Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2020, 11:52 AM   #3321
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disappointed the west RR is delayed as that is quite literally the only section that benefits me daily for my commute. Two more years of construction zones - yay.

On the positive side they also signed the contract for the south portion of the WRR project so at least that is going ahead in it's original form. I was worried it might become a casualty of provincial finances.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7113818/c...ment-contract/
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #3322
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

As mentioned above if it weren't for that clause related to the 7 year agreement with the Tsuut'ina there is absolutely no way that portion would be done on time.

When that agreement was signed it seemed a bit half-baked but now it's really coming in handy as it means the clock is ticking
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:31 PM   #3323
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

So what will be completed by October of this year? Can I get from 22x to highway 8 / Glenmore this year?

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:38 PM   #3324
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
As mentioned above if it weren't for that clause related to the 7 year agreement with the Tsuut'ina there is absolutely no way that portion would be done on time.

When that agreement was signed it seemed a bit half-baked but now it's really coming in handy as it means the clock is ticking
So true - I don't recall when the clock expires, but we also did kind of come close to a global pandemic potentially de-railing the whole thing. Not sure if they got a force majeure clause in there? One would certainly hope so considering the flood plain is probably the diciest part of the whole thing...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:39 PM   #3325
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrell View Post
So what will be completed by October of this year? Can I get from 22x to highway 8 / Glenmore this year?
Nope.

Between Glenmore Trail and 146 Avenue S.W.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:41 PM   #3326
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The amount of time it takes some of these projects is baffling. There hasn’t been a month in the last 3 years when the section of 14th street between the Rockyview and Southland Drive hasn’t been torn up and lanes closed.
How about the cluster#### that's been Crowchild Trail bridge over the Bow River? It was suppose to be down by last summer. Still not complete.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 01:43 PM   #3327
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The new section of the Bow River pathway is now open, it says in the release, and work continues on the Trans-Canada Highway and Valley Ridge Boulevard N.W. interchange.
Anybody know what this refers to? The googles do nothing.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:51 PM   #3328
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Anybody know what this refers to? The googles do nothing.
This, possibly? (This is the path up the hill to Valley Ridge from the Westernmost edge of Bowness Park.)

https://westringroad.ca/wp-content/u...ays_June-1.pdf
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 02:19 PM   #3329
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
How about the cluster#### that's been Crowchild Trail bridge over the Bow River? It was suppose to be down by last summer. Still not complete.
From the most recent progress report:

Quote:
Work continuing into 2020
While our team finishes up the structural work over the river, The City has re-prioritized the lifecycle rehabilitation of three additional bridges in the area and elected to complete these projects simultaneously. By coordinating the work of multiple City departments, we can limit repeated disruptions and maximize efficiencies. That said, all components of the Crowchild Trail Upgrades Project (listed above), as well as the added rehabilitation work on the following three bridges, will be
complete by the end of summer 2020:
• Southbound Crowchild Trail bridge (over Bow Trail)
• Westbound Bow Trail ramp to southbound Crowchild Trail (over Bow Trail)
• Westbound Memorial Drive Bridge (over Crowchild Trail)
https://www.calgary.ca/content/dam/w...ec-10-2019.pdf

So it looks like they add additional work to avoid extended construction later.

Project page:
https://www.calgary.ca/transportatio...l-upgrade.html
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 02:27 PM   #3330
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
From the most recent progress report:

https://www.calgary.ca/content/dam/w...ec-10-2019.pdf

So it looks like they add additional work to avoid extended construction later.

Project page:
https://www.calgary.ca/transportatio...l-upgrade.html
Ah, that makes sense on why it's taken longer than originally advertised.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:15 PM   #3331
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrell View Post
October 2021 for that.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:22 PM   #3332
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The amount of time it takes some of these projects is baffling. There hasn’t been a month in the last 3 years when the section of 14th street between the Rockyview and Southland Drive hasn’t been torn up and lanes closed.

It has been a lot longer than that, at lease 7 or 8 years ago that they started digging and doing things at 90 Ave and 14 St
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #3333
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
14th Street SW is effectively the SW portion of the Transportation Utility Corridor. There is a lot of stuff in the ground between Southland and Glenmore all owned by different companies.

To expect that the maintenance cycles for all that infrastructure be on the same schedule is unreasonable.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #3334
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
14th Street SW is effectively the SW portion of the Transportation Utility Corridor. There is a lot of stuff in the ground between Southland and Glenmore all owned by different companies.

To expect that the maintenance cycles for all that infrastructure be on the same schedule is unreasonable.
I guess that's reasonable enough. The thing is this current project was "completed" last fall and we still have lane closures and construction ongoing. My personal favourite is when they close the left hand lane for a bit, and then the right hand lane a little further on. It really does wonders for traffic flow.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 01:43 PM   #3335
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the speed limit going to permanently remain 60 on 14th Street now? Seems like they are reluctant to bump it back to 70 even in areas they are finished. At least if the ring road opens this fall I'll be able to use that instead so it won't matter to me much anymore.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:31 PM   #3336
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Is the speed limit going to permanently remain 60 on 14th Street now? Seems like they are reluctant to bump it back to 70 even in areas they are finished. At least if the ring road opens this fall I'll be able to use that instead so it won't matter to me much anymore.
I wouldn't go more than 50 until they fix the god-awful, pothole and crack filled pavement between Glenmore and 90th (in both directions).
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:00 AM   #3337
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
What the hell takes so long? Jesus work evenings and weekends and get the thing finished already. In today’s economy the government would not even have to pay overtime wages for construction at night and on weekends.
They are on it every day of the week, early morning to late evening. I'm also not happy I'm enduring it for another few years. I'll be happy once the blasting stops though
Old 08-18-2020, 11:11 AM   #3338
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still should be on track for everything to open down to Fish Creek Blvd by October 1. It's already open between Fish Creek Blvd and Anderson.

The "Nov 22" in the thread title is from 2013 when the SE opened, which is hilarious that it's still there.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:53 AM   #3339
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Still should be on track for everything to open down to Fish Creek Blvd by October 1. It's already open between Fish Creek Blvd and Anderson.

The "Nov 22" in the thread title is from 2013 when the SE opened, which is hilarious that it's still there.
up to where? 69th st?
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #3340
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
up to where? 69th st?
The Glenmore part doesn't really matter but no the 69 St/Discovery Ridge interchange will not be done, it's part of Part 2 which will be Fish Creek Blvd down to 22X and the rebuilding of 22X over to Macleod, and the new 22X/Macleod complex.