Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-07-2020, 01:00 PM   #2601
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I'll probably wait on Mulan forever, because making live action versions of Disney movies is nothing but a money grab.
I haven’t seen any of the others (fell asleep halfway through Lion King) but Mulan looks like it could be good. Another one I’d be interested in seeing is Hunchback of Notre Dame. But maybe PC culture won’t let that one through. The animated movie is fantastic though. Maybe I should just watch that one again.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:12 PM   #2602
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I felt that way about the Lion King.. so you made a CGI movie based on an animated movie? Why?

I actually prefer the animated version. I'm not looking for realism in my Disney movies..
I'm just looking for 90 mins of escapism.

But I do see your point.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:10 PM   #2603
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I liked the Jungle Book. That had more its own vibe than being a straight shot for shot remake. The voice actors they used also seemed to put their own spin on the characters and provided some pretty memorable performances. The entire cast of voice actors was great.

My girlfriend enjoyed Beauty and the Beast. I was bored. The Lion King seemed totally pointless. It really felt like the original, but with less personality.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:16 PM   #2604
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I liked the Jungle Book. That had more its own vibe than being a straight shot for shot remake. The voice actors they used also seemed to put their own spin on the characters and provided some pretty memorable performances. The entire cast of voice actors was great.

My girlfriend enjoyed Beauty and the Beast. I was bored. The Lion King seemed totally pointless. It really felt like the original, but with less personality.
I thought Beauty and the Beast was pointless and resulted in me having zero interest in seeing any of the other disney remakes.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:14 PM   #2605
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Mulan is one that could be different than the rest. But we'll see.

Live action Lion King is an abomination. Not sure why Disney thought taking all the characters in a movie and taking away their ability to convey any emotion would work.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #2606
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mulan won't be a musical and it won't have talking animals. It might actually be a pretty good action movie.

Remember that Disney is pushing hard for the Chinese market on this one, where the Mulan story is a pretty big part of the culture. I believe their goal was to tell a more-serious version of the story than they did with the animated version.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:20 AM   #2607
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Live action twist to Mulan: the little dragon she talks to isn't real, its because of a brain injury and she's making everything up in her mind. The princess is actually a middle aged white guy who lives in northern Minnesota, he chose "Mulan" because it sounds like "Mullen" his favourite hockey player growing up.

It's set to be directed by M. Night Shyamalan.

What a twist!
Old 08-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #2608
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't sure which thread to put this but apparently Disney isn't going to be putting out older titles on physical 4K anymore. They will however continue to put out 4K releases for new films. This wouldn't be so bad if not for the fact that Disney now owns Fox so several of those titles will never see a 4K release. They will focus all their attention on streaming those titles in 4k instead.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/080720-1600
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:51 AM   #2609
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Unfortunately, physical media is dying.

I used to have hundreds of DVDs and Blurays but realized I just wasn't rewatching them enough to warrant the space they were taking up. I still have about 40 classics/favourites I hang on to but they rarely make it into the player before I just watch the same movie on a streaming platform.

The only thing I really miss is the deleted scenes and commentaries. Even then I only watched a few of the better ones.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:54 AM   #2610
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I like about Disney+ is that they make the deleted scenes available as extras. I'm not sure about the commentary tracks.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:45 AM   #2611
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post

I used to have hundreds of DVDs and Blurays but realized I just wasn't rewatching them enough to warrant the space they were taking up. I still have about 40 classics/favourites I hang on to but they rarely make it into the player before I just watch the same movie on a streaming platform.

The only thing I really miss is the deleted scenes and commentaries. Even then I only watched a few of the better ones.
This. To me, streaming has replaced Blockbuster browsing. I have 4 IKEA towers crammed with DVD's and some spilling out all over (I need a 5th) because I love movies and love watching them and liked to have a bunch at my disposal for whatever mood struck me.

Now, I pop over to Netflix, and cruise around until I see something that looks interesting and watch it. It very much reminds me of the times I'd wander up and down the Blockbuster aisles until something caught my eye.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #2612
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a rather eclectic collection of dvds. You really don't know how many things arn't available on streaming services, until you try to find them in order to save the effort of going over and getting it off the shelf.

AppleTV has a lot of harder to find stuff, but all rentals are 6.99, even for crappy 80s fare, and that's highway robbery.

It's just like anything else in todays world, the freedom to choose is slowly being eroded in favour of what certain companies feel we should watch. Thinking of the weird nonsense that used to be available at the local video store just makes me feel like I'm a slowly boiling frog currently in an Orwellian nightmare.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:02 AM   #2613
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post

In put all my physical movies into binders and got rid of the cases.

They still come in handy for when I am going in vacation to a place with no internet, for example some cabins.

A major issue I've found in that streaming quality has slowly improved to the point where non-hd DVDs are largely unwatchable.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:31 AM   #2614
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never found Netflix picture quality to be all that good. I don't have Disney + but I assume it's the same. Netflix is watchable for some stuff but if I really want to watch a film I love and soak in every last detail the Blu Ray or 4K is the only way to go.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:42 PM   #2615
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
I have a rather eclectic collection of dvds. You really don't know how many things arn't available on streaming services, until you try to find them in order to save the effort of going over and getting it off the shelf.

AppleTV has a lot of harder to find stuff, but all rentals are 6.99, even for crappy 80s fare, and that's highway robbery.

It's just like anything else in todays world, the freedom to choose is slowly being eroded in favour of what certain companies feel we should watch. Thinking of the weird nonsense that used to be available at the local video store just makes me feel like I'm a slowly boiling frog currently in an Orwellian nightmare.
This is where Plex fills the void. For anything not on streaming services you can either download a torrent (easy) or rip it yourself from DVD/Blu-Ray (slightly harder) and make your own streaming platform
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:34 PM   #2616
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I worry about Disney owning all the Fox titles now they will go back and censor/sanitize some films. Disney + has already made minor edits and removed scenes or changed dialogue to movies like Splash, Adventures in Babysitting and Toy Story 2.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:16 PM   #2617
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any altering or censoring of past films should result in the original version becoming public domain. That would make them think twice.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 10:15 PM   #2618
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

20th Century Fox is now called 20th Television. Not sure what happened to the other 19. Good call Disney, ya morons.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:10 AM   #2619
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

An interesting look at the visual effects process.

Link
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 10:27 AM   #2620
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1296477749654233089