Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #2921
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
McDonalds was never opened in Lakeview. So she must have been successful.
That's too bad. When I use Lakeview as a U-Turn route when the Crowchild to Glenmore overpass is backed up it would be great to get some fast food.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pepper24 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 08:32 AM   #2922
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Have they started on construction of the west ring road?

There's a bunch of construction going on just south of Highway 1, going up the hill.

And no, I don't mean the climbing centre, these vehicles are literally halfway up the hill going south. It looks like they're setting up the path for the ring road.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:35 AM   #2923
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post

There's a bunch of construction going on just south of Highway 1, going up the hill.

And no, I don't mean the climbing centre, these vehicles are literally halfway up the hill going south. It looks like they're setting up the path for the ring road.
Pipeline replacement.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #2924
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Pipeline replacement.
Boo. I was hoping for ring road.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #2925
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya...gonna be awhile for that leg.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #2926
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm not sure it was wise of the City to lower the speed limit on Glenmore from 37th to Sarcee to 60 before any construction starts.

Having driven through it a few times now, it's just going to encourage people to ignore the signs. Which sets a bad precedent when construction actually does start.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #2927
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
I'm not sure it was wise of the City to lower the speed limit on Glenmore from 37th to Sarcee to 60 before any construction starts.

Having driven through it a few times now, it's just going to encourage people to ignore the signs. Which sets a bad precedent when construction actually does start.
All construction in Alberta is done in a way that encourages people to ignore the "slow down" signs and lower limits. Its brutal.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
V
Old 08-24-2017, 09:50 AM   #2928
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post

Based on the updates, it appears they are heavy into the pile driving for the bridge structures at the moment.

Based on the look of the work at Macleod and Deerfoot, I don't imagine they are too far away from raising the beams for the second bridge.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #2929
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's not where he is asking about though. This is the project on the hill:

http://www.atcopipelines.com/upr/Pro...Y_Brochure.pdf
Old 08-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #2930
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

He asked if they had started construction on SWRR, that is what I answered. He further asked about a specific area and if that was related, which you guys answered.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #2931
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

^pedantic, but he did indeed ask about the WEST ring road, separate project to the South-West ring road currently under construction you mentioned.

Could be the giant gravel pit for the SW RR that is located on the West RR right of way, and thus, looks like giant earthworks at the top of the hill.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #2932
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Combined with the fact that Anderson and Southland will all be connected, I don't think 90th will be too busy other then the people who live there. Right now, everyone in that area is forced to use 14th street. The fact that it bottlenecks right at 90th makes it even worse.
You know part of the project is a major new office and retail complex on the Tsuu T'ina land just west of 90th, right? 90th will be the main east-west route for a whole lotta people heading to that complex and points west. Just as loads of people today cut down 90th now rather than go further south to Southland.

The ring road will lighten traffic on 14th street, though not as much as people think - it will still be the most direct way downtown for most of the SW. The fact you have a huge obstacle in the reservoir means that part of the city will always face bottlenecks.

I understand it's a necessary project. But as someone who lives near the west end of Southland drive, the increased traffic and paving over of much of the green space and the off-leash in the area means the ring road will definitely decrease my quality of life.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 08-24-2017 at 10:18 AM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #2933
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That's not where he is asking about though. This is the project on the hill:

http://www.atcopipelines.com/upr/Pro...Y_Brochure.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
^pedantic, but he did indeed ask about the WEST ring road, separate project to the South-West ring road currently under construction you mentioned.
Correct, I was asking about the 'north' leg of the new W/SW ring road, from Hwy 1 to Glenmore/Hwy 8. I was curious because I thought they were doing the SW portion first, which they are.

In fact, the portion that's on Tsuut'ina land is their only real priority in the short term, because they're contractually obligated to finish it (lol...if they're ever able to finish it) if they don't want to lose the land.

But yes, it appears that Fuzz is correct...there's been some work happening north of Hwy 1 in the same spot, so it matches up with the map in ATCO's document.

Sigh...by the time we get a complete ring road, I'll probably be retired.

Last edited by Stealth22; 08-24-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:12 AM   #2934
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Ahh. I assumed it was common knowledge that the Hwy1 to Hwy8 leg is in limbo, so assumed you meant SWRR.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:23 AM   #2935
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Ahh. I assumed it was common knowledge that the Hwy1 to Hwy8 leg is in limbo, so assumed you meant SWRR.
There are a lot of people who think the construction on the west leg has already started... Between the gravel pit, the gravel haul road, and the pipeline work, it is easy to be confused.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #2936
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post

Could not agree more. Driving that stretch of road daily as part of my commute I already see a majority of people ignoring the lower speed limit. This morning I was doing 65-70 (yes I know) and people were blowing by me one after the other. Afternoons are not as bad as the road is already slow due to congestion.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:32 AM   #2937
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It's even better on Glenmore at Ogden. People are flying through the 50 zone at 80+, even though there are workers on the road. I'm honestly flabbergasted at how little police enforcement is done there. It's a ticketing goldmine.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:35 AM   #2938
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Construction zone implementation in Alberta needs to be overhauled.

I was a fan of the Highway 2 work going on where they put up the barriers and only dropped the limit to 100. Thats great.

Not taking down the lowered limit signs when no one is working and having far too long of construction zones than what is needed really makes people speed and not care about the zones.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 10:50 AM   #2939
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Construction zone implementation in Alberta needs to be overhauled.

I was a fan of the Highway 2 work going on where they put up the barriers and only dropped the limit to 100. Thats great.

Not taking down the lowered limit signs when no one is working and having far too long of construction zones than what is needed really makes people speed and not care about the zones.
They did the same thing on NS Stoney when they added new lanes last year and it makes a world of difference. Workers are better protected and speed limits can be set higher than would be required without the barriers. And in my experience on both Stoney and QE2 where they are doing this people seem to be more willing to follow the speed limit so it works for everyone.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:44 PM   #2940
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

had to laugh the other night as I took stoney southbound from McKnight towards 114 av SE. There is a stretch on both sides, where the speed limit is reduced for some reason, and on the northbound side CPS had their lights on and someone pulled over, meanwhile I could see that there was a police car in the same situation further ahead on the southbound side as well - I reduced my speed to 90 but I get passed by some guy who goes racing by the police car in the southbound lane who has someone pulled over and then a second police car emerges on the southbound lanes with it's lights flashing to pull over the speeding southbound driver who passed me.