Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which goaltender do you hope will be starting for the Flames in the 2017–18 Season?
Jonathan Bernier (UFA) 11 1.76%
Mike Condon (UFA) 5 0.80%
Brian Elliott (UFA) 51 8.16%
Marc Andre-Fleury (Trade) 219 35.04%
Jon Gillies 33 5.28%
Philipp Grubauer (Trade) 73 11.68%
Jaroslav Halak (Trade) 10 1.60%
Chad Johnson (UFA) 3 0.48%
Joonis Korpisalo (Trade) 25 4.00%
Steve Mason (UFA) 14 2.24%
Ryan Miller (UFA) 22 3.52%
Peter Mrazek (Trade) 19 3.04%
Micheal Neuvirth (Trade) 0 0%
Calvin Pickard (Trade) 18 2.88%
Antti Raanta (Trade) 78 12.48%
David Rittich 4 0.64%
Mike Smith (Trade) 35 5.60%
Cam Ward (Trade) 5 0.80%
Voters: 625. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #81
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yep - I like Ferland and he fits on this team. Bur worth more than a mid first round pick? No.
2013 15-30th overall (FOUR complete NHL seasons of development ago):

Pulock
Zadorov
Lazar
Mueller
Rychel
Mantha
Gauthier
Poirier
Burakovsky
Shinkaruk
McCarron
Theodore
Dano
Klimchuk
Dickenson
Hartman

Which of these players is clearly worth more than Ferland four years after their draft? Mantha and Burakovsky? Maybe Theodore with the caveat that he can stop being a defensive tire fire in another four years?

I am as guilty as anybody of overvaluing first round draft picks hoping for the next Tarasenko or Karlsson but realistically speaking there's a reason why the Sabres had no qualm giving up their 21st overall for Robin Lehner, a pseudo-starter. Forwards in this draft range are hopeful 3rd liners and as far as defensemen go teams seem to have better success even deeper into the draft than this range. Ferland is at least a strong 3rd liner right now with more upside than that, I don't know how you can disagree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yep, I am high on Ferland but he's a player that has some great potential on our team but not that much trade value. Or at least not what many home team fans may think. He's not going to be a centre piece right now in any significant trade.
Who said anything about trade value? We are talking about internal value to the team. Ferland is worth more to us than a mid first round pick and there's no reason we should package a player of his value in a goalie trade as it would be pretty much unprecedented in recent history.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 05-12-2017 at 03:19 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #82
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If the Flames are looking for solid, consistent NHL goaltending for a couple seasons until Gillies is ready, I believe Ryan Miller would be a good option.

He was my vote.
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #83
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Who said anything about trade value? We are talking about internal value to the team. Ferland is worth more to us than a mid first round pick and there's no reason we should package a player of his value in a goalie trade as it would be pretty much unprecedented in recent history.

What are you going on about? His name was quite literally brought up because ErickEstrada suggested him as a trade piece to land a goalie and the discussion progressed from there.

Why would a thread about acquiring a goalie also have a random discussion about Michael Ferland's value to our team? He's not Mark Jankowski.

Reading comprehension.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #84
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Philipp Grubauer
2. Antti Raanta
3. Jonathan Bernier
4. Jon Gillies
5. Steve Mason

I'm not big on spending assets for the 2nd summer in a row on a older veteran. Go young.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #85
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Treliving's activity needs to be weighed in terms of best available option relative to acquisition cost. On that measure I don't believe there were many better options than Elliott last summer. Clearly, the cost to acquire Bishop was likewise beyond what Treliving and the Flames are comfortable with surrendering.

It is never just as simple as determining who the best available goalie is and getting him.
Really? Do you think the Leafs wish they had got Elliott instead of Fredrik Andersen?
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:46 PM   #86
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would attempt to sign Ryan Miller to a 1yr deal worth whatever we can afford, have Gillies backing up and then hope that Tyler Parsons dominates the AHL like Carey Price did and be ready after next season.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:46 PM   #87
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean it's possible the Penguins keep Fleury if he leads them to another cup with Tristan Jarry looking promising for them in the farm.

Especially considering the return they'd get for Murray which I expect the Flames would be willing to pay.

Murray should be an option on the poll IMO, but since he's not i'll pick Fleury.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #88
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Did Elliott vote for himself 9 times?
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #89
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I would attempt to sign Ryan Miller to a 1yr deal worth whatever we can afford, have Gillies backing up and then hope that Tyler Parsons dominates the AHL like Carey Price did and be ready after next season.
This. Gillies is the understudy and gets to learn from a solid veteran goaltender.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #90
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
1. Philipp Grubauer
2. Antti Raanta
3. Jonathan Bernier
4. Jon Gillies
5. Steve Mason

I'm not big on spending assets for the 2nd summer in a row on a older veteran. Go young.
See, this is where I'm at. I think the Flames need to take a long look at Mason and Bernier. Neither would require assets to acquire and I think would perform at or above what Elliott did this year. Both could be signed to relatively good deals and wouldn't require the term that Bishop did. Then if Gillies or Parsons is ready to challenge for a spot there's nothing lost other than money.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #91
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
I mean it's possible the Penguins keep Fleury if he leads them to another cup with Tristan Jarry looking promising for them in the farm.

Especially considering the return they'd get for Murray which I expect the Flames would be willing to pay.

Murray should be an option on the poll IMO, but since he's not i'll pick Fleury.
What if the price was Sam Bennett?
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #92
jayswin

Exp:

I'd want to say no to Murray for Bennett straight up, but I'd have to think long and hard. That's a tough decision.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #93
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
Honestly feel like the Flames would do that. The goaltending problem is one that they need to address.

They do not want goaltending to be the problem on this team any longer after it has been the past 2 season with 5 different guys (Ramo, Hiller, Ortio, Johnson and Elliott).

Pay the price for a young solid #1 and move on.

Hopefully if it comes down to that Jankowski can fill the role at #3C.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #94
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know the situation is different but I am drawing some parallels to the Backlund discussion I started a couple weeks back. I was wondering how people felt on selling high with Backlund for a few reasons. The first is the fact he is coming off a career best season and his vsluenis the highest it has been. Secondly he only has a year left on his deal and will cost a lot to retain. Third the Flames have Monahan, Bennett and Jankowski in the fold. This suggestion was almost unanimously rejected with many people stating we can't bank on the guys we have because they are not proven.

Then in this thread a lot of people are full of confidence that Gillies or Parsons will be something sooner than later so the Flames best not go long term with a goalie or sign a cheap stop gap because we have these prospects.

I just say this because I think banking on Monahan, Bennett and Jankowski is a safer bet than either Parsons or Gillies being a starting goalie in the next couple years.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #95
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

you'd start the car if you were offered a stanley cup winning, 22 year old goaltender in the prime of his career under contract for the next three years at 3.75.

Hell, I'd be waiting outside the store with the car already running.

Last edited by Flash Walken; 05-12-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #96
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Sigh. Nothing against the kid but he has to be the most overrated player in the history of CP by a long shot. I would imagine most teams would consider him more of a throw in than a major trading piece. Some pundits had the Flames leaving him unprotected in the expansion draft as that's how little cache his name carries. If he's lucky he may have a 20 goal season in his career and that's only if he's gifted first line ice time as he's already in his prime years and he's not going to get much better than what he already is which is a dime a dozen NHLer.
Regardless of whether or not we agree about Ferland's potential and trade value, he is absolutely more valuable to the Flames now than the #16 pick in the draft. He may or my not be more valuable to another team in exchange for their backup goalie, but I believe history shows that the Flames should be able to acquire a goaltender like Grubauer for less than Ferland, and probably less than the #16 pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #97
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sold. Take that deal and run like hell
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #98
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Voted Raanta
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #99
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The price for Schneider was #9 in the 2013 draft.
Murray is has accomplished more today than Schneider did in 2013.
I hate to lose Bennett, but that is probably the cost... Ouch.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #100
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
you'd start the car if you were offered a stanley cup winning, 22 year old pending RFA goaltender in the prime of his career under contract for the next three years at 3.75.

Hell, I'd be waiting outside the store with the car already running.
Actually yeah, what the hell was I thinking? You do that trade in a heartbeat.