Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2008, 02:36 AM   #1
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default MSCA CompTIA A+ CompTIA Network+

Thinking about taking this course, does anyone have advice on the industry and what is projected in the future. Is it worth taking the courses or should I study on my own and challenge the exams? Ultimately, I would like to start my own business providing computer consulting in a rural area.

Is server 2003 going to be the standard for time to come, as 2008 is out? I really have no idea about the industry. Any advice would be a great help.

Is there any network analysts out there that I can pick their brains?

As well, I am looking at taking some web design courses, any advice regarding what is best to focus on, would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your consideration in this matter.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Learn as much as you can about many different facets of the IT world. Find which one you like best and then specialize in that one.

While it may be beneficial you may not need to worry about getting both A+ and Network+ certs.

Server 2003 will probably be the standard for another year, maybe two. There isn't many complaints about Server 2008 (though I haven't been listening) like there has been for Vista.

I went to WinConnections in Vegas this past November and while Microsoft claims 65% market chare for Vista, I'd guess that 5% of the people at the conference are using or even thinking about using Vista in the near future.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

You can self study A+ easily, especially if you have any kind of IT background. The exam is stupidly easy. All you have to do is memorize some key aspects of the test, which any good A+ study guide will discuss in depth. Networks+ is likely the same.

Dunno about MCSA though, as all I have right now is MCDST, where the exam was more confusing than A+, but ultimately easier, go figure.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wrote the A+ exam in 2001, after buying a study guide from Amazon and reading it over a week or so. It's a pretty easy test, but I had the experience of about 8 months working in the IT field when I wrote it.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting certified in Server 2003 vs. 2008; there's enough overlap between the two that so long as you learn general concepts like Active Directory, effective permissions, user accounts, group policy, Exchange, the various different network services (DHCP, DNS, etc.), you'll be fine.

I think a combination of A+ and MCDST should be enough to get your foot in the door for an intro-level IT job (helpdesk or desktop support, etc.), or it will give you enough basic knowledge to start your own consulting company, as you indicated. Of course, there's no substitute for experience, but everyone has to start somewhere.

Honestly, I think you're best choosing between being a web designer or being a techie, rather than trying to be both, as they're pretty incompatible jobs. If web design is more to your liking, I'd suggest taking a course to learn the Adobe/Macromedia suite of applications, Dreamweaver and Flash in particular.
MarchHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thank you for your advice, I would like the accreditation that comes with the MSCA certificate.

I would like my toolbox to include;

Desktop support and windows troubleshooting
Sales, config, and mngt of antivirus systems
Data-backup mngt
Antispyware config and mngt
Hardware software upgrades
Windows server maint.
Printer config and support
ISP selection and config.
Website authoring, hosting, mngt.
Wireless config.
also some VPN and remote stuff.

I am thinking that the MSCA course covers alot of that, excluding the web stuff, which I will be doing on my own.

The course is $12,000 and is fairly comprehensive. I just wanted some advice before I took the plunge.

Does anyone know of any good data security courses or accreditations out there?

Thank you for all your help.

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 01-07-2008 at 12:35 AM.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just about everything you listed there is a straight-up desktop support task, with the exception of server maintenance and website authoring (which really is its own job). I don't think you need to spend $12,000 for an MCSA course to learn how to do those things. As I said, at most you'd need A+ and maybe MCDST. If you're at all competent at teaching yourself, you could buy books from Amazon or wherever to get both certs for only a few hundred dollars.
MarchHare is online now   Reply With Quote