Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Where would you like the Flames to go with their jerseys?
Keep with the existing set 9 2.34%
go back to vintage home and away 229 59.48%
go back to 2004 home and away 26 6.75%
minor tweak to the existing set (piping, flags) 40 10.39%
new design that adds black to the retro look 36 9.35%
completely new design 39 10.13%
other (elaborate) 6 1.56%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 07:27 PM   #301
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ken King just said he forsees a day when the retro jersey will be our primary jersey.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #302
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Vintage design or drop black from the design and go with a new red/yellow/white combo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mac_82 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #303
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Ken King just said he forsees a day when the retro jersey will be our primary jersey.
Not until he and his focus group are no longer with this organization. I like the guy too, not trying to drag him through the mud. I just have zero confidence in his sense of style when it comes to uniform aesthetics so unless you love black, there's no point getting hopeful until after he's gone.

I'm already coming to terms with the fact the black isn't going anywhere, I just hope they at least tweak things a bit. For one, can they at least add some colour to the helmet, gloves and pants? A little red and yellow accents on the gloves would be nice. The all black they've been wearing could be worn by any team in any league they're so generic and bland.

We all have differing opinions on the jerseys which is fine, but the gloves, helmet and pants are the true giveaway of how this current design group has no sense of style.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 08:05 PM   #304
P-DAZZLE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

Here is how the Stamps decided to add piping and random geometric shapes to ruin their jerseys:

Not surprisingly the Flames are guilty of both.

I was around on the Stamps end of things when this jersey was being designed. The design was done with just one thing in mind, basically what is seen on the Smith and #11 jerseys. It was realized that the design wouldn't really work with the lineman cut jerseys. Reebok didn't care and just came up with having a second shape for that type of jersey cut. I remember thinking it was weird to have two different designs on the same jersey set.

There were several large issues with Reebok when they took over the CFL contract. I thought a lot of it had to do with the fact it was the CFL so it wasn't very high profile. Wouldn't surprise me if there were some similar issues going through the Edge change. Not sure how things differ with Adidas as the name behind the jerseys considering it's the same company. Point is, sometimes the teams don't get exactly what they want or things can go wrong because too many people/sides are involved.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P-DAZZLE For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 10:42 PM   #305
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-DAZZLE View Post
I was around on the Stamps end of things when this jersey was being designed. The design was done with just one thing in mind, basically what is seen on the Smith and #11 jerseys. It was realized that the design wouldn't really work with the lineman cut jerseys. Reebok didn't care and just came up with having a second shape for that type of jersey cut. I remember thinking it was weird to have two different designs on the same jersey set.
Can you shed some light on the Stampeders recent obsession with black? Is this is due to influence from the Flames, or is it unrelated? It was nice when it was the novelty Labour Day jerseys many years ago, but now the black is overwhelming. And those black helmets.

The uniforms used to be a nice, classic, red and white. Now they look like they're a high school team. (Insert someone's obligatory joke about the CFL).

I'm not completely against black when used correctly, but it seems that the Flames involvement with the Stamps has coincided with more and more black, at the expense of the red. Just so generic and 1990s looking.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 06-13-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:25 PM   #306
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Can you shed some light on the Stampeders recent obsession with black? Is this is due to influence from the Flames, or is it unrelated? It was nice when it was the novelty Labour Day jerseys many years ago, but now the black is overwhelming. And those black helmets.

The uniforms used to be a nice, classic, red and white. Now they look like they're a high school team. (Insert someone's obligatory joke about the CFL).

I'm not completely against black when used correctly, but it seems that the Flames involvement with the Stamps has coincided with more and more black, at the expense of the red. Just so generic and 1990s looking.
I don't think you can blame that on the Flames. The Stamps switched to black pants on the road uniforms in 2007 and added the black helmets in 2011. The Flames bought the team in 2012.

This was the 2008 Grey Cup team...

Old 06-14-2017, 12:11 AM   #307
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Fair point. The timeline in my memory is obviously a bit off. I'll let Ken King off of the hook for this one.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:18 AM   #308
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted vintage, but really I just want the Flames to wear proper Flames colours.

Black is not one of them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 04:10 AM   #309
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I voted vintage, but really I just want the Flames to wear proper Flames colours.

Completely agree. The Flames used to have a unique colour scheme but now look like a slight variation of all the other red and black teams.

The addition of black seems stuck in the 90s when it was considered the best colour ever and so many teams were adopting it. The Kings changed to it, Minnesota and Calgary added it, then Boston, Philly, and Chicago all came out with a black jersey. Most of the expansion and relocated teams of the era also had black in some form including San Jose, Ottawa, Tampa, Colorado, Dallas, Phoenix, and Carolina. It wasn't even immune to the NHL as the Blue Jays adopted that horrible black colour scheme. At least in that case one of my favourite teams listened to fan feedback and eventually went back to their proper colours.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:22 AM   #310
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

Yes, it is. Just accept it.
http://teamcolorcodes.com/calgary-flames-color-codes/
Old 06-14-2017, 07:25 AM   #311
P-DAZZLE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post

I haven't worked for the team since 2007. The equipment manager for the team likes certain retro aspects from the team's history. I believe he was pretty responsible for the use of retro gold pants and retro silver pants. In football the equipment managers seem to have more say over certain things because they are really dependent on safety and are also more directly linked to the team. The team provides helmets and shoulder pads, and just about every piece of equipment. If you compare that to hockey, players are provided equipment in team colours by the companies they are sponsored by. I think this makes things a bit different. Pants are also sometimes weird in the NFL. For example, last year the Baltimore Ravens brought out gold pants out of nowhere. I think the Rams did some kind of unexpected change with their pants too. The NFL has rigid uniform requirements and won't let jersey changes be made without longstanding approval, they also only allow one helmet colour, yet pants are another story. http://www.uni-watch.com/2015/12/21/...uni-watch-164/

Back to the Stamps, they have been quite innovative on a lot of things. The team started using a modern, lighter type of shoulder pads that have a kind of hinge in the chest and back plates when many NFL teams were still not using them. When I worked there they were also looking at different helmet flecking techniques (style of painting). A lot of the game day uniform prep/setup was also pretty top-notch and would be adopted by other teams. I think this led to some things, such as the introduction of black helmets, as well as using varied helmet decals.

Finally, and most topical in a Flames jersey discussion is the main issue with using red. The equipment manager always told me that red was the most difficult to match. If you order different brands, use different materials, or even just get sweat or water on red it can look like totally different shades. I remember talking with him about the Arizona Cardinals uniforms when they would wear red jerseys and red pants. It always looked horrible because they would end up looking different colours, and that's why the Stamps will never do it on his watch, but have worn white-on-white and also black-on-black. I do think technology and manufacturing are continually improving but even recent NFL "Color Rush" red looks (Bucs, Chiefs) have these issues.

Looking at that pic anyone should be able to pick out at least three different shades of red, when they are all actually intended to be the same shade.

Think about how many people don't realize or even argue that the Flames retros and modern jerseys are different shades of red when they are not. I think the retro look may be troubling for the equipment staff. With players wearing so many brands and changing equipment a lot it sure is easier to have them wearing black and white. Even the pants shells come from different companies. I have noticed before that the jerseys, pants, and helmets can be/look slightly off when they wear retros. When they actually wore those jerseys full-time I'm not sure players wore different brands' short shells or even wore shells at all. Also, the helmets back then were garbage and probably were off in colour or even spray painted in the locker room.

Another colour I will say is tough to match is yellow, as I have noticed the Predators helmet colours sometimes seem to be slightly off. They also seem to have trouble having their jersey navy match their navy short shells too.

Look at Subban's shorts blue compared to jersey blue and helmet yellow compared to jersey yellow.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to P-DAZZLE For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #312
P-DAZZLE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

[QUOTE=getbak;6286840]I don't think you can blame that on the Flames. The Stamps switched to black pants on the road uniforms in 2007 and added the black helmets in 2011. The Flames bought the team in 2012.

This was the 2008 Grey Cup team...

I'm pretty sure the Flames have nothing to do with it too. Black was really popular with the Labour Day uniforms and I can't see them buying the team and mandating the use of more black.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:45 AM   #313
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thank you very much for the insight. It is interesting to hear about some of the variables that many don't realize - including myself.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:47 AM   #314
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I remember talking with him about the Arizona Cardinals uniforms when they would wear red jerseys and red pants. It always looked horrible because they would end up looking different colours, and that's why the Stamps will never do it on his watch, but have worn white-on-white and also black-on-black.
Coincidentally, the Stamps wore red-on-red just this past Sunday during their preseason game against Edmonton. I was not a fan...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 07:47 AM   #315
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I'm not greedy. Just get rid of the flags & the piping. They are new jerseys, they need to give people a reason to buy them, especially people who already own one. This would be the least they can do.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #316
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Based on KK's retro comment, I'm hoping whatever is unveiled on Jun 20th with become our third jersey for the 2018-2019 season at which time Flames will go retro home and away (or some minor variant of it) as primaries.

The Following User Says Thank You to YYC in LAX For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 09:02 AM   #317
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I'm not greedy. Just get rid of the flags & the piping. They are new jerseys, they need to give people a reason to buy them, especially people who already own one. This would be the least they can do.
Pretty much all we can hope or at this point imo. I don't mind the idea of having black, but there are ways to do it nicely and so far they really haven't
Old 06-14-2017, 09:16 AM   #318
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Based on KK's retro comment, I'm hoping whatever is unveiled on Jun 20th with become our third jersey for the 2018-2019 season at which time Flames will go retro home and away (or some minor variant of it) as primaries.
My bet is Flames go retro when they move into a new arena.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reign of Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #319
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
My bet is Flames go retro when they move into a new arena.
I wonder how many "no tax dollars for an arena" posters would trade that position if it was part of the deal that the Flames wear retro in exhange for maybe a 20% contribution.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:27 AM   #320
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames 40th season (Calgary) is upcoming also. That's another potential time to do a jersey change.
Closed Thread