Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2023, 09:16 AM   #8741
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm not aware of the NDP being in favour of any new O+G infrastructure ever existing ever, but maybe I've missed something.
Wasn't Notley a huge supporter of pipelines and I thought she leased several thousand rail cars to transport oil as well. I was left with the impression she was very supportive of doing whatever it takes to get Alberta O&G to market.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 09:19 AM   #8742
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, I was talking about the federal NDP. Obviously every Alberta politician is going to be in favour of the industry, "keep that #### in the ground" isn't going to work here, but at the federal level that does seem to be the mantra.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 09:24 AM   #8743
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ah, I was talking about the federal NDP. Obviously every Alberta politician is going to be in favour of the industry, "keep that #### in the ground" isn't going to work here, but at the federal level that does seem to be the mantra.
I don't believe the Federal NDP have meaningful influence over the ANPD policy. There is some influence, from what I understand from the ANDP constitution it mostly relates to branding, otherwise any FNDP politician can only vote at the NDP conference if they live in AB or something like that. However, we can trust that some closed door conversations happen.

Nevertheless, If Notley wants power, she knows the only path to it is endorsing Oil and Gas.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:34 AM   #8744
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you've misunderstood me - I was responding to Sliver's characterization of where the mainstream left stands on resource development and suggesting that it's more anti-O+G than he seems to believe, especially when it comes to building new infrastructure.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 11:02 AM   #8745
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you've misunderstood me - I was responding to Sliver's characterization of where the mainstream left stands on resource development and suggesting that it's more anti-O+G than he seems to believe, especially when it comes to building new infrastructure.
I agree with you on federal NDP, mainstream left in Canada is the Liberal party and is relatively fine with using O&G for now.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 11:06 AM   #8746
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly don't know what qualifies anymore. The Federal Liberal party are basically weather vanes and don't really have any leftist principles, other than the constant identity politics thing they do which doesn't seem so much principled as a it does a convenient way to dupe people into the notion that they're the good guys and the CPC are evil bigots. Which, to be fair, the CPC helps out with a lot of the time... I guess I'm saying that I would be surprised if someone who unabashedly counts themselves among the Canadian left wing would consider the LPC a good representation of their political ideology.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 10:08 AM   #8747
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty sure it was the federal NDP who advocated for building refineries with the capacity to refine oil sands oil during either the last election or the one prior.

Argue whether that's wise or not, but saying they're completely against new O&G infrastructure isn't totally accurate.

Quote:
I guess I'm saying that I would be surprised if someone who unabashedly counts themselves among the Canadian left wing would consider the LPC a good representation of their political ideology.
Yeah, I basically consider the Liberals as slightly centre-left on a good day. They're hardly the party of the working class.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:17 AM   #8748
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I agree with you on federal NDP, mainstream left in Canada is the Liberal party and is relatively fine with using O&G for now.
Maybe those who are left leaning in the prairies. I would call myself pretty far left on most things, but am a realist about our O&G industry/resources. I think the only the reason I'm like that is coming from AB. Most people I discuss that topic with that aren't from those areas just have a really, really poor understanding of the industry overall and what is needed to transition away from it. There's a lot of "we just have to stop" without much thought about exactly how.
Old 01-17-2023, 06:35 PM   #8749
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

You can't make this stuff up.

Quote:
Two Republican lawmakers who were previously expelled from House committees over their extremist or violent remarks have been given committee assignments again, days after House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) won the gavel.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) will be seated on the Homeland Security Committee and Rep. Paul A. Gosar (R-Ariz.) will be seated on the House Natural Resources Committee, according to two people familiar with the assignments who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the decisions.

Greene and Gosar, along with Reps. Scott Perry (R-Pa.) and Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) — four of former president Donald Trump’s staunchest and most controversial allies in the House — will be seated on the House Oversight and Accountability Committee. That panel’s chairman, Rep. James Comer (R-Ky.), has made investigating President Biden and his family a top priority, with implications for a possible rematch between Biden and Trump in 2024.

“Joe Biden, be prepared,” Greene said in a statement. “We are going to uncover every corrupt business dealing, every foreign entanglement, every abuse of power.” Boebert said she was looking forward to joining the panel as it launches several investigations, including a probe of “the Biden family’s shady business schemes.” And Perry said on Twitter that he was “honored” to be on the committee.

The four lawmakers voted against certifying Biden’s 2020 presidential win after a pro-Trump mob stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...-greene-gosar/
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 06:38 PM   #8750
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Very serious party.

Quote:
The House GOP Steering Committee on Tuesday recommended that embattled Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.) sit on the House Small Business Committee and House Science, Space and Technology Committee, according to sources familiar with the assignments.

Santos’s assignment to the panels comes after multiple members of his own party have called on him to resign over his admitted fabrications about his work history and education, questions about his campaign finances, misleading claims of Jewish heritage and reported charges in Brazil related to checkbook fraud (which Santos has denied), among other issues.

The recommendation from the House GOP Steering Committee, a panel of around 30 members of House leadership and elected regional representatives, will have to be approved by the full House Republican Conference. The conference typically approves the steering panel’s recommendation.
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3...e-assignments/
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 07:02 PM   #8751
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
lol.. https://www.thedailybeast.com/george...me-report-says
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 06:56 AM   #8752
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Very serious party.
I hear the adults are back in control.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 07:52 AM   #8753
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
That's even an upgrade from PIMking's shameless gifting. What an awful, horrible, evil person. Which I guess is why the GOP is standing behind him. One of us! One of us!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 07:56 AM   #8754
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Wait, weren't Republicans the ones who were supposed to be pro-veterans and pro-dog?
Old 01-18-2023, 11:11 AM   #8755
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just found a reason for Sliver to like Santos.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 02:54 PM   #8756
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1615808517176234020
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 03:00 PM   #8757
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eventually it will be determined that George Santos/ Anthony/ Kitara/ whatever didn't actually ever exist, all photos have been AI generated and supported by bots.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 03:11 PM   #8758
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Pretty sure it was the federal NDP who advocated for building refineries with the capacity to refine oil sands oil during either the last election or the one prior.

Argue whether that's wise or not, but saying they're completely against new O&G infrastructure isn't totally accurate.

Yeah, I basically consider the Liberals as slightly centre-left on a good day. They're hardly the party of the working class.
The federal NDP policy regarding fossil fuels is ending all subsidies for fossil fuel discovery, development, extraction, & production. They do not oppose new infrastructure, however they do oppose federal subsidies for that infrastructure.

I kinda feel similarly about this as I do about the new Flames arena: if you need public money to make your private project work, you shouldn’t get to take profits until that public money is paid back.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 03:36 PM   #8759
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank goodness someone at the drag show had a potato handy to take that photo with.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2023, 11:41 AM   #8760
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

US has hit emergency measures to keep paying their bills as the debt ceiling has been hit. They say until June to August until they start not being able to pay things.

The MAGA caucus won't want to raise that, at least not without some kind of spending cuts.

One would think it'd be easy to get a clean increase through with just Dem and a few R votes, but McCarthy has the sword of Damocles hanging over his head.

Should be interesting.

Also saw that someone examined Republican hotel stays at the Old Post Office in DC, used to be a Trump hotel but he sold it and it just reopened in June.

In the 2018 midterms Republicans spent $867K from June to Nov. In 2022 they spent $2000.

Just a coincidence I'm sure.