Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #1961
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Anyone else thinking that getting the SW portion completed and having traffic flowing within 7 years is probably a recipe for disaster in that agreement?
The clock starts once the land transfer is done, it really is a lot of time. Unlike the SE, it will be absolutely in the best interest of the province to have traffic availability for the SW by the deadline even if it's a dirt road, because after we spent decades and millions to acquire the land I doubt they want to give it back.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #1962
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Up till rush hour last night they were paving 22X. I don't see tomorrow being possible.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #1963
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
The clock starts once the land transfer is done, it really is a lot of time. Unlike the SE, it will be absolutely in the best interest of the province to have traffic availability for the SW by the deadline even if it's a dirt road, because after we spent decades and millions to acquire the land I doubt they want to give it back.
Well I'm joking...kind of. I have to think they would make sure that the road is open and flowing way before the deadline, but watching missed deadline after missed deadline does give some cause for concern.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #1964
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Up till rush hour last night they were paving 22X. I don't see tomorrow being possible.
I know they've got a whole lot of topsoil placing done around Peigan/17th in the last few days. The rush to get it done might indicate something.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #1965
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Anyone else thinking that getting the SW portion completed and having traffic flowing within 7 years is probably a recipe for disaster in that agreement?
I don't think so. Just because 1 of the 5 P3 ring road projects in this province are behind schedule doesn't mean that all future ones will suffer the same fate. I'm trying to think of another P3 road project in Western Canada that finished late and I can't think of one. (Maybe the new Okanagan Lake bridge? I think it was close either way.)
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #1966
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I gotta say, what a clusterf*** that 22x/mcleod bridge is. I haven't been taking it lately, but today I decided to use it to get home around 430. First, it took about 10 minutes just to get on the bridge from NB McLeod. Then it took another few minutes to get up to the light for the SB McLeod to EB 22x. Holy crap, I sat there for about 10 minutes while the flaggers were letting the 22x EB traffic flow, and the McLeod SB to 22x WB traffic flow. Meanwhile, the 22x WB over the bridge folk (me) were stopped, and the SB McLeod to EB were stopped, because a steamroller was going baaaaaack and forth, baaaaaack and forth, right in front of the SB to EB cars. Eventually, they let us WB cars go, but the SB to EB cars were still watching the steamroller.

Seriuosly, this went on for at least 10 minutes, right in rush hour. The line up of SB cars was all the way out of sight. I want this job done as much as anyone, but I think that running a steamroller in front of rush hour traffic, and stopping it indefinitely, is pretty stupid.

Oh, and a big F.U. to the gravel truck driver staying back about 10 car lengths so that he didn't have to stop. Thanks for screwing so many people out of extremely limited green lights. Because of him, me and probably 10 more vehicles got stuck watching the steamroller. Total dink, and he knows it. Professional drivers know these things. Must have been Pinner driving that truck. Just being an a-hole for no reason.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #1967
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

And forgot to add, while I was waiting to get on to WB 22x from NB McLeod, looking to the right, I could see that the WB traffic was allllll the way back to Chap blvd. I can only imagine how far back it got after watching the steamroller for 10 minutes.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #1968
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is today's article in the Herald re: 61 Ave a shout-out to CP? Unlikely, but it does raise some good points that a lot of people probably aren't aware of in regards to the truck jam in this area.

Quote:
When the southeast ring road finally opens after its construction delays, it will boast nine major interchanges and a special flyover that will, for several months, lead to nowhere.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/Trucker...028/story.html
Old 11-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #1969
Bindair Dundat
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Here in "Capital City" we've got (probably) the best equipped contractor (Flatiron) dealing with the most expensive of all road construction projects in the Province's history...the reconstruction of the 216 (east) by-pass (built in the '70's) . It is inconvenient, but the way they are managing the maintenance of existing traffic flow during this, is nothing short of amazing. Added into the mix is the fact that they are concurrently stringing power lines for a new 600KV transmission line to feed the new upgraders around Fort Saskatchewan. Amazing things being done by these people. It's almost always two lanes moving at 80-90 kmh. I feel your pain. Can't wait for the "ring" up here to be closed. Huge, huge, project. 18 overpasses/flyovers plus a four lane (each direction) crossing of the North Saskatchewan...

Best of luck with the "tribe" down there on the SW leg of Stony.

They'll get it done...but at what cost?
Bindair Dundat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bindair Dundat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #1970
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Folks running the NE Henday website are also doing an infinitely better job at providing updates regarding lane closures and moving equipment. Here for SE Stoney, at a time when they're causing the most disruption, they are posting zero updates. Brutal. I'm looking at you Miss Lindsey Bethke, they should fire your lazy ass.

All we can do is pray every night that Flatiron wins the SW, I guess?
Old 11-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #1971
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
And forgot to add, while I was waiting to get on to WB 22x from NB McLeod, looking to the right, I could see that the WB traffic was allllll the way back to Chap blvd. I can only imagine how far back it got after watching the steamroller for 10 minutes.
And an hour later it was worse. I couldn't see the end of it. I took the same road as you over the bridge, 20 minutes to drive 200 meters.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #1972
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
And an hour later it was worse. I couldn't see the end of it. I took the same road as you over the bridge, 20 minutes to drive 200 meters.
2 days ago WB 22x was back up from Macleod to the the Cranston overpass at about 5PM. It is to the point where I am going to keep going south and take deerfoot to Macleod and come home that way...
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #1973
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Not surprisingly, it wasn't open this morning.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #1974
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Bob, you can cut over to McLeod at dunbow rd. And if you live in Silverado, there's a back way at 210th, by spruce it up garden center.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #1975
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Bob, you can cut over to McLeod at dunbow rd. And if you live in Silverado, there's a back way at 210th, by spruce it up garden center.
Dunbow road has a low speed limit though. Even though it is more driving to go further south I think it is quicker.

I am in Chaparral but I use the back was into Silverado to go grocery shopping quite frequently.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #1976
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

There isn't an exit from Deerfoot southbound to McLeod NB though.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #1977
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I'm pretty sure Dunbow is 80.

YNAT- You can take the Okotoks exit to turn around. That extra distance is the tipping point to where I take Dunbow when I go to Spruce It Up.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #1978
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just heard South bound Stoney just opened. .North bound should be open by 2:00
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #1979
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
I just heard South bound Stoney just opened. .North bound should be open by 2:00
Where did you hear this?
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #1980
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where are you hearing this?
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote