Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
jofillips
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default World of Tanks

hey, I was wondering if anybody plays this game - it's all free to download but like many games now it seems to make its money through buying extras.
If you like your military history it can be great fun!
jofillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:49 AM   #2
hmmhmmcamo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I haven't played it but I seem to remember a few different people here talking about it a little while back. Maybe try searching in the video game thread....my search skills are failing me right now.
hmmhmmcamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

I was into it quite a bit, but the grind just started pissing me off. By the time I finally got to the next tier, there was a new tank released that was better.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I will still play it on occasion when I need a 10 minute distraction. The grind is simply too much if you want to go into the higher tiers. Up until then, it's still fun.

To it's credit, the game does improve substantially with each update. The new changes make the game much more enjoyable than it used to be.

I decided to stop playing normally, buy one premium tank (T59), load it with premium shells (you can buy those with normal in-game money now) and drive that pretty much 90% of the time simply to have fun and not care about anything else.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
socktape
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I still play a relatively often, for me that is. My son is hooked. there are a few guys in Calgary that I know of that play quite regularly. Once you get to tier 4 and above it gets pretty good but it can be a grind to get there. Initailly I was going to just play for free and see where it led me but after a while i figured I would throw them some cash cause it was well worth the fun of the game.

As you get up into the higher tiers the tanks get bigger and faster. The tank companies and platoons are a fun way to play with friends. New map just came out in the newest release. They are always adding tanks, tweeking the balancing, fixing up maps etc.

They are also working on two similar games with warplanes and warships of the same era. Should be fun to try when they are finally out.
socktape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

World of Warplanes is a mess right now. It's buggy and not very fun. War Thunder is a much more advanced and better developed WWII aviation MMO and that company is also coming out with War Thunder: Ground Forces to compete with WOT so that may be interesting to keep a look-out for those interested in such things.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
socktape
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
World of Warplanes is a mess right now. It's buggy and not very fun. War Thunder is a much more advanced and better developed WWII aviation MMO and that company is also coming out with War Thunder: Ground Forces to compete with WOT so that may be interesting to keep a look-out for those interested in such things.
Thats a shame perhaps they'll clean a lot of it up when they get past the next release
socktape is offline   Reply With Quote