Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #1
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Home-office printer

I haven’t had a home printer for 20 years so buying this is a new thing for me. I’m setting up a home office and am looking at this printer.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/epson-e...rinter-review/

At $399 this printer is more costly to buy, which is OK, but the ink will be a lot cheaper than inkjet cartridges. I want print, scan and copy functions. I expect that printing use will likely be moderate.

I’m looking for advice.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I haven’t had a home printer for 20 years so buying this is a new thing for me. I’m setting up a home office and am looking at this printer.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/epson-e...rinter-review/

At $399 this printer is more costly to buy, which is OK, but the ink will be a lot cheaper than inkjet cartridges. I want print, scan and copy functions. I expect that printing use will likely be moderate.

I’m looking for advice.
Do you need color? If not I would go for a laser printer. Refillable or not Inkjets have far too many issues from my experience. I have no experience with this model so I would be curious to hear first hand from someone.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:10 PM   #3
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Do you need color? If not I would go for a laser printer. Refillable or not Inkjets have far too many issues from my experience. I have no experience with this model so I would be curious to hear first hand from someone.
Colour probably isn’t essential.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #4
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX77267

Here is a B&W all in one for example only $129 right now ($200 off) has wireless also. Toner is expensive at $207 for a cartridge but that is 6000 pages.

I'm not recommending this one as I have not used it personally but it looks like a good option.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:14 PM   #5
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've had very good experience with 3 separate Brother refurbs; make sure to sign up for the newsletter discount.

https://www.brother.ca/en/p/RMFCL2710DW
This is what I am currently using now. My only gripe is that the document feeder only scans one side at a time.

Last edited by jwslam; 01-07-2020 at 12:29 PM.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #6
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

A friend who is in a related business advises me against the Epson printer I was checking out and suggests Canon, HP, or Brother and only a monochrome cartridge printer, but to check the cost of replacement cartridges and refill them.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #7
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Printers are evil. All of them. Especially home printers.
I've never had a printer that wasn't an ####### to use.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:05 PM   #8
ericschand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

+1 for a laser printer. Many many advantages.

Sharper printing
Faster printing
Cheaper than ink toner cartridges
No wasting ink "cleaning" the printer
Print seldomly? No worries, it doesn't jam up; high shelf life

I would also suggest looking for one that does duplex printing and duplex scanning. Duplex scanning is a great feature and really saves a lot of time.

Here's a somewhat affordable example:
https://estore.canon.ca/en-CA/catalo...eclass-mf445dw

And here's a 10,000 page toner for it
https://www.123ink.ca/p-382052-canon...dge-high-yield

Note: I haven't used this specific product or toner before. I have purchased toner from 123ink.ca in the past with success for 2 different laser printers.

ers
ericschand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:10 PM   #9
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'll echo everyone else.

Get a laser printer. I've had a Brother laser printer for almost 7 years now. replaced the toner once. It doesn't dry out and become useless.

No need for a colour printer in 99% of home offices.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 01:53 PM   #10
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll go off-board here, and offer another solution.

The Ricoh SP C261SFNw color laser. It's what I have at home. Good performance and color reproduction, flatbed and feed scanning, and it supports AirPrint. It isn't hugely expensive and I've been happy with its performance.

It replaced an OKIdata MC160n color laser that I loved, but wasn't really supported beyond Windows 7, drivers became tough to find, and it became harder and harder to find toner and eventually died the day I was about to sell it on Kijiji. D'oh.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 01-07-2020 at 03:12 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:24 PM   #11
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you need color? If not I would go for a laser printer.
Agreed 100%

Our entire office runs on Brother printers that were the previous years models for some time. Buy the toner cartridges from Amazon and never look back.

The Brothers have been work horses in our office for years.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 03:26 PM   #12
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brother printers are solid. I use these at work and I use a retired one that's like 6 or 7 years old and other than being slightly slow to spool up, it runs without issue. I agree with acquiring a multifunctional printer. Scanning and photocopying is always nice.

Brother also has some really good options for aftermarket toner and drums that are around 10-20% the cost of OEM on Amazon. The print outs aren't as sharp as the OEM toner and drums, but more than adequate for printing a regular basis. I usually only use OEM for client deliverables.

Brother printers are also already one of the cheapest for toner, so replacement toner even OEM would be reasonably priced.

Agreed on the color printer comment. It's not necessary and it's more expensive. If you need the occasional color copy, take a thumb drive to Staples for printing.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 03:38 PM   #13
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX77267

Here is a B&W all in one for example only $129 right now ($200 off) has wireless also. Toner is expensive at $207 for a cartridge but that is 6000 pages.

I'm not recommending this one as I have not used it personally but it looks like a good option.
From what I understand, Canon and Lexmark are very good for scan quality and image compression vs Brother printers. However, their paper feeders and laser printing printers isn't going to have the same level of longevity like a Brother printer. Someone printing a few hundred to a thousand pages a year might not really notice, but someone who prints thousands of pages per year may quickly notice printing imperfections.

However, I believe the opposite is true for color inkjets. It's Canon and Lexmark that have the longevity over the Brother printers. I have a Canon color printer that I've occasionally used (A dozen to few hundred pages a year) over the last 3-4 years and it's pretty solid. No dried out ink or anything which is surprising. The paper feeders creak and stuff, but is adequate. It scans pretty nice color printers that are size efficient, but the paper feeder for the scanner is constantly jamming or running multiple pages at a time if I try to scan more than 10 pages or so.

Personally, for laser printer I'd choose Brother. For inkjets I'd consider Canon.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:39 AM   #14
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brother printers are by far the best option for full duplex (both sides) laser printing.

https://www.amazon.ca/Brother-DCPL25...s%2C194&sr=8-4 is only $140 bucks. Replacement official ink is $50 a cart, third party carts are $25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:45 AM   #15
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'll throw in my 2 cents too.
Printers are the tools of Satan. All of them. That being said, the best I've come across is the c\Canon mfc731cdw. Setup took all of about 90 seconds and it's worked for the last 9 months trouble free. Under $400 USD.
I've been recommending them since then and have had zero issues or complaints.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:08 AM   #16
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Relevant:

I was cleaning yesterday and found one of these in my closet
https://www.pcworld.com/article/121584/article.html

It still prints decent.
Can give away for free to anyone who wants it.
Pick up in Central NW.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:22 AM   #17
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've been toying of buying a new printer as well, but the lady likes to print off photos. It's been a while since I've been in the printer market, and I know laser printers were always touted as being bad photo printers. Is that a thing of the past? or does that still stand today?
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #18
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, you still want an inkjet for photos. But I contend that it is way cheaper, and better quality for longer lasting prints to upload them to a printing service and have them professionally printed. Only drawback is it isn't immediate satisfaction.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 12:12 PM   #19
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
I've been toying of buying a new printer as well, but the lady likes to print off photos. It's been a while since I've been in the printer market, and I know laser printers were always touted as being bad photo printers. Is that a thing of the past? or does that still stand today?
Color printers are pricey in terms of cost of printer and then photo paper etc. Laser and Inkjet aren't really the most important factors here, but if you really, really want nice photos, you go inkjet as Fuzz said.

Costco is cheap to develop photos and they use higher quality printers than what you'd be buying. It makes more sense to do it that way than buying your own printer.

There are definitely occasional reasons why you'd want to print your own stuff. I have a friend who bought a color printer to print photos on the fly for some relatives in rural areas kinda as a gift/service. Same thing for mobility or time saving reasons (ie: Decision making and physical copy required time is too close).
Old 01-09-2020, 01:52 PM   #20
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For a home office, a cheap B/W laser printer is the way to go.

High capacity toner cartridge is ~$200, and should last you years. And if most of what you are printing is text, you will get much better results compared with inkjet.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home office , printers