Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #3301
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Jankowski - Bennett - Jagr
Versteeg - Stajan - Brouwer

Lazar, Glass extras

Seem like a pretty strong lineup IMO
Where's Freddie???
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #3302
Inferno099
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For this season:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland/Jankowski
Ferland/Jankowski - Bennett - Jagr
Versteeg - Stajan - Brouwer/Lazar/Glass

I believe Jankowski would be a benefit to Gaudreau - Monahan & yes I know he isn't the crash/bang/mucker we're hoping Ferland to be to open things up for the top pair.

Would rotate Jankowski between 1st & 3rd through the season to also get him time with Jagr.

Or else:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett/Jankowski
Ferland - Jankowski/Bennett - Jagr
Versteeg - Stajan - Brouwer/Lazar/Glass

To give Jankowski & Bennett opportunity to play C & both receive Jagr's mentoring and also with the top pair.

I do not think Ferland is a 1st line staple, but would be good to be proven wrong.
Inferno099 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno099 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #3303
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I hope it's not going to take losing games for the Flames to call him up.
I think Treliving is trying to make some roster moves, but the market is very difficult right now. Vegas is going through the same issue as teams are unwilling to help you out when they know you have to make a trade.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #3304
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Do you believe Jankowski would be better served taking F. Hamilton's spot in the press box instead of top-line mins in the AHL? I arepositive that the situation was explained to Jankowski.
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

As for Janko, I'm disappointed that I have to hope/cheer for an injury to have him called up. Something seems wrong there.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #3305
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

two years ago, some users wanted the compensatory 2nd rounder instead of signing Janko. Now people are pissed because there's no NHL spot for him. Oh, how the times have changed ... just goes to show you how good his development has been.

hopefully he's with the team soon, there's no question he's ready and should be an NHLer. I like Inferno099s scenarios, I wouldn't mind Janko and Bennett playing some wing from time to time.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #3306
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryUnderscore View Post
Since you don't understand, allow us to explain it to you. In a salary cap system, asset management is critically important to long-term success. You have to spend your limited financial resources efficiently.

Brouwer was a mistake of a signing. Everyone, including Treliving, is aware of that. Stajan is exactly what you want in a fourth line player, albeit overpaid. These salary problems don't go away if you scratch them every night. You also can't send either down to Stockton; that would only provide you with $950k in cap relief.

Instead of simply scratching either player, you need to make room on your roster for Jankowski. Treliving even said as much in his interview regarding Jagr. Jankowski will be up, but they need to make some roster moves first.

Jankowski is a top 9 player and needs to continue playing big minutes in order to develop. He's not going get that playing 8 minutes a night on the fourth line, so let's not pretend signing Tanner Glass is what kept him from making the team right away.

Jankowski will continue to develop in the AHL, that's not hindering his progress at this point. As soon as Treliving can make room on the roster through a trade, Jankowski will be up with the big club.

This is about what's best for the team long term even if that apparently conflicts with what's best for the team in the short term.
All fair points and there should be a long term focus. As it turns out, Jankowski had zero chance of making the team out of camp as I don't know what more he could have done, and how much worse other players could have been.

That said, there are replacement level players on the roster right now, and some vets who could be cycled through the press box allowing Jankowski to play.

I am waiting to see what Treliving is going to do here. I certainly hope Jankowski is not up in a few games with nothing having changed because then it simply was a case of not icing the best team possible.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #3307
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think Treliving is trying to make some roster moves, but the market is very difficult right now. Vegas is going through the same issue as teams are unwilling to help you out when they know you have to make a trade.
So the natural extension of this is to help each other out, no?? A Brouwer to Vegas for a plug dman move makes a ton of sense.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:45 AM   #3308
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
So the natural extension of this is to help each other out, no?? A Brouwer to Vegas for a plug dman move makes a ton of sense.
Hows is taking on $4.5m X 3 years helping Vegas, they don't have a plug nearly as bad as Brouwer
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #3309
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Hows is taking on $4.5m X 3 years helping Vegas, they don't have a plug nearly as bad as Brouwer
Flames retain, toss in a late pick, take a contract to be buried, whatever it might be. Is it better or worse than carrying around 10 marginal d on your roster?
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:49 PM   #3310
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard a replay of the Conroy/Jagr interview where Connie said none of the young guys stepped up which is why they pulled the trigger on Jagr. At the same time Treliving is saying Janko is ready, they just need to make room. I’m not unhappy about Jagr but why didn’t they move Versteeg to RW and slot Janko in on the left? I get they would like him at Centre but it’s not like they didn’t have options.
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #3311
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Since you don't understand, allow us to explain it to you. In a salary cap system, asset management is critically important to long-term success. You have to spend your limited financial resources efficiently.

Brouwer was a mistake of a signing. Everyone, including Treliving, is aware of that. Stajan is exactly what you want in a fourth line player, albeit overpaid. These salary problems don't go away if you scratch them every night. You also can't send either down to Stockton; that would only provide you with $950k in cap relief.

Instead of simply scratching either player, you need to make room on your roster for Jankowski. Treliving even said as much in his interview regarding Jagr. Jankowski will be up, but they need to make some roster moves first.

Jankowski is a top 9 player and needs to continue playing big minutes in order to develop. He's not going get that playing 8 minutes a night on the fourth line, so let's not pretend signing Tanner Glass is what kept him from making the team right away.

Jankowski will continue to develop in the AHL, that's not hindering his progress at this point. As soon as Treliving can make room on the roster through a trade, Jankowski will be up with the big club.

This is about what's best for the team long term even if that apparently conflicts with what's best for the team in the short term.
You still didn't answer my question, why can't you send Hamilton down to have Jankowski in the lineup. If he's on the team this team is better, this team couldn't keep Ozone possession at all last game, Jankowski would help out big time unless you want this team to get off to another awful start. I would way rather Jankowski be on the team and help the flames win games even if he's playing 8-10 minutes a night, he needs to start learning how to play at the NHL level and the loner we fail to offload ####ty veterans the longer we will have to watch the team play at less than optimal level. But I guess it's all business, who wants to win hockey games that may be crucial to make the playoffs, and let's keep losing to the Oilers.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #3312
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
You still didn't answer my question, why can't you send Hamilton down to have Jankowski in the lineup. If he's on the team this team is better, this team couldn't keep Ozone possession at all last game, Jankowski would help out big time unless you want this team to get off to another awful start. I would way rather Jankowski be on the team and help the flames win games even if he's playing 8-10 minutes a night, he needs to start learning how to play at the NHL level and the loner we fail to offload ####ty veterans the longer we will have to watch the team play at less than optimal level. But I guess it's all business, who wants to win hockey games that may be crucial to make the playoffs, and let's keep losing to the Oilers.
Okay, so let's work this out. You want the team to waiver Hamilton and send him down to the AHL. Let's assume that works out and he doesn't get claimed. The top 9 are already set as:

Versteeg - Bennett - Jagr

Does Jankowski steal any of those spots? Not currently. It's possible that eventually he could take Vertseeg's spot on the third line? But so far Bennett and Versteeg have found some chemistry together, so I'm hesitant to break them up. Currently the fourth line is as follows:

Glass - Stajan - Brouwer

Who comes out of that line in order to slot in Jankowski?

Stajan is exactly what you want in a fourth line player. He's defensively responsible, brings some energy and can add in a few goals. There's no way he should come out if we're trying to ice a good lineup.

Does Brouwer come out? As we've already discussed, if we have any hope of trading him he needs to play. He needs to be put in a position to succeed that will give some other team the belief he can still contribute on their team.

That only leaves Glass. The problem with that is, whether we agree with it or not, the team believes they need to have some grit and toughness in the lineup. The GM has said it, the coach has said it, the captain has said it. They all believe they are better with Glass in the lineup. In which case, the best we could hope for is that Jankowski and Glass swap out on that fourth line.

Now, a couple questions for you.

1. Are you okay with Jankowski playing on the fourth line opposite Brouwer? Is that good for his development?

2. Are you okay with Jankowski being healthy scratched every other game in order to allow Glass to slot in?

It's one thing to say "Waive Hamilton and bring Jankowski up!" It's another thing entirely to find room for him in the lineup and unless they move a body, it's going to be really tough to do so.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #3313
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Jankowski shouldn't be developed on the fourth line
Jankowski should ideally be developed at centre

These two points complicate fitting Jankowski in. I'd be okay with him playing him on the wing on the top 3 lines. But playing him on the fourth line is a total waste and could stunt his offensive confidence
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #3314
nightfx
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I heard a replay of the Conroy/Jagr interview where Connie said none of the young guys stepped up which is why they pulled the trigger on Jagr. At the same time Treliving is saying Janko is ready, they just need to make room. I’m not unhappy about Jagr but why didn’t they move Versteeg to RW and slot Janko in on the left? I get they would like him at Centre but it’s not like they didn’t have options.
Yeah they seem to want to fit players in certain spots like a jigsaw puzzle. Except players are not puzzle pieces, they have the ability to adapt to different positions.

I don't think temporarily playing Jankowski on the wing will stunt his growth at center.
nightfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:54 PM   #3315
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfx View Post
Yeah they seem to want to fit players in certain spots like a jigsaw puzzle. Except players are not puzzle pieces, they have the ability to adapt to different positions.

I don't think temporarily playing Jankowski on the wing will stunt his growth at center.

As it stands it seems like only an injury to one of the centres or trading Stajan will give him a shot. 4th line is not a good long term home so somethings gotta give with the top 3 or move someone to wing.
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:57 PM   #3316
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
What about Brouwer to Vegas for Griffin Reinhart? He's making $800k so we could throw him in the minors and honestly if he got claimed who cares? It gets Brouwer away from the team.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #3317
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't get the hate for starting Janko on the 4th line. Backlund started on the 4th line and he turned out great
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zoller For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #3318
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Glass - Stajan - Brouwer

Glass sits, Stajan goes to LW and Jankowski plays center. You have Stajan on hand as insurance in the faceoff dot, and Brouwer plays the Glass role of 'toughness' and 'grit'.

Freddie Hamilton's presence is really beginning to bother me - ever since I heard Loubo (or was it Wills? Could've been both) talk about how Freddie and Dougie are super close and never separated, I've been wondering: does Dougie have a paid best friend? Are we employing Larry Page? Are we signing Matt Gaudreau to tuck Johnny in at night?

Lazar, Hamilton and Stajan all seem like various versions of the same player to me. Stajan's the vet. We paid a 2nd for Lazar, who has far better career numbers than Freddie in four fewer years. Freddie is Dougie's brother.

Why is he still here again?
Old 10-07-2017, 02:00 PM   #3319
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, so let's work this out. You want the team to waiver Hamilton and send him down to the AHL. Let's assume that works out and he doesn't get claimed. The top 9 are already set as:

Versteeg - Bennett - Jagr

Does Jankowski steal any of those spots? Not currently. It's possible that eventually he could take Vertseeg's spot on the third line? But so far Bennett and Versteeg have found some chemistry together, so I'm hesitant to break them up. Currently the fourth line is as follows:

Glass - Stajan - Brouwer

Stajan is exactly what you want in a fourth line player. He's defensively responsible, brings some energy and can add in a few goals. There's no way he should come out if we're trying to ice a good lineup.

Does Brouwer come out? As we've already discussed, if we have any hope of trading him he needs to play. He needs to be put in a position to succeed that will give some other team the belief he can still contribute on their team.

That only leaves Glass. The problem with that is, whether we agree with it or not, the team believes they need to have some grit and toughness in the lineup. The GM has said it, the coach has said it, the captain has said it. They all believe they are better with Glass in the lineup. In which case, the best we could hope for is that Jankowski and Glass swap out on that fourth line.

Now, a couple questions for you.

1. Are you okay with Jankowski playing on the fourth line opposite Brouwer? Is that good for his development?

2. Are you okay with Jankowski being healthy scratched every other game in order to allow Glass to slot in?

It's one thing to say "Waive Hamilton and bring Jankowski up!" It's another thing entirely to find room for him in the lineup and unless they move a body, it's going to be really tough to do so.
I would be more than inclined to move Jankowski to the wing on the first line or move Bennett to the wing on the top line, or play him as the 4th line center. All make the team better than what it is currently.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:00 PM   #3320
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What about Brouwer to Vegas for Griffin Reinhart? He's making $800k so we could throw him in the minors and honestly if he got claimed who cares? It gets Brouwer away from the team.
I'd make that deal yesterday, and so would Treliving - such a deal is likely not on the table.