Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #41
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was a lot of a split opinion on Barzal in his draft year, and I wouldn't have been surprised if the Flames went in a different direction. I think they would have gone to a dman, probably Chabot, but perhaps Zboril.
I don't think Boeser would have been likely in that spot.
Connor though maybe.
Hard to know how it would have played out. The important thing is that it worked out well for the Flames and terribly for the Oilers. That's a win-win no matter how you slice it.
And actually I mean that with some sincerity. If the Flames hadn't gotten Hamilton, the Oilers very may well have instead of making that awful Reinhart deal.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 04:12 PM   #42
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Dougie. There’s nothing that indicates we would have picked Barzal.
I think you misread the question. He wasn't asking if you had the 15th overall back and could have selected Barzal. He asked a hypothetical question where we did draft Barzal.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #43
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not enough Martin Jones talk in this scenario. The Cascade of events in that alternate universe could have the Flames getting Jones and having extra picks for a lesser RHD than Dougie, AND still have higher picks in this draft.

Either way, all three choices are strong. We got Dougie, no one is complaining about that. But Barzal man, holy moly would he look great along side Monahan and Gaudreau right now. Or, Barzal/Bennett. Or Janko/Bennett/Barzal. Or Tkachuk/Backlund/Barzal. Just the crazy amount of options there are tantalizing

Then again, say the Flames did get Jones or Barzal, do they develop into what they are now in the Flames organization? I've always believed players flourish or flounder under different teams.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #44
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
None of the above. I would want Brock Boeser. A Tkachuk-Bennett-Boeser line would give opponents fits.
Would that be the real, wildly inconsistent, zero IQ left winger Bennett playing centre on that line? Or would that be the tenacious, highly skilled, second coming of Doug Gilmour that we all dreamed about in 2014 version of Bennett?
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #45
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quite possible they don’t trade for Hamilton and instead the next year our draft position is different and we don’t get the opportunity to draft Tkachuk.
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:03 PM   #46
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Easily Dougie for me. Big RH top Dmen are hard to find and the Flames defence would be horrible without him. Jones would have been nice but he is really just an average starting goalie and trading a 1st for a goalie is risky. Barzal or Boeser would also be great but the Flames didn't trade these players, they traded the 15th overall pick. Based on the value of the picks getting Hamilton was a steal.

When I think about tough decisions in hindsight I look at the 2012 draft. Would you rather have Jankowski, Hertl, Maata, or Vasilevskiy? I'd go with the goalie although I'm happier with Janko than the other two.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #47
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think any of the three players would be a wrong choice. It's easy to look back and say gee we could have had this or that, we still have a very good player who will be a great benefit for the team for years.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:12 PM   #48
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
He's on pace for almost 90 points and outscoring Tavares. He's already a superstar.
2 superstar centers...bottom feeder team
Old 03-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #49
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
There was a lot of a split opinion on Barzal in his draft year, and I wouldn't have been surprised if the Flames went in a different direction. I think they would have gone to a dman, probably Chabot, but perhaps Zboril.
I don't think Boeser would have been likely in that spot.
Connor though maybe.
Hard to know how it would have played out. The important thing is that it worked out well for the Flames and terribly for the Oilers. That's a win-win no matter how you slice it.
And actually I mean that with some sincerity. If the Flames hadn't gotten Hamilton, the Oilers very may well have instead of making that awful Reinhart deal.
M
Craig Button has always been high on Boeser, so I think Tod would be as well.

He fit the exact profile of what the Flames were looking for. Prior to the draft I thought for sure they would take him.

But Tre probably thought it would take Boeser at least 4 or 5 years to make an impact. Not in the Canucks wildesst dreams did they think Boeser would be this good this fast.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #50
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
M
Craig Button has always been high on Boeser, so I think Tod would be as well.

He fit the exact profile of what the Flames were looking for. Prior to the draft I thought for sure they would take him.

But Tre probably thought it would take Boeser at least 4 or 5 years to make an impact. Not in the Canucks wildesst dreams did they think Boeser would be this good this fast.
I would wager a lot that Treliving did not think Boeser was 4 or 5 years away. That's Jankowski territory.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #51
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Barzal for me in hindsight. I like Dougie. I don't look at that trade as a bad trade by any means. But I also think Dougie is seriously overvalued here.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:16 PM   #52
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
Barzal for me in hindsight. I like Dougie. I don't look at that trade as a bad trade by any means. But I also think Dougie is seriously overvalued here.
Top goalscoring defenseman in the NHL overvalued? What does this guy have to do to get respect? Hell even advanced stats back up that he’s really good.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 07:20 PM   #53
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
It’s not like he’s tied for the lead in goals for a Dman. He’s rated exactly where he should be, and that’s one of the best young Dmen in the NHL. He’s 24 and has 2 40+ seasons one 50 pt season and he may even get 50 pts again this year while not being used on the first PP unit for more than half the season. He’s a star and we are lucky he’s on this team. How’s he overvalued? He’s very much undervalued looking through this thread.

Last edited by Beninho; 03-10-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:21 PM   #54
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
2 superstar centers...bottom feeder team
Look at their goals against. Worst in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Barzal isn't a superstar, he's having an amazing season but that's all it is, one season. I still take Hamilton because D is more important to the team and he's the real deal. If you could guarantee that Barzal plays like this every year, it's a different story.
How often does a 19 year old put up 80+ points and not turn into a perennial all star? I literally can't think of a single example.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 07:25 PM   #55
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think people realize how lucky the Islanders were that Barzal fell to 16th, just about every scout/media "expert" had him ranked top 10 and some as low as 6th. His skating and hockey sense was off the charts, had he had teammates with any talent he may have been a top 5 pick. I believe if Treliving had even a clue he might be available at 16... I doubt he gives up that pick.

The complete morons here are Boston who passed on a consensual top 10 pick three times, although DeBrusk turned out better than I expected I still remember shaking my head at the bums Boston took with 3 strait picks before Barzal was taken, All 3 were reaches and the Flames pick (Senyshyn) wasn't on any scouts 1st round list.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #56
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I don't think people realize how lucky the Islanders were that Barzal fell to 16th, just about every scout/media "expert" had him ranked top 10 and some as low as 6th. His skating and hockey sense was off the charts, had he had teammates with any talent he may have been a top 5 pick. I believe if Treliving had even a clue he might be available at 16... I doubt he gives up that pick.

The complete morons here are Boston who passed on a consensual top 10 pick three times, although DeBrusk turned out better than I expected I still remember shaking my head at the bums Boston took with 3 strait picks before Barzal was taken, All 3 were reaches and the Flames pick (Senyshyn) wasn't on any scouts 1st round list.
Yea at the time I thought New Jersey was going to take him 6th overall. It was crazy watching him fall that far.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #57
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

In hindsight the flames never should have drafted Sam Bennett
Old 03-10-2018, 07:38 PM   #58
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Look at their goals against. Worst in the league.

How often does a 19 year old put up 80+ points and not turn into a perennial all star? I literally can't think of a single example.
League worst goals against tells me they might be cheating just a touch.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #59
Bezer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Give me Dougie, if he is on the #1 PP all year he leads the league in goals by a Dman
Bezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:46 PM   #60
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
League worst goals against tells me they might be cheating just a touch.
It tells me that they have Halak and Greiss in net.