Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #101
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ok sorry for bumping an old thread but for the donair lovers you NEED to try Shawarma Palace. They're the best donair I've tasted anywhere. They started off with one on 17 ave se but have recently expanded to Airdrie and Bowness I believe. They have another location as well but not sure where exactly.

They're pretty much printing money and are always jam packed.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #102
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

lately I have really been liking that pita something or other right across from Chinook station.

have also tried Jerusalem and did not really care for their pickled veggies.

I really miss that place that used to be right at the foot of the center street bridge - the sweet sauce had what seemed like some honey in it, and the donair itself was a crumbly gooey mess........
Old 10-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #103
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

At Jerusalem you can order a side of potatoes with garlic sauce, mmmm.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #104
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

My friend Waleed has opened up another location of Barlow Shawarma on 17th Avenue in the block with Made by Marcus.

The original location is beside The Beer Vault. I've always enjoyed his Shawarma with saj bread upgrade. Maybe I can get him to do some sort of CP deal. Stay tuned...

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-17-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #105
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
My friend Waleed has opened up another location of Barlow Shawarma on 17th Avenue in the block with Made by Marcus.

The original location is beside The Beer Vault. I've always enjoyed his Shawarma with saj bread upgrade. Maybe I can get him to do some sort of CP deal. Stay tuned...
+1 for Shawarma Barlow! I literally just ordered from them using Skip the Dishes.

The garlic potatoes are amazing!
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #106
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDJZak View Post
+1 for Shawarma Barlow! I literally just ordered from them using Skip the Dishes.

The garlic potatoes are amazing!
Hmm, been having trouble finding a place with garlic potatoes, may try them out.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #107
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
At Jerusalem you can order a side of potatoes with garlic sauce, mmmm.
Yes, another vote for Jerusalem Shawarma. I go to that place exclusively for Shawarma. I don't think I've patronized another Shawarma joint in the past two or three years (or however long that place on Country Hills has been opened). Their baklava is also great.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:05 PM   #108
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
Yes, another vote for Jerusalem Shawarma. I go to that place exclusively for Shawarma. I don't think I've patronized another Shawarma joint in the past two or three years (or however long that place on Country Hills has been opened). Their baklava is also great.
I don't profess to know where the best places in town are but I have been enjoying their Shawarmas for months now.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:26 PM   #109
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Ok sorry for bumping an old thread but for the donair lovers you NEED to try Shawarma Palace. They're the best donair I've tasted anywhere. They started off with one on 17 ave se but have recently expanded to Airdrie and Bowness I believe. They have another location as well but not sure where exactly.

Went to the Airdrie one after reading this. It was really great value, super friendly staff and was one of the best donairs I have ever had. Thank you for the recommendation.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #110
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The platters themselves are amazing. Never tried the donair or shawarma yet, but will next time. Thanks.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #111
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

There's a NE location in Falconridge. The crew at the 17th one is much better though. Plus they stay open until 4am sometimes. Comes in handy after a long night.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:02 PM   #112
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think I've said this before, but Donair On The Run in Cochrane. Nothing by is even close. On par with anything Haiifax has to offer and I'm a born and bred Maritimer.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #113
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I went and had the Mighty Halifax Donair truck and thought it was brutal. I feel like if you are poor drunk student that's what you would make at 3am. Pita, bit of meat and a white onion.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #114
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverfresH15 View Post
I went and had the Mighty Halifax Donair truck and thought it was brutal. I feel like if you are poor drunk student that's what you would make at 3am. Pita, bit of meat and a white onion.
Halifax donair is so over rated. I don't just mean the food truck but when people hold maritime donairs as some sort of gold standard I just laugh.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 01:52 PM   #115
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

In behind the 32nd Ave Carl's Jr, there is a little strip mall.

In that strip mall is a place called Flames pizza, where they do pizza by the slice, etc.

Their large donair is $6.99 and is a pretty good size. Not the absolute best I've ever had, but far from the worst.

Give it a try
Old 10-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #116
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Any good donair places in the Sundance or Chaparral area? I often find myself around there at lunchtime and don't know of any decent ones that far South.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 05:43 PM   #117
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife and I like The Pita Basket -- it's in the new Airdrie stripmall just off the Yankee Valley Blvd exit there.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:57 PM   #118
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I read that something like 95% of all the donair meat and sauces all come from out east, from a single facility. You guys are basically picking favourites that are providing the same product that could be hit or miss based on freshness.

There have been a few places in town that made their own product, but those are rarer and rarer to find. That place on 17 Ave sw called Sammys is now gone, but he produced all of his own ingredients, you could tell there was a major difference in the flavour from most of the eastern made ingredients (it wasn't necessarily better, but it was certainly not the exact same).
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:31 PM   #119
Grimbl420
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Beirut Bakery on 17th ave S.W. Their chicken shawarma or donair pocket are my go to. If you haven't tried it, it's like a donair but instead of wrapped in pita it is wrapped in dough and then baked (kinda like a shawarma calzone). Owner is super friendly, always gives my kids free baklava.

Last edited by Grimbl420; 10-18-2017 at 09:33 PM. Reason: opps a word
Grimbl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #120
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Almira's in Okotoks. Great chicken shawarma (hutterite chicken). Years ago he offered a prime rib steak shawarma and that was the best shawarma I ever had.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote