Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Calgary Bid on the 2026 Olympics
Yes 286 46.28%
No 261 42.23%
Determine by plebiscite 71 11.49%
Voters: 618. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 11:10 PM   #241
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is why we need to say no to this stupidity - pump $19,000,000 into to something and then tear it down.

Of course the $19,000,000 is really more like $25,000,000.

Just think of what could be done with that money with respect to permanent stuectures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
In the bid exploration report, the corral was envisioned as the 2nd hockey venue. But they recognized that the corral is on its last legs and would require about $19M to bring it up to shape for the Olympics, before it would be demolished right after.

Considering how much money would be required something that's gonna be torn down right away, I would consider investing that money into the twin arenas that would be built along with the fieldhouse, and do it there instead. It would be a venue that's located within an olympic cluster, so it should be ideal.

Also furthur look in the report indicated they were expecting a capacity of 9000 for the fieldhouse curling venue.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:43 PM   #242
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Next step has happened. Feds announce a Bid Corporation (well their support for the establishment of one, because this is the slowest moving runaway freight train around)

https://twitter.com/kirstyduncanmp/s...70163501346816
Old 03-29-2018, 04:12 PM   #243
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Supposedly the Provincial funding is contingent on a plebiscite. Very interesting.

I can see why the referred (delayed) the vote on whether to do a plebiscite. The mayor mentioned "late breaking news", council went in-camera, then right after voted to refer the plebiscite matter to April. Must have known this would be a condition.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #244
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Supposedly the Provincial funding is contingent on a plebiscite. Very interesting.
Bah... I'll vote in it (probably "No") but I disagree with having plebiscites. We're not ancient Greece here... we elect people to represent us for a reason.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:19 PM   #245
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I'm voting yes, and I don't give a #### about how much it costs. I want us to have our moment in the spotlight again.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 04:23 PM   #246
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I'm voting yes, and I don't give a #### about how much it costs. I want us to have our moment in the spotlight again.
Same. Provincial debt will only be what, 96billion in 2024? What's another 4 billion on top for a cool 100billionz? Gimme my pins and Sun Ice jackets!
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 04:27 PM   #247
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Same. Provincial debt will only be what, 96billion in 2024? What's another 4 billion on top for a cool 100billionz? Gimme my pins and Sun Ice jackets!
I honestly couldn't care less about that. Not in the slightest. Cut back on a few Falconridge interchanges, there ya go.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 05:21 PM   #248
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our taxes have never been higher and our services seem at best, the same, if not, worse. Fiscal responsibility be damned, I want a party.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:30 PM   #249
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a good opportunity to showcase Calgary, and I am excited. Yes, hosting events like this costs money, but it's one of the best ways to directly show Calgary to the world for more than 30 seconds and promote ourselves to the fullest, which we have been trying to do for the last three years. I am optimistic a bid would spur a significant amount of investment and interest in Calgary - including infrastructure and new and diversified industries that would have otherwise given us a sniff and a pass.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 07:48 PM   #250
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Our taxes have never been higher and our services seem at best, the same, if not, worse. Fiscal responsibility be damned, I want a party.
Do you mean your taxes have never been lower except for a short period of time where you happened to begin paying taxes?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 07:59 PM   #251
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
It's a good opportunity to showcase Calgary, and I am excited. Yes, hosting events like this costs money, but it's one of the best ways to directly show Calgary to the world for more than 30 seconds and promote ourselves to the fullest, which we have been trying to do for the last three years. I am optimistic a bid would spur a significant amount of investment and interest in Calgary - including infrastructure and new and diversified industries that would have otherwise given us a sniff and a pass.
But where is the evidence that this has happened with prior host cities in the past?

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:14 PM   #252
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

What industries? Do you have data to support this.

Stuns me that folks are ready to roll the dice on billions, just to have a party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Old 03-29-2018, 09:31 PM   #253
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Ain’t no party like a billions dollars party.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:38 PM   #254
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't get why anyone would say no without knowing the full details of a bid. We've got the IOC by the short and curlies here. Let's bid accordingly.

And I'm conscious about municipal funding and somewhat about provincial funding, but I don't give a hoot about federal money being spent or wasted on this. 'Bout time the transfer of wealth changed directions. Let's have a hell of a party on those sweet sweet Quebec and BC dollars.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 10:00 PM   #255
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
I don't get why anyone would say no without knowing the full details of a bid. We've got the IOC by the short and curlies here. Let's bid accordingly.
I don't think we do really. There's going to be a couple other suckers bidding...

https://www.thelocal.it/20180329/mil...inter-olympics
Old 03-29-2018, 10:02 PM   #256
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Good news if we win is that the snow removal plan in February 2026 will be way better than this year

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2018, 10:35 PM   #257
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Yes...if Mexico pays

In reality, no, there are much more useful ways to invest that money for the benefit of Calgarians...

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Old 03-29-2018, 10:38 PM   #258
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
Yes...if Mexico pays

In reality, no, there are much more useful ways to invest that money for the benefit of Calgarians...
This isn't money we'd otherwise get. So it's not like voting no gets these damn potholes patched any sooner.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:41 AM   #259
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
This isn't money we'd otherwise get. So it's not like voting no gets these damn potholes patched any sooner.
Any contribution from the Province or City could be used elsewhere...Federal funds not so much. But there is a huge opportunity cost here.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Old 03-30-2018, 08:04 AM   #260
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
Any contribution from the Province or City could be used elsewhere...Federal funds not so much. But there is a huge opportunity cost here.
I don't think it's that simple. Maybe some of the provincial money would be earmarked for infrastructure upgrades. But they would be digging deeper here.
Closed Thread