Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2018, 08:20 PM   #1
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Gaudreau with a career high in points

I know everyone is pissed off about the recent game and this team’s effort, but Johnny has been outstanding this year and I think his play deserves to be acknowledged regardless of this team’s record. Currently at 79pts in 70 games, would be pretty awesome if he can somehow get to 90.

A great season coming off the back where many were questioning what level of player he is. He’s elite and it would be a shame if he doesn’t see the playoffs this year.

Go Flames

Last edited by Beninho; 03-11-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

He's a truly incredible player. I just wish he had more help up front.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, he’s been a pleasure to watch all year. Just hoping this team somehow can get into the playoffs so year two of his awesome contract will not be wasted.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #4
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's an elite player for sure. So fun to watch.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #5
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He’s been our MVP this season IMO. When you figure in on 40% of your teams goals and produce in 29 of the team’s 34 wins. Yeah, that’s not just team MVP type numbers, that’s Hart Trophy material right there.

All I can say is we’re lucky to have him and he doesn’t receive nearly as much credit and adoration that he deserves from the league and from this fanbase. McDavid is beloved up north and we have our own version here and he’s really not that far off.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 08:43 PM   #6
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fantastic. Blame our brutal coaching staff for burning a year of JG's contract with nothing to show for all of his achievements this season.

Pisses me off to no end.

EDIT: Free of GG's "system" Johnny would probably be leading the NHL in all scoring categories.

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 03-11-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #7
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Fantastic. Blame our brutal coaching staff for burning a year of JG's contract with nothing to show for all of his achievements this season.

Pisses me off to no end.
It’s very frustrating, I think Johnny should really get an A next season. He’s brought it every single game this season. He forchecks harder than any other forward while being half the size. It’s been a pleasure watching him this season. The team hasn’t been showing up when they need to but Johnny sure has.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #8
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Career year when we inevitably miss the playoffs?

Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:59 PM   #9
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post

Pisses me off to no end.

EDIT: Free of GG's "system" Johnny would probably be leading the NHL in all scoring categories.
Ummm no. Gaudreau is already on pace for 93 points and that’s him blowing away his previous career high. Johnny isn’t going to win the scoring title with Monahan and Ferland as his linemates. No offense to these guys, but they’re not elite drivers of play. If Johnny played with a Laine, or Stamkos or a Malkin, I could see him winning an Art Ross.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:06 PM   #10
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Ummm no. Gaudreau is already on pace for 93 points and that’s him blowing away his previous career high. Johnny isn’t going to win the scoring title with Monahan and Ferland as his linemates. No offense to these guys, but they’re not elite drivers of play. If Johnny played with a Laine, or Stamkos or a Malkin, I could see him winning an Art Ross.
There's nothing wrong with Monahan. There's very few players averaging 30 goals a game over the last 4 seasons. Sean Monahan will be among a literal dozen of them at the end of the season.

If you need another Art Ross winner to center you to win it, you probably don't deserve it.

Ferland is a fair argument, but it's not like McDavid, Malkin or Crosby were dealing with much better. And certainly not Iginla.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #11
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
There's nothing wrong with Monahan. There's very few players averaging 30 goals a game over the last 4 seasons. Sean Monahan will be among a literal dozen of them at the end of the season.

If you need another Art Ross winner to center you to win it, you probably don't deserve it.

Ferland is a fair argument, but it's not like McDavid, Malkin or Crosby were dealing with much better. And certainly not Iginla.
There’s nothing necessarily wrong with Monahan. He just doesn’t convert on enough grade A scoring chances for my liking and he goes invisible when he isn’t scoring.

But my main point is, Johnny doesn’t have enough elite talent surrounding him to be an art ross winner. His PP numbers are amongst the lowest among his comparable peers whereas the Penguins can load up with Kessel, Crosby and Malkin or Tampa with Kucherov, Hedman and Stamkos and etc.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:18 PM   #12
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
His PP numbers are amongst the lowest among his comparable peers
Have you seen McDavid's?
Old 03-11-2018, 09:23 PM   #13
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There’s nothing necessarily wrong with Monahan. He just doesn’t convert on enough grade A scoring chances for my liking and he goes invisible when he isn’t scoring.

But my main point is, Johnny doesn’t have enough elite talent surrounding him to be an art ross winner. His PP numbers are amongst the lowest among his comparable peers whereas the Penguins can load up with Kessel, Crosby and Malkin or Tampa with Kucherov, Hedman and Stamkos and etc.
I think Tkachuk on a line with him could change that, we shall see what the future holds I guess. Really don’t want Gaudreau’s time here to be wasted, probably the funnest players to watch since I’ve been a Flames fan.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:39 PM   #14
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gaudreau has now passed Mark Scheifle and sits 4th in points from the 2011 draft. Only 17 points behind RNH who's played over a hundred games more.

Gabriel Landeskog GP 492 G 140 A 188 P 328

Nikita Kucherov GP 352 G 142 A 180 P 322

His Tenderness GP 445 G 113 A 187 P 300

Johnny Gaudreau GP 302 G 94 A 189 P 283

He'll easily end up with the the highest point totals out of that draft class at this rate, as soon as the next year or two.

edit: Well, maybe not easily at second glance. Kucherov might have a thing or two to say about it by the end of things.

Last edited by Buzzard; 03-11-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #15
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Celebrating the individual achievements of a single player in a non-playoff season on a miserable team is quintessential Oilers.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #16
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not so sure that he's going to make it. He'll need to score 9,545 goals over the next dozen games to get that average up to 30 goals a game.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to gargamel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #17
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember when people complained about Gaudreau's road production? He has been incredible on the road this year.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:10 PM   #18
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
I'm not so sure that he's going to make it. He'll need to score 9,545 goals over the next dozen games to get that average up to 30 goals a game.
They still have 2 games against the Oilers though so very possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 10:12 PM   #19
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Have you seen McDavid's?
You mean the generational #1 overall pick vs the 4th round pick in Gaudreau? Surprise, Surprise, McDavid is better. Of course he is. But Gaudreau isn’t far off and we’re lucky to have him and in my opinion, he’s very under appreciated around here.

Without him, we’re a bottom feeder this season without a 1st round pick.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:19 PM   #20
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Celebrating the individual achievements of a single player in a non-playoff season on a miserable team is quintessential Oilers.
I guess we should just be ripping on this team and firing everybody instead because we didn’t win 1 or 2 extra games. It’s not like we were out of it by November. If anything, all this thread tells me is that Gaudreau needs more help from the rest of the roster.