Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2018, 08:17 AM   #21
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

WoW - by a huge margin, When my body dies, I want my brain put in a jar connected to a computer that's running an infinite loop of Warsong Gulch.

Battlefield 1942 & Team Fortress 2 - only FPS games I've ever loved.

GTA: Vice City - Great soundtrack, great missions, great finale.

I want to say Portal, but it's a 6 hour game with no replay value (fan made puzzles don't cut it for me), that's a drop in the bucket compared to the /played of the above.

Last edited by Matata; 03-12-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:28 AM   #22
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Mass Effect 2
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #23
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

morrowind should be mentioned too. Good damn game.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 08:41 AM   #24
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Gamespy!
Man, that takes me back.
Whoa! I prob played you at some point. I was in Resurrection, GyZ, and my later days me and Leprachaun founded TEC. Gamespy.... I can't really remember what clan I was with then.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #25
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, yet again, serious issues here. First, Mass Effect rather than ME2? You can pick ME2. It came out in 2009 and is better in every way. I mean, I'd probably have left both of them off because I consider them to be primarily console games, but if you're including the first then you can clearly include the second.

A bigger problem is that Dragon Age: Origins isn't on there. Now, there IS a game that is very clearly a PC-first game, it's a better version of everything done in KOTOR (minus the Star Wars theme), and coming out later in the decade had about as good a visual experience as you were going to get. Great voice acting, too. I know people have nostalgia for the KOTOR games, but as time went on, Bioware got better.

Portal is an obvious omission, even though Portal 2 is again better. They straddled the decade cutoff though.

But here's the biggest problem, and it's basically an instant disqualification: Deus Ex. It was released in 2000. It was obviously the best PC game of the 2000s. For the longest time it was considered the best PC game ever - most notably, PC Gamer had it as the best PC game ever made at the end of the decade, which says something. Hell, even in the past couple of years, it's still a matter of debate for some people:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...he-conclusion/

Or, you know, if you have two hours to spend watching a review, for some reason.
Spoiler!

Basically, regardless of how many people play WoW due to its addictive quality, it again is not actually in the same league as something like this. For me, a "best games" list is about elevating the genre to something approaching an art form, and that's what Deus Ex did. If your top ten doesn't have it, your top ten is wrong.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #26
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Basically, regardless of how many people play WoW due to its addictive quality, it again is not actually in the same league as something like this. For me, a "best games" list is about elevating the genre to something approaching an art form, and that's what Deus Ex did. If your top ten doesn't have it, your top ten is wrong.
I have no problem with your opinion but the community and online interaction in WoW from 2004-2009 to me has been unparalleled in the video game world. It was truly something you can no longer experience. That's what made it so special.

Sure, it built upon what EverQuest started, but it refined and perfected it. It was art in its truest form, and unlike Dues Ex, I can't just download it on Steam and experience it again.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #27
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that you can't re-experience it tells you something about the quality of the underlying game, though, doesn't it? When the community is what makes the game good, it's a good community, not necessarily a good game. Not that it can't be both, but people have had that experience in a number of online game communities (for me it was probably Jedi Knight II).

There are also games that are online-focused but the underlying game experience is really what you're there for. I mean, think about something like Unreal:Tournament, which was also more or less fully dependent on an online community of players. You could pretty easily put together 20 people in a room with a bunch of PC's and have just as much fun playing that as ever.

I guess it depends on how you judge these things but in my view, if it's a "best games list", you're looking for the actual best games, not the ones that took off with a certain subset. If that were the case then it's wholly unforgivable to not put Diablo II on there, for instance.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #28
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The fact that you can't re-experience it tells you something about the quality of the underlying game, though, doesn't it? When the community is what makes the game good, it's a good community, not necessarily a good game. Not that it can't be both, but people have had that experience in a number of online game communities (for me it was probably Jedi Knight II).
I mean we both know that isn't true. WoW is still around but very few people would still consider it a good game.

It has changed so much from 2009 that it is hardly the same game.

Yeah, the community and realm experience made it special, but Blizzard created an environment for that to grow and be nurtured.

That's just truly special to me.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #29
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, I was a serious war gamer in the 2000's. Counterstrike, Call of Duty, Operation Flashpoint, Solider of Fortune, Battlefield 1942, Battlefield: Vietnam, Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2: Special Forces (the last one was just insanely good). From like 2004-2009, I put so many gaming hours in at the Switchbox on 14th Street that it's almost embarrassing.

In BF2:SF, I would always plant C4 explosives on the bellies of airplanes, and then hide. Once the enemy had those puppies in the air, I would detonate them and those things would fall out of the sky in a blaze of fire. I got way too good at that, doing it from behind enemy lines.

Other amazing PC games were Left 4 Dead / Left 4 Dead 2, The Sims / Sims 2 / Sims 3 / Sims: University, SimCity 4, Max Payne, Diablo 2

I still remember this 2003 commercial for the very first Call of Duty which got me hooked on that game; this commercial is still so awesome:

Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #30
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I have no problem with your opinion but the community and online interaction in WoW from 2004-2009 to me has been unparalleled in the video game world. It was truly something you can no longer experience. That's what made it so special.

Sure, it built upon what EverQuest started, but it refined and perfected it. It was art in its truest form, and unlike Dues Ex, I can't just download it on Steam and experience it again.
Just like to point out that Deus Ex Game of the Year addition is available on Steam
There is also an active MOD community that has been remodelling the game to modern graphics. I think it's the same people that do those Skyrim mods that makes everything photorealistic

I would also add Deus Ex to the list of top games. It was a rare game that gave players choices that affect their destiny. The game fundamentally asks you how you would change the world, be it by being the invisible hand, reboot the technology that makes the world, or act as benevolent dictator

Obviously it'll be dated today in terms of game play, but at the time, it would was the first of it's kind First person RPG, and many other games would be influenced by it.

LChoy
Old 03-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #31
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Man, I was a serious war gamer in the 2000's. Counterstrike, Call of Duty, Operation Flashpoint, Solider of Fortune, Battlefield 1942, Battlefield: Vietnam, Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2: Special Forces (the last one was just insanely good). From like 2004-2009, I put so many gaming hours in at the Switchbox on 14th Street that it's almost embarrassing.

In BF2:SF, I would always plant C4 explosives on the bellies of airplanes, and then hide. Once the enemy had those puppies in the air, I would detonate them and those things would fall out of the sky in a blaze of fire. I got way too good at that, doing it from behind enemy lines.

Other amazing PC games were Left 4 Dead / Left 4 Dead 2, The Sims / Sims 2 / Sims 3 / Sims: University, SimCity 4, Max Payne, Diablo 2

I still remember this 2003 commercial for the very first Call of Duty which got me hooked on that game; this commercial is still so awesome:

Agreed!
Old 03-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #32
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Whoa! I prob played you at some point. I was in Resurrection, GyZ, and my later days me and Leprachaun founded TEC. Gamespy.... I can't really remember what clan I was with then.
I think I went by Techo Destructo. Or maybe I just went by Techno.
But you know, numbers replacing some letters and other dumb symbols in the name.

GyZ is really familiar.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #33
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was also an amazing, yet obscure, game released in 2002 called Porrasturvat, which means stair dismount. You just push someone down some stairs and collect points based on how severely they bounce and injure themselves. The sound effects were top notch too!

There was a 3-minute fan video that was made, too:

Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:59 PM   #34
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Mech Commander was probably my favorite series that hasnt been listed

Also cant forget Police and Kings Quest and Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego (god I am old).

Sid Meier's Pirates

Sid Meier's Colonization

temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #35
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

No love for Tribes 2?! It'll always be my favorite FPS. Everything else I think is listed above, definitely agree with Dota being on the list.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #36
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Call of Duty 1 & 2
Why would you pick these two Call of Duty games? There were at least 4 better COD games released in the 2000s than those ones. The series went downhill fast after Black Ops, but the stretch from COD4 to Black Ops were some of the best FPS games ever made.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:35 AM   #37
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

2000s are the golden age of gaming, at least for me. theres way too many amazing games to narrow down to a list like this.

I personally have a very clear top 3 though.
Battlefield 1942
GTA San Andreas
Rainbow Six 3
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #38
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

My gaming time really declined in the 2000's due to work and later family. I still think Baldur's Gate 2 (2000) holds up pretty well. I dabbled in various MMORGs, while from a game mechanics point of view I think it sucked I'd agree WoW led the pack in terms of depth of world. I enjoyed Jedi Knight II and its pseudo-sequel Jedi Academy, though both had their flaws.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:52 AM   #39
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Baldur's Gate 2
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #40
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a lot of gaming for me in the 2000's, most notable in my head was playing the Forgotten Hope BF42 mod and I got pretty heavy into EVE Online for about 2 years (Goonfleet!).
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote