic slowness of James May, but I will admit to falling asleep the other night mid-episode. But I also had a busy day and a glass of wine, so there's that. I'm still enjoying it though. Slow, awkward, dry, and maybe a little contrived.

And the less I see of Clarkson and even Hammond, the better. Unpopular opinion I know, but at least James May seems to realize that the old Top Gear / Grand Tour shtick is getting tiresome and is branching out a little, even if it is with his own brand of sctick. I can't even watch Grand Tour anymore.

And I realize that I'm dumping on Grand Tour and defending it with a show that I fell asleep to.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:43 PM   #156
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it's been brought up here before, but I've been using Prime a lot more now and Netflix less, but the Prime interface is just brutal. Doesn't sync with what I've watched (ID doesn't begin at the last episode, always begins at the 1st episode I started a series with). And each new episode of a series lags for about the 1st 30 seconds. Is this an overall issue with Prime?

Disney+ had some similar issues. I guess Netflix has the interface all figured out, but you'd think these newer services would at least start where Netflix had left off, not already way behind them in this regard.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:57 PM   #157
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Maybe it's been brought up here before, but I've been using Prime a lot more now and Netflix less, but the Prime interface is just brutal. Doesn't sync with what I've watched (ID doesn't begin at the last episode, always begins at the 1st episode I started a series with). And each new episode of a series lags for about the 1st 30 seconds. Is this an overall issue with Prime?

Disney+ had some similar issues. I guess Netflix has the interface all figured out, but you'd think these newer services would at least start where Netflix had left off, not already way behind them in this regard.
Do you add shows to the watch list? Helps with some of the issues. But yes it’s kind of clunky.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:17 AM   #158
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post

What are you using to watch it?

I have a fire stick and it goes to the next episode quickly for me
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #159
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Started watching Mr. Robot.
Really enjoying it. First episode hooked me and now I'm 3 episodes in. There's been some meh moments with the dialogue (specifically with the hacker gang) but pretty minor quibble. It has been excellent.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:34 AM   #160
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mr Robot is great. The second season is a bit uneven, but the final season wraps up nicely.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote