Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2017, 03:57 PM   #21
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone integrated with the Chamberlain remote garage door?
I see that they announced integration a month ago but want you to pay $10 a year for the ability to connect my Chamberlain door to Google Home.

I don't mind paying $10 a year for one smart device in theory but really worry that this is just the start. Will we soon have a monthly integration fee for each smart device?

I want the integration so I can setup voice alerts and prompts but...
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:00 PM   #22
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
Great tip!

That's one thing I hate about Google's existing system, is you need to tell Google to tell a third party app something. I am looking forward to the day that they get rid of that syntax, and just let you say "Ok Google...." as you've setup a shortcut for.
I don't find that with Wemo or Spotify.
I can say "Hey Google, turn on the stereo" or "Hey Google, play top 40 on the main floor" without specifying what to third party to use.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #23
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
I don't find that with Wemo or Spotify.
I can say "Hey Google, turn on the stereo" or "Hey Google, play top 40 on the main floor" without specifying what to third party to use.
Yeah, there seem to be 2 tiers of "partners" here. Those that are approved or whatever (maybe they pay a license fee), and those who merely use the Google Assistant API. My Hue lights, for example, work perfectly by simply saying "Turn on the Kitchen lights".
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #24
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Google Homes are $99 right now. What a bargain.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #25
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

My wife sold ours for $100 on kijiji yesterday... I didn't know about the sale though. I hope the buyer doesn't feel ripped off.

I think its a cool piece of technology. But it was more of a toy for us. We don't have a smart home, so we have manual light switches, manual thermostat, manual door locks, etc., and anything google home can do, I can do on my phone.

In particular, the "hey google play ____ artist" or "hey google play Christmas music" works on a smart phone too and broadcasts to a smart TV which then relays to the connected receiver.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:46 PM   #26
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I might be in the same boat as Kjesse above, and I'm admittedly pretty ignorant to the capabilities of the technology, so forgive me for the potentially dumb question - but what exactly does Google Home do that's different to what my Android phone can do when I say "OK Google...." to it?

I also don't have any automated lights/appliances/doorlocks/thermostats (yet) but am potentially interested in starting to get some of that stuff.
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #27
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't get why anyone would want a company like Google or Amazon in your home listening all the time.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #28
Chingyul
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
I don't get why anyone would want a company like Google or Amazon in your home listening all the time.
This is the crux of the question of what the Google Home does over the phone.
It's always listening so you don't have to pull out your phone, turn it on (depending on phone), and then trigger Google Assistant. You can just yell/talk to it and it does it. I use it way more for stuff that can be done by the phone, but because it's easier to access, i use it more.
Chingyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #29
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Do you have a smartphone?
If the answer is yes, I'm not sure I understand your concern - as Google/Apple are already on your person 24 hours a day. If you are still rolling with the Motorola flip, I concede your point.

Black Friday sales have Google mini priced at $30 in US (with $10 Best Buy gift card included with each, so net of $20 per).
We now have whole home covered with devices. It is glorious
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:33 PM   #30
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

FYI the Google Home Minis are on sale right now for $39 CDN$ while supplies last...

https://store.google.com/ca/product/..._mini?hl=en-GB
The Following User Says Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post: