Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2020, 11:08 AM   #21
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don't think there is much the NHL can do to stop this. Neither team owns their own arena. They are both property of the city or county.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
The NHL controls what is on the screen in Edmonton.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:19 AM   #22
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegCityFlamesFan View Post
I'm not sure how this affects you?
I, for one, only discuss things that directly affect me on a deep, personal level. Even thinking about something other than how it impacts me gives me heartburn, which is why I'm glad the store always has antacids.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #23
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
So what? That has nothing at all to do with Dallas and Tampa. The NHL has control over the screen inside the building in which they are playing the tournament. Control they received after negotiating with the city and the province.

How do you imagine the NHL should go about stopping the broadcast of their events in two buildings in separate US states?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #24
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How is this worse than packing thirty 7-year-old petri dishes into a small classroom?
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #25
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
How is this worse than packing thirty 7-year-old petri dishes into a small classroom?
For starters I would hope we agree education is simply more important
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 12:09 PM   #26
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would say the age of the kids is a factor too. It’s a fact that children are significantly less affected by the virus than older people.

Not many 60-80 year olds in a classroom, but there’s nothing stopping them from going to watch a hockey game.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:14 PM   #27
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
So what? That has nothing at all to do with Dallas and Tampa. The NHL has control over the screen inside the building in which they are playing the tournament. Control they received after negotiating with the city and the province.

How do you imagine the NHL should go about stopping the broadcast of their events in two buildings in separate US states?

hey Text

my take on what t-o-t-f was saying was that the nhl shouldn't be putting footage of the big watch parties up on those screens in edmonton (and not referring to the broadcasts inside the dallas/tampa arenas)

but i could be totally wrong
Old 09-26-2020, 12:40 PM   #28
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Disclaimer: This is not a FLU is the same as COVID post, so if you reply to this (or disagree) which is fine...please at least take the time to understand what I am getting at.

Prior to COVID, we were willing to accept 20k fans getting together during the peak of Flu season. The flu R0 value varies, but on average is around 1.3 and the death rate for the flu also varies but is approcimately as follows:
0-17: 0.01
18-49: 0.02
50-64: 0.06
There were no restrictions on people going to stadiums based on age...so I will not try to guess the distribution...but to be conservative....let's say you restrict these types of group events to people under 45.

The R0 of COVID with masks can supposedly be reduced to near 1.0 through mask wearing alone according to a royal society published study. Looking at the stats in places like Houston since implementing a universal mask policy a couple of month ago...there is some backing to this...however, let's say that through reduced capacity (some distancing) and masks we can achieve a similar R0 of 1.3. The death rate by age group for COVID is as follows (CDC). Note that this is likely conservative as not everyone gets tested...but pretty much all deaths are counted.
0-19: 0
20-44: 0.1% (5X as deadly as Flu)
45-64: (23X as deadly as Flu)

So...if you consider this a risk calculation compared to what we were willing to accept in January 2020 as acceptable...

A stadium of 20k fans during peak flu season is a higher risk activity than a stadium of 4k fans (all under the age of 45).
Given that this at worst a one off per year event..the calculation the organizers are making is likely along these lines.

Now...there are certain assumptions about attendees. If we can trust that attendees go home and continue social distancing/mask wearing after leaving the event and stay home if they are being sick. This maintains the R0 assumption. The other expectation is that attendees dont go and hang out with Grandpa or anyone else over 45 immediately following the event...otherwise the age assumption is blown.

I think for better or worse...it will take the above level of risk management for there to be any attended sports in the next 1.5 years. Pandemics suck no matter which way you look at it...
Old 09-26-2020, 12:47 PM   #29
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the college football leagues that have proceeded through, they're having limited amount of fans at games. And some NFL games also had attendance.

So some fans being back at outdoor venues has been going on in some places for the past few weeks.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:37 PM   #30
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
For starters I would hope we agree education is simply more important
No #### sherlock.

But that doesn't change the fact that 30 people of an age group where you often have to fight with them to wash their hands and wear masks in close proximity to one another is more of a risk to public safety than 2000 people in a 20,000 seat building following safety precautions.

Education being more important doesn't change the risks. Since it has to continue because of it being more important, more provisions should have been put into place to make it safer for children. Things like smaller class sizes so they could observe proper social distancing, you know like they are doing at these games.

Last edited by Crown Royal; 09-26-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:40 PM   #31
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I would say the age of the kids is a factor too. It’s a fact that children are significantly less affected by the virus than older people.

Not many 60-80 year olds in a classroom, but there’s nothing stopping them from going to watch a hockey game.
Have you ever been around kids? Just because they are less likely to become sick, doesn't mean they won't get everyone else around them sick. Which includes these weird familial people called grandparents.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:57 PM   #32
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Because the sooner idiots take this seriously the sooner we can all have our lives back.
This is simply not true.

The virus spreads. Nothing can stop it. Physical distancing and PPE slow the spread rate not prevent. Focus on these publicized events if you must. But as you read this there are thousands of people near you who are outside their bubble and not distancing and aren’t wearing a mask. And probably millions at this moment worldwide. They are not all ‘idiots’.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:54 PM   #33
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those who didn't see the game, what were these viewing parties like?

Were they free for all large gatherings? Or attempts to keep people distanced and re introduce a certain % of people with protocols?

Reason I ask is we are going to see all major sports leagues enter into this debate of how they can have people in the crowd.
I'm interested to know how this is being approached by various teams & leagues.

Last edited by Winsor_Pilates; 09-26-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 05:07 PM   #34
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
This is simply not true.

The virus spreads. Nothing can stop it. Physical distancing and PPE slow the spread rate not prevent. Focus on these publicized events if you must. But as you read this there are thousands of people near you who are outside their bubble and not distancing and aren’t wearing a mask. And probably millions at this moment worldwide. They are not all ‘idiots’.
Yes, they most certainly are.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 06:08 PM   #35
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
This is simply not true.

Not going to a viewing party reduces the risk of getting Covid-19.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:14 PM   #36
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No #### sherlock.

But that doesn't change the fact that 30 people of an age group where you often have to fight with them to wash their hands and wear masks in close proximity to one another is more of a risk to public safety than 2000 people in a 20,000 seat building following safety precautions.

Education being more important doesn't change the risks. Since it has to continue because of it being more important, more provisions should have been put into place to make it safer for children. Things like smaller class sizes so they could observe proper social distancing, you know like they are doing at these games.
Dude you gotta work on your tone. You have an increasingly confrontation tone with everyone you disagree with. No need.

This is all about risk/reward - so yeah maintaining education of young children means you allow some risk to do so.
That makes it fundamentally different than a bunch of people gathering to watch sports.
Perhaps the risk is similar, but the reasons for doing it are very different.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:22 PM   #37
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Dude you gotta work on your tone. You have an increasingly confrontation tone with everyone you disagree with. No need.

This is all about risk/reward - so yeah maintaining education of young children means you allow some risk to do so.
That makes it fundamentally different than a bunch of people gathering to watch sports.
Perhaps the risk is similar, but the reasons for doing it are very different.
Don't say things to me like you think I'm stupid then, such as education being more important that sports, because unless I'm completely stupid, I know this. You sounded like a dick, so I responded the same way you came off.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:24 PM   #38
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't say things to me like you think I'm stupid then, such as education being more important that sports, because unless I'm completely stupid, I know this. You sounded like a dick, so I responded the same way you came off.
Pointing out a core difference in the two scenarios being presented isn’t being a dick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 06:27 PM   #39
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Pointing out a core difference in the two scenarios being presented isn’t being a dick.
and sarcastically saying no #### sherlock isn't exactly what I'd confrontational, but yet there you are insinuating I'm the #######.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:34 PM   #40
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

To the matter at hand. You are comparing people going to large buildings to watch a sporting event with a small group of kids gathering in a small space for education.
And the decision makers and people managing those environments are totally different.
Do I think that the schools should have taken more steps to manage space and size? I do. But it has no relevance here because those are completely different parties involve, for different purposes, with different demographics, different risk profiles and completely different spaces to manage.

Saying that schools should have done more to reduce risk, doesn't somehow make it OK for fans to gather to watch a game. Nor does it make it not OK. It simply doesn't have any relevance in the discussion, from my POV.

Unless there was a different point you were trying to make...in which case you are welcome to clarify.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: