Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Apple maps can EAD (Explain Accurate Directions) [Update Google Maps Available]

I can not believe how terrible this maps program is! I thought people were exaggerating until I tried it out for the first time with an address on Fairmount dr. It took me on a tour of the SE until I finally gave up and stopped and asked for directions.

I will never in my life buy another apple product again. How they released this pos is beyond me.

As soon as I'm eligible for an upgrade ill be switching over to Samsung. Eff you Apple for wasting my time in traffic.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckluck2 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

How long have you lived in this city that you needed to use GPS to get to Fairmont Drive, which is a fairly major road? And knowing that there are reported issues with Apple maps why not confirm the location with a second source, like Google maps?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

What was the problem - it couldn't find the address, found the wrong address, gave wrong directions, gave sucky directions..... Just curious cause its generally been good for me. It has made a few whoppers for me but they were immediately obvious just reviewing the proposed route.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apple maps sucks horribly, but I find it amusing that one poor app causes you to swear off an entire company.

You know you can run the web-app version of google maps. Or keep a paper map in the car...
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
How long have you lived in this city that you needed to use GPS to get to Fairmont Drive, which is a fairly major road? And knowing that there are reported issues with Apple maps why not confirm the location with a second source, like Google maps?
I've lived in Calgary my whole life and after getting to the location I did know where Fairmont dr was as I used to play hockey around there, but just didn't know the road was called Fairmont dr.

Either way Apple maps can eat a fat one and I hope Samsung wipes them out of the market.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Apple maps sucks horribly, but I find it amusing that one poor app causes you to swear off an entire company.

You know you can run the web-app version of google maps. Or keep a paper map in the car...
Then what is the point of being with apple if I'm going to use another maps? or another youtube app? I might as well not give them my money if they can't make a good product and force me to download apps from other companies.

A paper map in my car? lol ok...you'd have to be an idiot to carry a paper map in your car when you have a smart phone with unlimited internet and supposed GPS on it.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
What was the problem - it couldn't find the address, found the wrong address, gave wrong directions, gave sucky directions..... Just curious cause its generally been good for me. It has made a few whoppers for me but they were immediately obvious just reviewing the proposed route.
Gave me wrong directions when I was coming from Cranston. Ended up around Glenmore Inn and it just kept re-routing me to other wrong turns.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I find it amusing someone suggests an actual map in this day and age.

Maps is an essential app, it's not like he's swearing off iOS because Doodle Jump crashed.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

A paper map lol. What is this 2007?

I've found apple maps no worse than my garbage garmin GPS. Works pretty much fine as long as you type in the right address. It was released too soon, certainly. But people have blown this so far out of proportion, it's hilarious.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
It has made a few whoppers for me but they were immediately obvious just reviewing the proposed route.
This isn't a problem for you because you know the city. What if you were from San Diego or something visiting Calgary and relying on your smartphone to get you around. Those whoppers might have been a lot less obvious and a lot more inconvenient.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maps is one of the main reasons I switched over from blackberry to iphone.

If Apple can't give me a good maps program then why should I be with them when there are other phones that do exactly what the iphone does and more and offers their own maps program?

I honestly am amazed at just how terrible it it especially while driving. And am even more amazed apple hasn't recalled the whole app and brought google maps back. This isn't just a "bad" app. This is a app that wasted one hour of my time today in rush hour traffic. I cherish my free time and that's what pissed me off so much.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #12
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410698,00.asp
Old 10-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iginla View Post
A paper map in my car? lol ok...you'd have to be an idiot to carry a paper map in your car
Because this thread has proven that technology is obviously infallible.

I always have a Calgary and Alberta map in the car in case I'm out of cell range or something screws up. If that makes me an idiot so be it I guess. Hope you enjoyed touring the city today.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 10-29-2012 at 11:27 PM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #14
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
A paper map in my car? lol ok...you'd have to be an idiot to carry a paper map in your car when you have a smart phone with unlimited internet and supposed GPS on it.
Let me see if I understand you; they very kind of backup you could have made use of- it would have taken an idiot to have such a backup?

Somebody else asked "what is this- 2007?" My question- why would you have thrown out your map from 2007? May not be entirely up to date; but it sure would have had Fairmount Drive on it. I occasionally use my paper map when I'm in the NW; because the GPS will sometimes give a route that involves crossing a major road with no traffic controls because it is shorter.

I just did a quick search on my Apple maps, and the route it gave me to Fairmount drive was perfect. I'd be curious to see how it took you.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I find it odd that Apple Maps has issues in big cities, yet when I put in the address for a church in Whycocomagh NS it brought me to the door step and gave me options to grab food before the wedding I was attending.

However I do believe that Apple Maps has once and for all ended the Garmin versus TomTom debate

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm with puckluck on this one. Apple maps is about the worst thing ever programmed by anyone. It's failure rate for me is over 65%.

As someone who uses it every weekend to do deliveries I counted on the maps app from my iPhone. After the 8th mistake in two nights I said "Forget this" and pulled out Chrome and used Google maps (so good).

Absolute garbage software and I'm with puckluck in swearing off Apple because of it. It has pissed me off to the point where I am switching to the Galaxy S3/4 when my contract expires.

I should have never updated my iOS, the new update has had no benefits, just a ton of downsides.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Let me see if I understand you; they very kind of backup you could have made use of- it would have taken an idiot to have such a backup?

Somebody else asked "what is this- 2007?" My question- why would you have thrown out your map from 2007? May not be entirely up to date; but it sure would have had Fairmount Drive on it. I occasionally use my paper map when I'm in the NW; because the GPS will sometimes give a route that involves crossing a major road with no traffic controls because it is shorter.

I just did a quick search on my Apple maps, and the route it gave me to Fairmount drive was perfect. I'd be curious to see how it took you.
I never once had a problem with google maps so I don't think having a backup map is reasonable. Sure you COULD have a map in your car, but I rather use GPS.

And funny thing is I just put fairmount dr in maps again and it gave me right directions. Maybe it has something to do with the GPS while driving? Because I was using the voice GPS and it definitely gave me wrong directions coming from Cranston. Took me to southland dr then to Blackfoot then to glenmore trail east told me to take a left on shepard road when you can only take a right. It took me on a tour.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maps is one of the main reasons I switched over from blackberry to iphone.

If Apple can't give me a good maps program then why should I be with them when there are other phones that do exactly what the iphone does and more and offers their own maps program?

I honestly am amazed at just how terrible it it especially while driving. And am even more amazed apple hasn't recalled the whole app and brought google maps back. This isn't just a "bad" app. This is a app that wasted one hour of my time today in rush hour traffic. I cherish my free time and that's what pissed me off so much.
Im surprised how reliant people are on the directions. I am not comfortable driving if i havent reviewed the directions and know the major turn offs. I find it funny that people cant be bothererd to check that the map got the rightocation. This isnt even about carrying a paper map its as simple as making sure the place apple picked was correct

Is it possible that there is a business there called fairmont something or other that would have. Tricked it
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #19
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use Google nav a lot, but, put me in the camp that says everyone should have a hardcopy map in their cars. I decided to let Google nav figure out how to get from Calgary to Moose Mtn last summer, and it was an interesting journey on backroads that eventually got us there, but never again would I rely on it.

Curious how the OP would get around a detour. GPS navigation gets pretty fubared when you come to an obstacle, and Google doesn't know about it. "recalculating, do u-turn" ad infinitum.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #20
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

This totally sounds like user error to me. Not that Apple maps doesn't have major issues, but it's silly to trust any mapping software without checking that your destination is correct, especially when you know it has a bad reputation.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote