Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-01-2020, 10:33 AM   #601
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So this is what happens when the Bombers win the Grey Cup....the league ends up folding.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2020, 10:34 AM   #602
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The league just needs to quietly offer to filter money through back channels to Trudeau and his family, they'll get all the help they need.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2020, 12:52 PM   #603
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Lets face it, to the Libs, the CFL isn't their voter demographic. They'll pump a ton of money to the people and their interests that are what they consider the voter base.

The CFL is probably considered a Western League, its fans rampant red neck racist Conservative backers.

A lot of players and especially Canadian Players will see their dreams and jobs evaporate, as will a lot of employees.

Write your MP, write Steven Guilbeault, write letters to your editor if you think that the CFL is important. You know a Canadian Institution.

I would expect that the league is in real jeopardy now. A ton of players won't be coming back, if we lose the season and the revenue, we can probably look at least two teams not coming back or maybe more.

Out of the 343 billion that the Liberals have shoveled out the door, out of the billion that they tried to shovel to their buddies the Kielburger's I find it hard to believe that the Libs are contend to watch a uniquely Canadian Cultural or Sport identity die.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 07:01 PM   #604
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

TORONTO — The CFL is making a last-ditch effort at securing funding from the federal government.

Two sources with knowledge of the situation said Monday the league is now talking with the government about a $30-million, interest-free loan. The league feels it needs financial support from Ottawa to stage an abbreviated 2020 season during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The sources said the newest request came after communication between the federal government and unspecified CFL owners. The sources spoke on the condition of anonymity because neither the league nor federal officials have publicly divulged potential funding details.

The $30-million request is a reduction from the $44-million amended request the league presented last month. In April, the CFL approached the federal government for up to $150 million in assistance due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cf...al-government/
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:43 PM   #605
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I wrote the Liberal MP in charge of the file, especially after he basically told the CFL to screw off and either take a high interest loan on or get the money elsewhere.

I doubt this is going to be successful.

I can't see a season happening this year.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:55 PM   #606
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I wrote the Liberal MP in charge of the file, especially after he basically told the CFL to screw off and either take a high interest loan on or get the money elsewhere.

I doubt this is going to be successful.

I can't see a season happening this year.

Who is the MP Cap?
Old 08-03-2020, 09:13 PM   #607
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Minister of Heritage Steven Guilbeault.

Remember he was Trudeau's star candidate that he air dropped in who's virulently anti pipeline and had some pretty strong Anti-Alberta sentiments during the run up. So I'm not surprised that he would do nothing for the CFL.

I wrote him a polite letter reminding him about the history of the CFL, that it allows young canadian football players to realize their dreams of playing football as a career and as a league it employed over 900 people across the board. That if this government was going to help the arts and culture that it was obligated to help the CFL which is woven into the cultural frame work of this countries history.

I don't expect a response. I also send an email to my MP Stephanie Kuzie, asking her to put this question forward.

I personally think that the CFL will come back next year as a 6 or 7 team league, that a lot of players that have been in this league won't be coming back either.

For a company that's fired out probably close to 400 billion in the blink of an eye to suddenly pinch pennies over the CFL is crazy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 11:29 AM   #608
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1291055810815176704
Old 08-07-2020, 09:04 AM   #609
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

It appears they are still trying to salvage the season (have to have a yea/nay decision in the next 7 days I would think)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1291495248452112387

https://twitter.com/user/status/1291508778265907200
Old 08-12-2020, 08:12 PM   #610
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, this isn't looking good:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1293703136528531457
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:20 PM   #611
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just end this fiasco Ambrosie and let's come back in 2021.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 11:53 PM   #612
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Just end this fiasco Ambrosie and let's come back in 2021.
Similar to hockey, no games at all means not a penny of that sweet sweet TSN TV money which CFL teams now rely on for basic survival.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #613
Vena
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So, I am still trying to figure this one out: Was Mark Cohon a good commissioner or was he in the right place at the right time?

I lean towards a little of both. When he left, it seemed like there were no where to go but down? I wonder how he would have handled these past years up to and including the pandemic.
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:24 PM   #614
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
So, I am still trying to figure this one out: Was Mark Cohon a good commissioner or was he in the right place at the right time?

I lean towards a little of both. When he left, it seemed like there were no where to go but down? I wonder how he would have handled these past years up to and including the pandemic.
He was the best commissioner the league has ever had. There's a reason the XFL approached him to become their commissioner. Attendance did decline in his last year so you can argue he chose to get out at the right time but there's little doubt the league had never prospered more under his guidance as that TSN contract was a game changer for the league. I can't imagine it's easy being the CFL commissioner considering how much owners clash, cheating and under the table stuff always going on behind the scenes and I'm not sure any commissioner would be able to come up with a winning solution for the league during a pandemic. It just seems that Ambrosie has really left the players out in the cold with the lack of communication and progress in any direction.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-13-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 09:13 PM   #615
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1293926027798949890
Old 08-14-2020, 09:19 AM   #616
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Disappointed in Ambrosie. I thought we had a real winner when he was hired. Former player, business savvy, lots of enthusiasm and passion for the league (something Orridge did not have). Turns out he has no clue what to do. He has handled this Covid situation very poorly. I just hope they can regroup for next year.

I would cancel the season and spend the next year preparing for an all out relaunch of the league. Fix the leagues financial model (higher player salaries, lower operating costs), create a new CBA, advertise the #### out of the league and hype it up (celebrate its history, but modernize it). Find some celebrity boosters and outside financial assistance (should have approached The Rock to invest his 15million). I would do a few rule changes to speed up play, increase safety, and increase excitement.

I would assume every player becomes released from their contract so it would be a huge “free agent frenzy”. Imagine if each day was a different day to select certain positions. Today is QB signing day, tomorrow is receivers. Imagine the parity that would come out of this!
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Familia For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #617
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry DP.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006

Last edited by The Familia; 08-14-2020 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Double post
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:42 PM   #618
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

I don't see how they can possibly play in 2020. They should focus on getting back on the field in 2021.

Maybe they could do 2 shortened seasons in 2021. Start in April/May and have a Canada Day Grey Cup. Bonus: a test run of what an earlier start to the season would be like.

Give the players a month, 6 weeks of rest.

Then start up again in August, have an October/early November Grey Cup. See how folks like an earlier end to the season.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 08:15 AM   #619
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1294830544606375936
Old 08-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #620
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Begelton looks good in green and gold.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote