Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2024, 05:51 PM   #241
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, it was an overconfident trade by Masai. Kinda shows you the egos involved with execs. I bet most fans here would not have doubled down on a bad team by doing that trade, yet you have an executive who thought it was work that high of a risk. Now that you say it's protected for 6 years, frankly I just want to rip the bandaid off to get it done this year. I'd even go so far to say, the Raps should deal a 2nd ensure even if they do drop, that San Antonio takes the pick now. With our luck somehow they get #1. Anyway, some positives from this season was the Quickly emergence, as well as the Barnes resurgence. Aside from that, not much else positive. I really hope they keep the coach. He's a work in progress but the players seem to respect him. They just have little talent to work with. Only hope they have is to hit a home run with a pick or a signing. This is a terrible team.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 05:52 PM   #242
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also predicted 34 wins. 25 wins is way below expectations. Yikes.
Old 04-14-2024, 05:54 PM   #243
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Yeah, it was an overconfident trade by Masai. Kinda shows you the egos involved with execs. I bet most fans here would not have doubled down on a bad team by doing that trade, yet you have an executive who thought it was work that high of a risk. Now that you say it's protected for 6 years, frankly I just want to rip the bandaid off to get it done this year. I'd even go so far to say, the Raps should deal a 2nd ensure even if they do drop, that San Antonio takes the pick now. With our luck somehow they get #1. Anyway, some positives from this season was the Quickly emergence, as well as the Barnes resurgence. Aside from that, not much else positive. I really hope they keep the coach. He's a work in progress but the players seem to respect him. They just have little talent to work with. Only hope they have is to hit a home run with a pick or a signing. This is a terrible team.
But if they are terrible (I agree) why hope they lose the pick ? They can finish bottom 6 each of the next 3 years and not owe any first rounder easily
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 06:26 PM   #244
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

This team isn’t really terrible though. We had tons of injuries to key players and still were only the 6th worst team. If we are healthy next season it is very unlikely to be in the bottom 6.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 06:31 PM   #245
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
This team isn’t really terrible though. We had tons of injuries to key players and still were only the 6th worst team. If we are healthy next season it is very unlikely to be in the bottom 6.
Ok well if we are good next year the pick won’t be good !

So another reason we don’t want to give up this years !
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 11:55 PM   #246
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the coach as well. I think they should keep him. He wasn't the problem this year. Trading for Poetl was poor asset management, but considering how poorly run many teams are run league wide the Raptors could do a whole lot worse. Sadly being the one team in Canada makes them a non-starter to many star players. I think having Masai aboard at least makes them attractive to some players... Compare 2024 to the Rob Babcock and Bryan Colangelo years, they could do a whole lot worse imo.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 01:25 AM   #247
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barrett’s play and Dick’s development in the second half of the season were also positives for me. Insane that some people thought Barrett was a cap dump or had negative value, he fits much better in this system.

Coach Darko also did a great job with the training plan he had for Dick from January onward. His strength has always been developing young players. Hopefully each core member of this team takes similar steps this summer.

I hope the lottery results don’t bounce the Raptors from the top 6 in the draft and they keep their pick this year… it’s not a great draft but I trust Masai and company to find a player there, like when they picked Barnes over Suggs. I don’t see this team being quite as bad next year.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 01:47 AM   #248
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta figure Denver is the odds on favourite to repeat again. I just can't see anyone being able to beat them four times in one round, not with home court advantage (except against OKC and Boston). Boston should easily come out of the East, no other team has been consistently competitive all year long.

Boston/Denver finals, with the Nuggets repeating. Although I would love for Gilgeous-Alexander to bring the Championship back to Canada, especially before representing us in Paris.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 07:20 AM   #249
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
But if they are terrible (I agree) why hope they lose the pick ? They can finish bottom 6 each of the next 3 years and not owe any first rounder easily
The rationale is simple. The odds are they won’t forever be a bottom six team in a bad draft year forever. So say next year is a good draft class and they are seventh worst. They lose a good pick in a good year. That’s terrible. I’d just like the bandaid ripped off this year as it’s a good year to experience it.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:08 AM   #250
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I think I’m hoping we either get lucky and get a top 2 pick, or have it drop to 8 and give it up.

This FO doesn’t tank, and they’ll likely try to add a decent player to the roster in the off season and try and get back in the playoff picture.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:30 AM   #251
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I think I’m hoping we either get lucky and get a top 2 pick, or have it drop to 8 and give it up.

This FO doesn’t tank, and they’ll likely try to add a decent player to the roster in the off season and try and get back in the playoff picture.
I’m a little concerned about them not tanking. It’s super important to do. Especially since they’re so close to there right now. Signing one guy is unlikely to make a substantial difference. We had Siakam and Anunoby. It didn’t work. Gotta get that legit star through the draft. The tough part is potentially pissing off Barnes in the process. That truly my only concern.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:18 AM   #252
flamingreen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I’m a little concerned about them not tanking. It’s super important to do. Especially since they’re so close to there right now. Signing one guy is unlikely to make a substantial difference. We had Siakam and Anunoby. It didn’t work. Gotta get that legit star through the draft. The tough part is potentially pissing off Barnes in the process. That truly my only concern.
With the core they have now, I just don't think they can tank hard enough compared to those other 5 teams below them. They were playing a roster of G-leaguers and 10 day contract dudes and couldn't fall below these other teams. They are closer to the play-in then they are a top 5 pick.

They have 3 picks (if they retain their 1st round pick) in the top 31 this year in the draft. Hope you get a gem and then build out with your cap space.
flamingreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingreen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 10:26 AM   #253
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingreen View Post
With the core they have now, I just don't think they can tank hard enough compared to those other 5 teams below them. They were playing a roster of G-leaguers and 10 day contract dudes and couldn't fall below these other teams. They are closer to the play-in then they are a top 5 pick.

They have 3 picks (if they retain their 1st round pick) in the top 31 this year in the draft. Hope you get a gem and then build out with your cap space.
Agreed. Tanking would take a huge commitment and this FO has never shown any desire to do that.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:44 AM   #254
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It’s a huge hope they win a lottery to get a great player in a shallow draft year. So the three firsts sounds good and all, but it’s a question of if the sixth overall will be any good. Let alone further down the draft for the other two picks. So realistically I don’t see how they do it without tanking for a year. One player signing isn’t solving anything. So I just don’t see a meaningful move to help them get there just yet, without being in the fuzzy middle for the foreseeable future.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:07 AM   #255
flamingreen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It’s a huge hope they win a lottery to get a great player in a shallow draft year. So the three firsts sounds good and all, but it’s a question of if the sixth overall will be any good. Let alone further down the draft for the other two picks. So realistically I don’t see how they do it without tanking for a year. One player signing isn’t solving anything. So I just don’t see a meaningful move to help them get there just yet, without being in the fuzzy middle for the foreseeable future.
It's definitely a roll of the dice that they find a player with their picks this year but at least they have (potentially) 3 cracks at it.

If they are tanking next year, it means Barnes, Barrett, Quickley, Poeltl aren't playing. I can't see that happening. Unfortunately, they will be in the murky middle - hope they build up more experience (with a play-in) and grab a few UFAs that complement their core.
flamingreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 11:29 AM   #256
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's definitely a roll of the dice that they find a player with their picks this year but at least they have (potentially) 3 cracks at it.

If they are tanking next year, it means Barnes, Barrett, Quickley, Poeltl aren't playing. I can't see that happening. Unfortunately, they will be in the murky middle - hope they build up more experience (with a play-in) and grab a few UFAs that complement their core.
I dunno. To me Quickley and Barnes are the core. The rest are replaceable, though I doubt they move them. So the question becomes who do they bring in to score? I still think Dick and Barrett come off the bench but given greater minutes to make a name for themselves, is best. Would be nice to get Maxey. Then perhaps DeRozan to finish his career with his aggression. But I just don’t see either scenario playing out. More high end young guys are needed than Barnes and Quickley.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:25 AM   #257
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it'll be interesting to see what will happen when an actual star is involved and not a scrub like in this case.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1780631464163561788
Old 04-17-2024, 10:27 AM   #258
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

What an idiot. Really liked what I saw from him when he played, probably would’ve had a spot in the rotation next year.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 12:25 PM   #259
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
So it'll be interesting to see what will happen when an actual star is involved and not a scrub like in this case.
Something ridiculous like this:
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 01:39 PM   #260
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brought to you by Draft Kings.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post: