Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
iggyntangs
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default HDMI Audio Vs. Optical Audio For Shaw HD Receiver

So basically as others may have found with Shaw systems apparently due to the HDMI connection every now and then the screen goes black while viewing and the sound cuts and it can get quite annoying.

So what Shaw they suggested connecting the TV with an optical cable for sound instead of the HDMI cable and keeping the HDMI cable for video. So once connected on my receiver I'll click on my optical connection for sound but because my HDMI is still connected the video will automatically show through even though I'm on the optical output on my receiver (for sound).

So I'm wondering if we'll lose any audio or video quality with what Shaw broadcasts/capabilities.

I'm still using HDMI for my X-Box 360 and PS3 connections as my Sony Receiver supports those extra TrueHD and other HD audio formats and is 7.1 capable too.

I mean will this even work? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for this problem?

Thanks.
iggyntangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

For the audio output from a Shaw HD box you won't lose anything going optical.

I didn't understand most of the rest of your question.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

interesting, i never thought the HDMI cable was the reason the picture cuts to black randomly once in a while
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
Tyler12
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Actually that's how I have my DCX 3400 Hooked up, HDMI right the the TV and the Optical to my receiver. There are many reports of Handshaking issues between the Cable Box and Receiver's.

I have not run into any issues with my HDMI going through my receiver but I do it this way because:

I like to listen to music through my receiver (USB stick drive) but still have picture on my TV. Also I can listen to what I'm through the TV if I want if its really late (because the HDMI is going right from the DCX box to my TV)

and also avoiding any handshaking issues that could come up.
Tyler12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have Shaw Direct (starchoice) if that matters. I have my satellite and PS3 hooked up for HDMI video and optical audio and never had any issues. Gives you 5.1 dolby on HD channels so it's not going to hurt by any means.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Actually to correct myself I use. Optical cable now nm
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:24 AM   #7
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

A digital transfer is a digital transfer. There are no different qualities of them. Unless you work at Soundsaround, then you need $900 cables.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyntangs View Post
So basically as others may have found with Shaw systems apparently due to the HDMI connection every now and then the screen goes black while viewing and the sound cuts and it can get quite annoying.

So what Shaw they suggested connecting the TV with an optical cable for sound instead of the HDMI cable and keeping the HDMI cable for video. So once connected on my receiver I'll click on my optical connection for sound but because my HDMI is still connected the video will automatically show through even though I'm on the optical output on my receiver (for sound).

So I'm wondering if we'll lose any audio or video quality with what Shaw broadcasts/capabilities.

I'm still using HDMI for my X-Box 360 and PS3 connections as my Sony Receiver supports those extra TrueHD and other HD audio formats and is 7.1 capable too.

I mean will this even work? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for this problem?

Thanks.
Ok.

If the HDMI from the Shaw box went directly into your TV before, then your TV was doing the audio D-to-A conversion. Generally, this will not be as good as having the sound signal going into the receiver and letting the receiver do the audio D-to-A conversion. Receivers usually have better audio D-to-A converters in them than TVs.

If your HDMI went directly into your receiver, then your receiver was doing the audio D-to-A converting. In this case, plugging in an optical audio connection from your Shaw box to the the receiver will be no different than HDMI alone.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Fan, Ph.D. For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Should I be using optical then instead of rca red/white to connect my box to reciever? I have one of the old ones with dvi out instead of hdmi
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Should I be using optical then instead of rca red/white to connect my box to reciever? I have one of the old ones with dvi out instead of hdmi
I would be, but it depends on how good your equipment is if you will notice a difference.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yes.

Unless you're partially deaf, or have the world's worst receiver/speakers, you will notice a difference.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I got an onkyo reciever and cheap speakers it came with but I am sure I could notice a difference. I will let you know when I change it. Regardless 1 cord instead of 2 cords will save space and make things a little more neat
Old 12-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #13
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I got an onkyo reciever and cheap speakers it came with but I am sure I could notice a difference. I will let you know when I change it. Regardless 1 cord instead of 2 cords will save space and make things a little more neat
Do you have 2 speakers hooked up to your receiver, or 5.1?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #14
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Old 12-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #15
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have a 7.1 set up and were using RCA cables? Lol.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #16
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yes sir! I didn't even think about optical out. usually I just use hdmi but my home theater got demoted from a newer pvr thanks to the wife and got stuck with old HD box
Old 12-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #17
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Haha. Did you notice that you had 6 speakers not working?

Yes, you will definitely hear a difference (at least on the 5.1 channels)

Old 12-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #18
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nope my reciever makes it go through all 6 speakers
Old 12-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #19
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It should sound better though, instead of it taking a stereo 2 channel audio signal and just playing that on all the speakers, it'll actually decode the separate sounds for the separate speakers and play them where they're supposed to go. So even if the actual audio quality isn't any better, you should get some benefit from that.

Not all shows actually support more than 2 channel stereo though, not sure how Shaw cable handles it, but on my satellite shows that are encoded higher are marked as such.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #20
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Nope my reciever makes it go through all 6 speakers
The problem is that it is faking it. On my 7.1 receiver, the best qulaity I get is from my 5.1 analog hookup from my Blu-Ray Player, to my receiver, then to my 5.1 speakers. That is a pure flow of each speaker's intended sound to that speaker. However, if you use HDMI/Optical, all 5.1 channels are separately encoded in the digital signal and your receiver can convert them back to 5.1 signals, one for each speaker (although there is usually some compression unless it is TRUEHD or similar (I believe)). When you use the red/white, there is only information being sent for two channels(speakers), so your receiver basically has to guess how to translate that into something like surround sound. This is where Dolby Pro-logic II and the like come into play. It's basically insctructions to tell your receiver how to make two channel sound play over 5.1 with some surround effects.

Beaten to the punch by photon. On Shaw cable, at least on the HD channels, the Program Guide tells you if a show is 5.1 or not.