Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2022, 09:48 PM   #261
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Mangiapane - Kadri - Dube is going to be one of the best 2nd lines in the league this year
Credit is due when you had Rooney pushed up a line to the wing in the Friday Edmonton game.

That line looked great as well if Dube can just have better accuracy he's getting chances in the slot.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 09:59 PM   #262
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
They said it was Steinberg’s birthday…is badradio Pat Steinberg?
Wait, you don't know how old Steinberg is? Bet you don't even know his postal code.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:03 PM   #263
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Decent game for the good guys.

Eakin was Eakin. Steady, decent, nothing overly exciting.

Stone was good. Couple opps in his own zone, big bomb for the goal.

Milano should have played his last game on this PTO. He was probably the worst player on his line being outplayed by both Ritchie and Ruzicka.

Vets were good. I like that Dube/EatBread/Kadri line.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old-fart For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 10:13 PM   #264
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Eakin was poor too. A couple of bad penalties, couple of bad giveaways.

Nothing to me stands out that they should sign either of Eakin or Milano.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 10:14 PM   #265
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I definitely thought both PTOs had a real shot at making this team when they were initially signed but after seeing their performance throughout camp and with the signing of the new gigantic Czhecia player I think they're both out of luck most likely.
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:21 PM   #266
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1577148345629708288

Q: How did you evaluate the forward PTOs?

Sutter: "I think it's been challenging for both of them,"

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 10-03-2022 at 10:25 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 10:22 PM   #267
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sutter said both Eakin and Milano have had a tough time. Hopefully both are sent packing tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:23 PM   #268
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That was a really solid game for the Flames. Outside of a blip in the second period they controlled it pretty easily.

Rough night for the PTOs, both took penalties (Eakin took two). Milano was simply not good enough for a guy who doesn't have a contract. I really expected more razzle dazzle from the guy based on reputation, but I don't think he won an offensive 1 on 1 all game. Even when kept the puck he wasn't gaining any territory or passing it to open players.

Eakin was pretty good in the first period I thought, but he made a bunch of poor plays as the game went on and when he got a great chance in the slot he put a pretty disappointing effort on goal.

I was even pulling for Mackey to get that spot, but it's going to be tough to turn away Stone. Leading the team in points as a PTO D man and holding his own defensively is pretty impressive.

Rooney had his strongest game of the preseason and that line was really effective. Thought he struggled with the puck in the first but then he set up a goal and made some strong plays as the game went on. I'm curious to see if he gets a spot on the PK. He was a mixed bag on the PK tonight as he made a great play to pin the puck in the offensive zone and got a good chance with Backlund, but he also allowed the cross ice pass to go through on the goal against. I know he played on the PK in NYR, so he's definitely an option, but I wonder if he will take icetime away from Backlund, Coleman, Lindholm, Lewis, Mangiapane, or Dube?

Ruzicka is kind of sad to watch. He's working, but he doesn't enter into the battles with intensity and it seems like he is on the losing end of most of them. He has a size advantage but loses out to smaller players who are giving more. It was really too bad that his nice tip went crossbar and out. That might have been a turning point for him. In my book he hasn't done enough to make the team.

Mackey had one of his weaker games of the preseason. He wasn't bad, but I thought he made more mistakes tonight than in other games. A positive is that he almost never gets beat on plays when he is defending, his mistakes tended to be when he had the puck tonight.

That was a very promising game. The Flames still had a handful of top players out and they looked a lot better than the Kraken.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 10:25 PM   #269
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coach

Edit: beat by Reggie, but I'll leave the youtube link here as well.

Highlights:

Post game:

Last edited by gvitaly; 10-03-2022 at 10:31 PM.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 06:04 AM   #270
OminousFlames
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
4-1 for my 41st bday! Pretty cool!
Better you than me then, otherwise the score would have been 4-3.
OminousFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OminousFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 07:53 AM   #271
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Guy asks about Rooney on the wing and Darryl shrugs and says he’s played wing before.

They need to adjust the mic for Darryl!
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:06 AM   #272
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

My opinion. The PTOs should be noticeably better than the farm team players to make the team. They probably aren’t going to get better. The young guys will.

Stone seems to have done this. I think he should be in the starting 6. He looked great at the end of the season.

The other 2 are questionable. I bet Eakin has a better shot than Milano.

Last edited by Goriders; 10-04-2022 at 08:09 AM.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:23 AM   #273
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was at the game and kept a close eye on the new guys.
Eakin- started off great (as did the whole team). I know some are worried about the 4th line, but honestly some combination of Lewis/Lucic/Ruziska/Eakin/Ritchie should be fine at causing havoc and bringing some energy. Not sure Eakin did enough (especially with the Pittsburgh guy coming in), but I wouldn't hate it if he was signed.
Milano - struggled mightily. He will be lucky if he signs a two-way somewhere. Shouldn't be here.
Rooney - Tale of 2 games. I thought he was awful in the first half. Plays died on his stick, and even worse, coughed up the puck numerous times in our own zone. Redeemed himself in the second half with stronger play and a good forecheck. Backlund and Coleman were excellent which helps, although still shaking off some rust, it seems to me.
Weegar - Basically what Hanafin should be/could be. Very smooth, quietly breaks up plays and moves the puck. Made a couple of gaffs but made up for it.
Kadri - Really impressed with his skill. Faster than I thought he was and is a top line guy we can slot on the second line. Definitely falls into the category of "hate him, but would love him on my team". Tkachuk-like, in that respect.

I think it will take a while for the team to gel, but honestly, the Huberdeau/Gaudreau Kadri/Tkachuk trade off is pretty close to a wash. Add in Weegar, and the Flames absolutely could be better than last year.

(Disclaimer: Mostly based on an inconsequential pre-season game against a ####ty opponent. I was just excited to be back in the Dome.)
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 09:28 AM   #274
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Eakin- started off great (as did the whole team). I know some are worried about the 4th line, but honestly some combination of Lewis/Lucic/Ruziska/Eakin/Ritchie should be fine at causing havoc and bringing some energy. Not sure Eakin did enough (especially with the Pittsburgh guy coming in), but I wouldn't hate it if he was signed.
Milano - struggled mightily. He will be lucky if he signs a two-way somewhere. Shouldn't be here.
Rooney - Tale of 2 games. I thought he was awful in the first half. Plays died on his stick, and even worse, coughed up the puck numerous times in our own zone. Redeemed himself in the second half with stronger play and a good forecheck. Backlund and Coleman were excellent which helps, although still shaking off some rust, it seems to me.
Weegar - Basically what Hanafin should be/could be. Very smooth, quietly breaks up plays and moves the puck. Made a couple of gaffs but made up for it.
Kadri - Really impressed with his skill. Faster than I thought he was and is a top line guy we can slot on the second line. Definitely falls into the category of "hate him, but would love him on my team". Tkachuk-like, in that respect.

I think it will take a while for the team to gel, but honestly, the Huberdeau/Gaudreau Kadri/Tkachuk trade off is pretty close to a wash. Add in Weegar, and the Flames absolutely could be better than last year.

(Disclaimer: Mostly based on an inconsequential pre-season game against a ####ty opponent. I was just excited to be back in the Dome.)
Darryl said he needs to get up to game condition lol.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:30 AM   #275
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I'm probably reading way too much into what Sutter said last night but if I had to guess...

Eakin & Milano will be cut

Stone will be offered an AHL deal

The opening roster will consist of

Hubereau-Lindholm-Toffoli
Dube-Kadri-Mangiapane
Rooney/Zohorna/Ruzicka-Backlund-Coleman
Lucic-Rooney/Zohorna/Ruzicka-Ritchie/Lewis

Hanifin-Andersson
Zadorov-Weegar
Mackey-Tanev/Meloche

Markstrom-Vladar
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:32 AM   #276
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I heard that as well. Maybe Kadri didn't bring it every single shift (maybe), but his talent was really something. If he can get better? Look out.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:33 AM   #277
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I'm probably reading way too much into what Sutter said last night but if I had to guess...

Eakin & Milano will be cut

Stone will be offered an AHL deal

The opening roster will consist of

Hubereau-Lindholm-Toffoli
Dube-Kadri-Mangiapane
Rooney/Zohorna/Ruzicka-Backlund-Coleman
Lucic-Rooney/Zohorna/Ruzicka-Ritchie/Lewis

Hanifin-Andersson
Zadorov-Weegar
Mackey-Tanev/Meloche

Markstrom-Vladar
Sutter was specifically asked about Forward PTO's no?

I think Stone gets (and deserves) an NHL deal.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:34 AM   #278
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Sutter was specifically asked about Forward PTO's no?

I think Stone gets an NHL deal.
He was, but when asked about Stone he made an odd comment about how Stone's game needs to evolve and its not just about scoring goals.

Stone's game isn't going to evolve. He is what he is.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 09:35 AM   #279
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Okay?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:35 AM   #280
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post

That gets me excited about weegar.

Maybe the final D pairings shake out as
Weegar-Andersson
Kylington-Tanev
Zadorov-Hanifin

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game thread , offence from the defence , takoyaki