Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-04-2019, 02:18 AM   #1
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Stumped about disk space

I thought i was pretty decent around a PC until now. Tonight I ran out of disk space downloading a couple of 4K movies and I'm stumped.

I have a 1 TB spare drive that I use for mostly MS office and (cough) legal movies.

Movies are taking up 57 GB, Office is taking up 300 MB and a few other things like turbo tax..etc are taking about 500 MG more for a total of 57.8 GB

Problem is it says I'm using 872 GB of the 937 GB drive, can someone explain where the hidden 824 odd GB's have gone. I have tried WinDirStat and it can't find the missing space or what's using it either.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:40 AM   #2
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Did you run WinDirStat in administrative mode? That can allow it to examine folders that it might not otherwise be able to view.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 06:16 AM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recycle bin?

You may need to turn on viewing of system and hidden files to see what the problem is.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:37 AM   #4
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe try a program called spacesniffer and run that in admin mode if you can. I use it often to get rid of files I don't need or want and to find out what is taking all the space on my drives. A quick google search for it should get you started. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:47 AM   #5
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Recycle bin?

You may need to turn on viewing of system and hidden files to see what the problem is.
+1 for these two easy first steps. If you use torrents off of that drive, you may have more than one copy of content as well that you may not see if hidden.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #6
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is System Restore enabled on the spare drive? That could reduce the amount of available space.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:29 AM   #7
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The pagefile could be on this volume as well?

Hidden system file used to swap data from RAM.

If you change your folder view options to show hidden files/folders, whatever is consuming the disk space should become apparent.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:04 AM   #8
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pagefile, system restore/other backups, recycle bin, temp files are good first steps, but 824GB still seems way too much for those.

Now, you did cough and say downloading. Did you queue up any torrents for which you haven't fully downloaded yet/are paused etc? Some torrent clients will make sure to allocate space for torrents you are intending to download.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #9
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Install and run this
https://www.diskanalyzerpro.com/down...pace-analyzer/
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #10
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Uh, that link sent my virus scanner and ublock tingling. Probably best to stay away from that.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:50 PM   #11
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, that's odd. I've seen the drive showing way less space than it should because of unallocated drive space but that doesn't sound like your case. might end up having to transfer everything to an EHD and starting from scratch with a clean format.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:57 PM   #12
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're probably a vector for the Russians to hack the 2020 election now.

But seriously, run WinDirStat by right clicking and choosing 'Run as administrator'. That'll let you see the vast majority of the files on the drive.

Another thing you can try:

- Click start, type cmd, then click Run as administrator.
-From the cmd.exe window, type cleanmgr /sageset:99
That'll open the Disk Cleanup utility. Select everything (except Downloads … if you want to keep your Downloads folder). Then click OK and it will close.
- From the same CMD window, type cleanmgr /sagerun:99.
The Disk Cleanup wizard will then run with all the settings you chose in the previous step. This is especially helpful for removing the big-ass Windows.old folder that is created after a Windows feature update.

If you can't find what's taking up the space, you may want to run chkdsk /R from the elevated CMD window. It'll take a while, and you will likely need to reboot the system to let the disk check run offline. It will take a long time, so I'd recommend running it just before you go to bed, and let it go overnight.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 12-04-2019 at 05:00 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 07:01 PM   #13
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Uh, that link sent my virus scanner and ublock tingling. Probably best to stay away from that.
Get a better virus checker there is no virus in that exe not according to Hitman Pro or Eset.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:42 PM   #14
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Get a better virus checker there is no virus in that exe not according to Hitman Pro or Eset.
Well OK, but ESET is what warned me.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:48 PM   #15
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Well OK, but ESET is what warned me.
Hmmm don't know why I got no warning also running Eset. Still getting it? If so best to avoid the site just to be sure.

This program will do the same thing with less fancy graphs
https://sourceforge.net/projects/windirstat/
Old 12-04-2019, 08:00 PM   #16
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It appears to be loading a resource from this site, which is a CDN that has some, uhm, mixed reviews. So ESET probably blocked it due to it hosting bad stuff on their CDN elswhere. Anyway, it looks like this is the culprit:
https://b34df4ra1.vo.llnwd.net/conte...alyzer-pro.png

and it loads a couple other images from there, but doesn't look like any scripts, so the site itself is probably fine. I usually just nope out of a site offering software pretty quick when I get a virus warning, but figured I'd see what was doing it.

Odd yours didn't detect it.

Old 12-05-2019, 02:04 AM   #17
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Did you run WinDirStat in administrative mode? That can allow it to examine folders that it might not otherwise be able to view.
I did now and it found the hidden files and over 800 GB, they were backup files going back to when I built this rig in 2015, I can't remember asking or being asked to keep backups. probably happened when I did the free upgrade to Win10 and didn't notice.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #18
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I did now and it found the hidden files and over 800 GB, they were backup files going back to when I built this rig in 2015, I can't remember asking or being asked to keep backups. probably happened when I did the free upgrade to Win10 and didn't notice.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated
Windows backups? There should be settings to either limit the space used for backup restore points and/or the duration to keep the backup restore points. You might want to tweak those so you're not continuing in accumulating years of redundant and unnecessary backups.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 09:46 PM   #19
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Or maybe System Restore Points?