Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 07:07 AM   #8861
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post

Giordano has declined form being a #1 to a #2, his contract is not an albatross.
He played like a #7 in the playoffs, not admitting that is just as bad as blowing the playoff appearance out of proportions.

I think its natural to be concerned for a 37 year old highest paid player who just had a terrible showing. Let's all hope Gio gets better but if he comes back from this break like he did the last we are in a world of trouble.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 07:40 AM   #8862
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who is more likely to return to their form of two years ago, Gio or Gaudreau?
Old 10-01-2020, 08:21 AM   #8863
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn’t Gio’s contract just going as expected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 08:23 AM   #8864
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Pretty easy answer. I love Gio but he declined last season and there’s little to no chance going forward that he ever returns to his Norris form. He could stay at the edge of the cliff for another season but he could just as easily fall off without notice as Father Time is not always kind.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:23 AM   #8865
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Isn’t Gio’s contract just going as expected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty much. Not sure what the fuss is about.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #8866
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Contract was a bit longer to keep the AAV down, and Gio was expected to have a decline in the last 2 or so years of the contract. Small price to pay to have a Norris winner at 6.75M in his prime. Hardly the albatross that some have suggested, he is still a serviceable D, but probably should be dropping to the 2nd pairing next season.

That being said, IMO it would be foolish to protect him in the expansion draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Clearly Gaudreau, he should still be in his prime age-wise, and has no known nagging injuries. He could benefit from a healthier lifestyle and better diet, but maybe his fiancé will encourage him to clean it up.

Last edited by Macindoc; 10-01-2020 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:01 AM   #8867
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Pretty easy answer. I love Gio but he declined last season and there’s little to no chance going forward that he ever returns to his Norris form. He could stay at the edge of the cliff for another season but he could just as easily fall off without notice as Father Time is not always kind.
Maybe? Did Giordano begin an actual decline last season, or did he simply have a worse season than in 2019? I think it is premature to be making pronouncements of his career demise. Even if he has taken a step back, he still provides solid value at his current price tag.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #8868
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
He played like a #7 in the playoffs, not admitting that is just as bad as blowing the playoff appearance out of proportions.

I think its natural to be concerned for a 37 year old highest paid player who just had a terrible showing. Let's all hope Gio gets better but if he comes back from this break like he did the last we are in a world of trouble.
I think he was bad in the playoffs, but just as we shouldn't understate that, we should also not over-state (e.g. playing like a #7).
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 09:10 AM   #8869
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think he'll fall off a cliff as people believe, but we should expect to see some decline as well as a sharp cut in his icetime and responsibilities. If anything, I'd expect to see something like a Gulutzan-era Giordano but playing on the second pairing instead.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:16 AM   #8870
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

While Gio's age will come into question for his poor playoff performance it should be noted this was 2 playoffs in a row where his mental make up (in the playoffs, regular season was alright) could be called into question. Can he handle the pressure? That likely isn't going to get better as he stares down the end of his career.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:18 AM   #8871
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Maybe? Did Giordano begin an actual decline last season, or did he simply have a worse season than in 2019? I think it is premature to be making pronouncements of his career demise. Even if he has taken a step back, he still provides solid value at his current price tag.

He certainly didn't play up to the level of his previous season or the ones previous wich to me indicates decline. I'm not saying he was bad but it's the first season I can remember when a lot of the time I thought Brodie was playing the better of the pairing. He's going to be 37 in a couple of days so I don't understand how you wouldn't think the a career demise is in the horizon. The reality is that it's already started we just don't know how gradual it will be before the things really go fast.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:21 AM   #8872
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Bingo had a good take on CP Radio about Gio - that he always plays at his maximum effort/intensity level. So while other players find another level in the playoffs - he doesn't have another level to find. He is a high end player, in part, due to his consistent high work rate and effort. During the regular season that allows him to perform at a higher level than others - but again - as they amp up in the playoffs - he's already at his peak.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 09:26 AM   #8873
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

The bolded is very much up for debate. The value in Gio's contract has already been received as he clearly outplayed his AAV at the outset. It is likely, and expected, that will no longer be the case. I'm hopeful he can be a solid defenseman, but wouldn't measure that in terms of terms of value for $'s.

But if he is going to play with the kind of minutes he received in the playoffs, he simply has to be better than that for this team to do anything. I see no sense in sugar coating that. One of the Flames most disappointing playoff performers two years running and I wouldn't attribute that all to age.

Not only that, look at his zone starts this past playoffs. No defenseman was sheltered more. It was bad.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:32 AM   #8874
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He certainly didn't play up to the level of his previous season or the ones previous wich to me indicates decline. I'm not saying he was bad but it's the first season I can remember when a lot of the time I thought Brodie was playing the better of the pairing. He's going to be 37 in a couple of days so I don't understand how you wouldn't think the a career demise is in the horizon. The reality is that it's already started we just don't know how gradual it will be before the things really go fast.
I get what you're saying and of course he will decline - but - he had is best season of his career at 35-36 which is highly unusual, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Gio play at a very high level until he's nearly 40.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:46 AM   #8875
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

TSN's latest trade bait:
https://www.tsn.ca/trade-bait-frozen...able-1.1532623

It may be a little bit of TSN trying to hype up their upcoming TSN free agent frenzy show but FWIW:

Quote:
The message was simple yet still jaw-dropping. When asked to size up the trade market as a whole, this is how one NHL general manager framed it on Wednesday:

“The number of franchise-changing players available or being talked about each day is astonishing,” the GM said. “It’s just that no one has any room for them.”
Interesting tidbits:

Quote:
- With both of the Blue Jackets’ netminders, Devan Dubnyk, Martin Jones and even Sergei Bobrovsky hitting the board, it might be easier to list the goaltenders who are not moving this fall. It’s not long: Carey Price, Connor Hellebuyck, Andrei Vasilevskiy, John Gibson, Carter Hart, Jordan Binnington, Ilya Sorokin, Igor Shesterkin, and Ilya Samsonov.

- Speaking of Bobrovsky, is that the NHL’s most unmovable contract?

- The Lightning’s three Stanley Cup champions on the board (Yanni Gourde, Tyler Johnson and Alex Killorn) are representative of the cap challenge facing GM Julien BriseBois.

- With limited free agent centres available, the Predators believed to be exploring opportunities to move any one of theirs who can play it: Ryan Johansen, Matt Duchene, Kyle Turris or Nick Bonino. No Nashville forward has any no-trade protection.

- Vezina Trophy runner-up Tuukka Rask debuts on the board at No. 10. Many were wondering if there would be fallout from Rask’s decision to leave the bubble for family reasons, a decision that was certainly supported by teammates. But multiple sources indicate that Bruins GM Don Sweeney has initiated conversations with teams about Rask’s market value over the last number of weeks.
Also lots of Oilers stuff re: Klefbom/OEL, RNH extension, Hall, Puljujarvi etc

Last edited by sureLoss; 10-01-2020 at 10:10 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 09:51 AM   #8876
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

No matter what, Gio's contract is not an albatross with only two years left. He should be a top 4 next year.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #8877
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
I get what you're saying and of course he will decline - but - he had is best season of his career at 35-36 which is highly unusual, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Gio play at a very high level until he's nearly 40.
All of the whining about Gio's play and contract are pretty irritating. Of course he's going to decline - he's not young. And of course at some point, like every long term contract, his play is below his salary, just like it was way above for the vast majority of the time. And just like any team feasts off of ELC contracts of star players.

Gio had a bad year by his standards, but not horrible by NHL defencemen standards. And, like guys like Weber or Campbell or Chara, is capable of bouncing back somewhat - not to peak Gio but certainly better.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #8878
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

So Giordano plays almost 70 games at about a #2 level, has 4 months off, an abbreviated training camp, 1 exhibition game and then 10 playoff games and you want to use that 10 games as proof of anything? That's even worse than someone claiming a player is done after October in a regular season.

And claiming Giordano played like a #7 is a special kind of terrible. It's not even remotely ####ing true. Gio made his mistakes and really seemed to struggle with discipline, but claiming played like a #7 is an outright lie.

Claiming Giordano played like a #7 is akin to saying the poster "Love" thinks Monahan is an elite #1 center.

Last edited by Crown Royal; 10-01-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:03 AM   #8879
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
TSN's latest trade bait:
https://www.tsn.ca/trade-bait-frozen...able-1.1532623

Interesting tidbits:

Also lots of Oilers stuff re: Klefbom/OEL, RNH extension, Hall, Puljujarvi etc
Kind of surprising Gaudreau and Monahan are not on the big board for TSN?
Old 10-01-2020, 10:04 AM   #8880
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not surprised that Monahan isn't on the big board. I think the probability he gets moved is VERY low.
Johnny though yeah - surprised he isn't on there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread