Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2017, 06:19 PM   #3501
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Put it this way: every day (not game) that Jankowski is with Stockton instead of Calgary costs him about $4,000...and that doesn't include bonus money that may or may not be realistically attainable were he in the NHL.

If he is upset, it's with good reason in my opinion. I know I would be, too. $4,000/day isn't chump change and especially not at 23 years old. Knowing Brouwer, Stajan, Lazar, F. Hamilton, Glass are on the roster making full NHL cash when you are clearly the better player would be frustrating.

I know we're all hardcore fans of the Flames, but anyone who thinks that wouldn't have an effect is being unrealistic in my opinion.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2017, 07:06 PM   #3502
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Put it this way: every day (not game) that Jankowski is with Stockton instead of Calgary costs him about $4,000...and that doesn't include bonus money that may or may not be realistically attainable were he in the NHL.

If he is upset, it's with good reason in my opinion. I know I would be, too. $4,000/day isn't chump change and especially not at 23 years old. Knowing Brouwer, Stajan, Lazar, F. Hamilton, Glass are on the roster making full NHL cash when you are clearly the better player would be frustrating.

I know we're all hardcore fans of the Flames, but anyone who thinks that wouldn't have an effect is being unrealistic in my opinion.
I'm not willing to concede he isn't better than Ferland, Versteeg or Bennett too. Looking forward to some extended NHL action to really find out.

Its an interesting situation.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:57 PM   #3503
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

4 goals + 1 assist in 8 periods now

Link

Last edited by sureLoss; 10-14-2017 at 08:01 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2017, 08:04 PM   #3504
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post

If he's pissed off because of money he likely won't be much of a player, pissed off because he knows he can make the Flames better is the magic potion we all should want to see
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:12 PM   #3505
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 assists so far tonight
#freeJanko
Old 10-19-2017, 09:51 AM   #3506
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was fine with him going down to start the season thinking there was a 'plan' that would bring him back fairly quickly. Not sure that was the case though.
It also seems obvious to me that he's a better player than Stajan, and possibly a better centre than Bennett. So why cant they make room for this kid?

Pretty sure he gives the team a better chance at winning. Isn't that what matters?

At least he's doing what he needs to down there I guess. Can't help but feel that each day that passes the kid must wonder what the hell does he need to do.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #3507
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think you could argue Hathaway should be playing most nights as well on the 4th line.
6 points in 4 games.
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gunnner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #3508
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It is annoying to not be dressing the best possible line up. Stajan isn't really able to produce any more, as much as he's a good locker room presence. Janks probably should be in his spot at this point. But there is a log jam of contracts at the bottom of the forward group.

Good problem to have, I guess, when you have good NHL talent waiting in the wings. Still annoying.

Last edited by djsFlames; 10-19-2017 at 09:58 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #3509
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

1st line AHL minutes > 4th line NHL minutes. NHL players would disagree with me, but as far as playing time this is the better route for now.

Jankowski will be up in no time.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 09:56 AM   #3510
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Janko unchained
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:58 AM   #3511
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Janko unchained
Djanko*
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #3512
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
1st line AHL minutes > 4th line NHL minutes. NHL players would disagree with me, but as far as playing time this is the better route for now.

Jankowski will be up in no time.
I debated with FDW about this briefly in the backburner forum but curious what your thoughts are too.

In your opinion, why are 1st line AHL minutes better than 4th line NHL minutes?

We've seen our 4th line play against McDavid (god forbid) - no amount of AHL minutes will prepare you for that situation. Our 4th line will practice against NHL goaltenders/players, play at NHL speed, travel with Jagr and play against the best in the world.

In my opinion, the only way to determine whether Janko deserves 3rd, 2nd or even 1st line minutes is to have him in the NHL so we can see what happens when he gets stuck out against Crosby (maybe he dominates him, maybe he doesn't). You can't get a proper evaluation (especially for someone that's 23 years old) in the AHL.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #3513
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

it's great to see Janko still playing great. him and Mangi are having a great start to this season.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #3514
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
I debated with FDW about this briefly in the backburner forum but curious what your thoughts are too.

We've seen our 4th line play against McDavid (god forbid) - no amount of AHL minutes will prepare you for that situation. Our 4th line will practice against NHL goaltenders/players, play at NHL speed, travel with Jagr and play against the best in the world.

In my opinion, the only way to determine whether Janko deserves 3rd, 2nd or even 1st line minutes is to have him in the NHL so we can see what happens when he gets stuck out against Crosby (maybe he dominates him, maybe he doesn't). You can't get a proper evaluation (especially for someone that's 23 years old) in the AHL.
I think it's the reason why we had Hathaway called up the prior season. He's a 4th liner who brings energy and hits. Jankowski on the other hand should not be called up until an injury occurs in the top 9. We see the offensive potential that this guy has, I don't think 9 minutes would suit him well. The more he does FO's, the more ice time he receives in the AHL, the better off he will be in the NHL. I know it's not like that one for everyone, but we can see that Jankowski is proving everyone that he has pretty much dominated the AHL this season. We did have a spot for him (in my opinion), but we decided that Jagr would help us.

The way I see Jankowski in the lineup:
1) Injury to one of Backlund/Monahan/Bennett
2) Hamilton waived, Bennett shifts to LW on the 3rd line.

I think management is waiting for an injury to occur unfortunately. I don't think they want him just getting 4th line minutes. You can easily demote someone from the 3rd line and put Jankowski on the 3rd line, but I don't see management doing that.

FWIW, I want Jankowski in the lineup badly. But I'm not going to complain. We've been this patient, can't we be a tad more?
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #3515
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

As a 4th liner in the NHL, Jankowski would have better teammates, better opponents, better coaching, better facilities, etc. Everything is higher level.

As a 1st liner in the AHL, Jankowski gets an extra 7 minutes of ice time, against opponents who are clearly a level below him.

Not a good tradeoff, in my opinion.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:34 AM   #3516
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
IMO, it's better for him and his development to be playing 20 mins per game in the AHL, getting time on the #1 PP unit, and playing on a line that controls possession for much of the game, versus him getting 12 mins per game on an NHL 4th line, where most of that time is spent dumping and chasing, or just chasing the puck altogether.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #3517
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

If Janko performed well on the 4th line doing limited duty, it's not like he wouldn't get shuffled to see where he best fits. The 4th line isn't a death sentence.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #3518
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
If Janko performed well on the 4th line doing limited duty, it's not like he wouldn't get shuffled to see where he best fits. The 4th line isn't a death sentence.
But the argument isn't about where Janko ultimately ends up, it's about where he's best suited to play between now and then (20 mins 1st line/PP AHL, or 12 mins 4th line NHL)
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:43 AM   #3519
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
As a 4th liner in the NHL, Jankowski would have better teammates, better opponents, better coaching, better facilities, etc. Everything is higher level.

As a 1st liner in the AHL, Jankowski gets an extra 7 minutes of ice time, against opponents who are clearly a level below him.

Not a good tradeoff, in my opinion.
Not to mention ten times the pay
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #3520
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jankowski is 23 years old......

you gonna develop him until he's past his prime?

Kid's only got a solid 5-6 years left in him before his decline starts. I feel bad for him. The Flames haven't given him a fair shake. He should have been up in the NHL last year at the rate he was going. There are far worse players getting regular ice-time in the NHL than Jankowski.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote