Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #141
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sanwa or Seimitsu?
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #142
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Great first three chapters, if the average run time stays the same its about the equivalent of two movies worth of content, which is great.

So now the question is where do we go from here? Mandalorian has to find somewhere to keep this little guy safe or just be endlessly hunted across the galaxy. Does he turn to this "new republic"?
Old 11-22-2019, 10:58 AM   #143
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Great first three chapters, if the average run time stays the same its about the equivalent of two movies worth of content, which is great.

So now the question is where do we go from here? Mandalorian has to find somewhere to keep this little guy safe or just be endlessly hunted across the galaxy. Does he turn to this "new republic"?
Yeah, I'm genuinely curious what happens next. Which is better than both episodes 7/8 which were mostly pretty predictable imo.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #144
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Definitely another great episode.

I'd be really interested to hear more about the Mandalorian code. There's obviously a conflict with that code and the bounty hunter code. I presume that the Mandalorian is now out of the bounty hunter's guild and will spend much of the rest of the season in conflict with bounty hunters.

It's obvious that the other Mandalorians take no issue with him breaking the bounty hunter code and some were obviously not a huge fan of him being a bounty hunter to begin with.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #145
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree, another solid episode. I'm really enjoying this show.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #146
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Christmas rush for Baby Yoda merchandise is going to be interesting. My entire family watches it.

Third episodes was great.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:08 PM   #147
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Definitely another great episode.

I'd be really interested to hear more about the Mandalorian code. There's obviously a conflict with that code and the bounty hunter code. I presume that the Mandalorian is now out of the bounty hunter's guild and will spend much of the rest of the season in conflict with bounty hunters.

It's obvious that the other Mandalorians take no issue with him breaking the bounty hunter code and some were obviously not a huge fan of him being a bounty hunter to begin with.

I would expect that there's now a huge death mark on his head, and he's also most wanted by either the remnants of the Empire of the fledgling First Order. Not a good spot to be in.

Not all Mandalorians are Bounty Hunters or Mercenaries, they're a tribe without a home.

It was pretty cool to see the Super Battle Droids and Droid Gunships in real action.

Great episode, I wonder if the Yoda Baby Dolls come with a metal ball.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #148
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Baby Yoda is going to choke on that thing and then the rescue will have been a waste.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:25 AM   #149
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Baby Yoda is going to choke on that thing and then the rescue will have been a waste.

Part of me was hoping to see the Baby force choking the doctor on the way out.

I'm amazed at how good of a job the lead actor is doing in conveying emotions just by the way he tilts his head or moves it. When he was doing the fly back with the baby and he did the slow head turn, and you could see the gears turning about what was going to happen next. When he flew off and he see's the little hand come up and he unscrewed the metal ball and handed it to him, you could feel this attachment and that he had gone from a bad ass bounty hunter to a bad ass protector.

The one thing that I did pick out is the Storm Troopers using flashlights, They have night vision in their helmets.

Old 11-23-2019, 09:46 AM   #150
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The one thing that I did pick out is the Storm Troopers using flashlights, They have night vision in their helmets.
Obviously these ones don't, they were using flashlights.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #151
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Oh it looks cool, I thought the pursuit scene was a really well done. The way that they film this thing is really awesome.

Its interesting to look at this.

The Mandalorian's have a long history of mistrusting or hating or going to war with the Jedi.

Their society was pretty well wrecked by the war between the Jedi and the Sith on multiple occasions with the last time being when Darth Maul conquered their planet and it lead to a civil war.

The Mando's are also incredibly resistant to the Republic, old or new. You could hear that in his voice last night too. The Mando's tended to go where the money was and that was the Empire, they more often then not would face off against the Republic.

This is leading to the very spaghetti Western character. The man with no face and very few allies or friends. While the Empire is beaten its clearly still in the background and he betrayed them. The Bounty Hunter's guild is going to come after him hard. You betray the Guild and you become an example to be hunted down and killed for a reward.

I doubt there's much New Republic help that far out, and I doubt the Mando would want anything to do with them.

I doubt there's much of a Jedi Order or presence at that time, and part of me believes that given the choice of turning over the baby to the Jedi would be equivalent to turning the baby over to a corrupt Social Services Department.

Old 11-23-2019, 09:58 AM   #152
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

sigh
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #153
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps wearing sunglasses at night, while as cool as Cory Hart claims it is, ,ay not be nearly as practical for soldiers where 'seeing things' trumps 'being cool' as those things you're looking for are likely to be shooting at you.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:18 PM   #154
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked seeing the return of the ice cream maker from ESB...

Old 11-23-2019, 07:14 PM   #155
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Am I the only one pissed that these episodes are only 30 mins?

HBO does 10*60 min episode seasons of brand new shows that no one's even heard of before, and they have to work out deals with carriers to broadcast/stream their stuff.

Disney, with all it's wealth, offers up one 8*30 min episode season of STAR friggin WARS on it's own flagship streaming service that they're trying to sell subscriptions for?

I know I sound whiny, but come on. These episodes are great, except they're like 2-3 scenes and then they're over. And we have to wait a week in between. Just charge me the $16 for two month's subscription up front and let me binge the darn thing. I'd much prefer that vs 8 30min episodes stretched out over 8 weeks.

OK, I'm done crying like a little bitch now. Carry on, everyone.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #156
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is the way.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shogged For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2019, 07:44 PM   #157
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't mind the 30 minute episodes because the episodes go at such breakneck speed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2019, 07:53 PM   #158
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
I don't mind the 30 minute episodes because the episodes go at such breakneck speed.
Actually, I didn't really think of that. I guess this is all just following a single story, vs other shows that have 3 or 4 stories going on at once.

I'm not really sure which I prefer. I admit that sometimes I'm like, "ugh... these guys again? get back to the other story already." But there's also the added... something... that comes along with having to follow multiple archs.

Well, at least I feel like I've leveled up a bit now.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:09 PM   #159
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the non binge.

Discussing shows here or reddit on a weekly basis is enjoyable and I like consuming media that way. The big dump just kills the length of time people talk about the show.

Ideally I’d like 2 episodes a week over a 4 week period.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2019, 08:37 PM   #160
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Well minus that whole learning to ride a monster horse thing.

The episodes are short but they're enjoyable. Standard TV "hour long" drama's are typically 45 minutes before commercials, so you're not missing much.

Releasing it all at once is great but like GGG said it's nice to have a big show that you can discuss weekly. I was late to Game of Thrones but one of the reasons I was drawn to it was because every Monday morning that's all anyone talked about. Besides CaptainCrunch's lust for the expanded universe () this thread has been super enjoyable.