Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 03-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #41
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do we really need Hickey in the Flames line up right now? We have an abundance of D-men, even top prospects like Andersson can't get a game in.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:23 PM   #42
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
According to Hickey's player profile he is enrolled in the College of General Studies, which is pretty strange for a student in their third year. Normally GS is restricted to frosh and sophomore students before they commit to a degree path. Might not mean anything, but strange not seeing him committed to an undergrad degree path.
It makes perfect sense for him to be in general studies - Hickey went to BU to play hockey, not because he has important thoughts on string theory.

I've been saying this for over a year - Brandon Hickey is the most polished defensive prospect this team has, bar none. He's going to be a fan favorite.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:25 PM   #43
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Or you know, the guy who updates the profile page wasn't informed when Hickey chose a major.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #44
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Or you know, the guy who updates the profile page wasn't informed when Hickey chose a major.
A resume from one Thomas Brady of the New England Patriots, for everyone's consideration.

Athletes gonna athlete.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:34 PM   #45
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
A resume from one Thomas Brady of the New England Patriots, for everyone's consideration.

Athletes gonna athlete.
Funny. BU doesn't offer a degree in General Studies. The College of General Studies is a two year program that involves student's moving on to one of their other undergraduate degrees upon completion.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #46
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Funny. BU doesn't offer a degree in General Studies. The College of General Studies is a two year program that involves student's moving on to one of their other undergraduate degrees upon completion.
Hickey is a really smart kid, iirc.
Top end of SAT scores.
Doesn't mean he's not signing soon, but yeah.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:44 PM   #47
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Top end of SAT scores.
I don't doubt Brandon Hickey's intelligence, I'm not trying to say he's an idiot. He plays a very cerebral game, it's evident when you watch him that his awareness is sky high.

I can't wait to see him play for us, and I just think the notion of him sticking in college for academic reasons doesn't hold water. The Flames, from what I recall, either nearly signed him last year or straight told him to go back to school because of the log jam of blue line prospects.

Now, that's less of a concern. Morrison is gone. Culkin maybe. Wotherspoon, same deal. Rasmus may make the jump. Kulak may make the jump. Kanzig is an ECHL player. And that's just prospects.

Stone, Bartkowski and Engelland are all UFAs. Opportunities abound for the lad in Calgary, and I think he takes advantage.

Besides. College is all about the freedom to find your thing. That thing that gets you out of bed at 5am when you went to bed at 4. He's already got that. So he should sign.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 06:00 PM   #48
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Do we really need Hickey in the Flames line up right now? We have an abundance of D-men, even top prospects like Andersson can't get a game in.
I think Hickey is still going to need some seasoning, but we absolutely need to sign him. He can skate as well as Brodie, but he plays more of a Stone type game overall - hard on pucks, rough-and-tough, plays the body, and fearless blocking shots. Also has a one-timer that he can get off without needing a great pass.

A Hickey-Andersson 3rd pair is exactly what you want if you're a cup contender.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:26 PM   #49
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post

Top end of SAT scores.

Great, another uppity smart guy like Hamilton
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #50
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I believe his signing bonus would be $92,500 per season for each year of his contract. Plus his $70,000 per year minor league salary. So $162,500 per year for the term of the ELC would be a lot better than $50,000 per year from his college degree.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:20 PM   #51
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
I believe his signing bonus would be $92,500 per season for each year of his contract. Plus his $70,000 per year minor league salary. So $162,500 per year for the term of the ELC would be a lot better than $50,000 per year from his college degree.
Yes. But barring a significant collapse in his value as a NHL prospect he will still get a 2 year ELC next year from the Flames or another team if he goes back to college.

If he signs now and forgoes the final year of college hockey, the only thing that changes is he gets a 3 year ELC instead of a 2 year. It essentially comes down to whether that extra year of guaranteed money and the prestige of playing pro hockey is enough to entice him away from 1 more year at BU. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

It also gets more interesting in the potential scenarios if burning a year off the ELC is actually on the table but I won't discuss them now.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:01 PM   #52
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It makes perfect sense for him to be in general studies - Hickey went to BU to play hockey, not because he has important thoughts on string theory.

I've been saying this for over a year - Brandon Hickey is the most polished defensive prospect this team has, bar none. He's going to be a fan favorite.
Except a sophomore should be well past having his coursework done for that component of his studies. Should have declared a major by now.

Quote:
Declared major is straight directory information from the registrar's office, so it should be automatically updated. Pretty common practice. Just seems strange to not see a major declared for a sophomore. Probably a clerical error, but just something that seemed out of place for a major university.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:17 PM   #53
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

Declared major is straight directory information from the registrar's office, so it should be automatically updated. Pretty common practice. Just seems strange to not see a major declared for a sophomore. Probably a clerical error, but just something that seemed out of place for a major university.
I highly doubt they link the registrar office's database to the profile webpages of every athlete on their website.

It is more likely a blurb is written for each player when they first come to BU and after every season an update is added.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 10:42 PM   #54
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
I highly doubt they link the registrar office's database to the profile webpages of every athlete on their website.

It is more likely a blurb is written for each player when they first come to BU and after every season an update is added.
Good thing the police aren't after him, otherwise they might waste time searching the general studies lab instead of the hockey lab. The university would be liable for false information. Heads will roll. This is an outrage.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 10:44 PM   #55
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There won't be a direct link, but directory information is straight out of the registrar's office. They are ultimately responsible for that information and there is a legal requirement for it to be up to date. I agree with what you are saying, odds are there is a profile update when the student returns to school in the fall and has the physical data added to the player profile. As I said, likely doesn't mean much, but was just strange to see a third year player identified with a sophomore program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Good thing the police aren't after him, otherwise they might waste time searching the general studies lab instead of the hockey lab. The university would be liable for false information. Heads will roll. This is an outrage.
I know you were trying to be funny but interestingly enough, they are liable for false directory information. FERPA regulations are very explicit in the handing of student information and its accuracy. But that is here nor there and really irrelevant to the discussion.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 03-26-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:21 PM   #56
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sure hope the thread title gets updated once there's some actual news haha. Would be nice to hear what Treliving has to say on the subject.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:43 PM   #57
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Sure hope the thread title gets updated once there's some actual news haha. Would be nice to hear what Treliving has to say on the subject.
"We're disappointed Brandon hasnt chosen a major despite completing his third year of college. That's not how the process is supposed to work"
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 11:52 PM   #58
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
"We're disappointed Brandon hasnt chosen a major despite completing his third year of college. That's not how the process is supposed to work"
Hickey not buying into "the process". Has bust written all over him. Hopefully we can trade his rights while he still has some value
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:42 AM   #59
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Great, another uppity smart guy like Hamilton
I eagerly await Hickey photo bombs!
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 06:45 AM   #60
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
I propose "The Hickey Fake News" thread.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote